2019 NCAA Tournament

Started by Greek Tragedy, October 06, 2018, 10:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan Q

Quote from: fantastic50 on February 25, 2019, 04:49:22 PM
Based on my computer rankings (of best teams, not most deserving of tournament bids), here is a similar breakdown...

Top left (Whitman) bracket
Top 25 teams: Five (2, 7, 13, 18, 22)
Top 50 teams: 7
2nd 50 teams: 5
Sub-100 teams: 4

Bottom left (Rochester) bracket
Top 25 teams: Four (6, 8, 9, 17)
Top 50 teams: 9
2nd 50 teams: 4
Sub-100 teams: 3

Top-right (Nebraska Wesleyan) bracket

Top 25 teams: Nine (1, 4, 5, 11, 12, 14, 16, 19, 24)
Top 50 teams: 10
Sub-100 teams: 2

Bottom-right (Augustana) bracket
Top 25 teams: Five (3, 15, 20, 21, 25)
Top 50 teams: 10
Sub-100 teams: 2

It's pretty clear which one is the toughest (though it could have been worse this year.)

The "Rochester bracket" is actually the "Amherst bracket." 

The top four seeds are: Whitman, Nebraska Wesleyan, Augustana, Amherst.  (I believe in that order.)

Viking Mike

So in regard to sectional play from what I've been reading here....... if seeds hold, 3 of the 4 top seeds would be playing their sectional games on another teams floor, and possibly against          the home team and its fans!  How does that benefit these teams who have played so well all year and built up such a large fan base following?  Certainly levels the playing floor for the lower seed host school.

I know cost is the deciding factor always. Wish it wasn't!

Swish3

Quote from: Viking Mike on February 26, 2019, 03:05:50 PM
So in regard to sectional play from what I've been reading here....... if seeds hold, 3 of the 4 top seeds would be playing their sectional games on another teams floor, and possibly against          the home team and its fans!  How does that benefit these teams who have played so well all year and built up such a large fan base following?  Certainly levels the playing floor for the lower seed host school.

I know cost is the deciding factor always. Wish it wasn't!

Ain't it great how the NCAA treats D3?!?!

Gregory Sager

Look at it this way, Swish3: We're playing on D1's dime. D1 football and men's basketball basically fund the entire organization.

D3 tournaments definitely do not break even, regardless of sport.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 26, 2019, 03:22:18 PM
Look at it this way, Swish3: We're playing on D1's dime. D1 football and men's basketball basically fund the entire organization.

D3 tournaments definitely do not break even, regardless of sport.

D1 football actually has nothing to do with this. NCAA makes NO money on big time D1 football. Those bowl games and the Bowl Championship Series money goes to the conferences and the schools - nothing goes to the NCAA. That's because it isn't an NCAA Championship. The NCAA may certify the games, but they don't see a penny. I've said for years, NCAA should punt D1 BCS and have nothing to do with it, because they get nothing from it (there are a lot of sports schools have that the NCAA doesn't have anything to do with).

If the NCAA was involved, it would be a traditional championship tournament like FBS.

The money basically comes from the D1 men's tournament primarily. There is some other money in other tournaments, but not much (the DI women's basketball tournament is essentially a trade-out with ESPN).

To Swish's point ... the "NCAA" in all avenues is the membership. DIII approves it's own rules. They decide how to best use their money. It is similar to what other sports and other divisions do, but DII does things different than DIII does with basketball, for example. Those in Indy just execute what DIII membership chooses to do.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

AndOne

Dave,

It might just be foggy old age memory, but I seem to recall reading someplace on the boards a few years ago just what percentage of it's annual budget the NCAA spends on D3, and the figure was minuscule. Yes? No?

Pat Coleman

The figure is 3.18%, yes. And that number is established in the NCAA constitution, so any change to our percentage of D-II's percentage would require broad-based support.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 26, 2019, 05:15:06 PM
The figure is 3.18%, yes. And that number is established in the NCAA constitution, so any change to our percentage of D-II's percentage would require broad-based support.

I guess I've always wondered why d3 and d2 don't get together to just raise their own percentages.  They've got 2/3rds of the membership, right?  Or does it require 3/4ths?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hickory_cornhusker

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 26, 2019, 09:07:12 PM

I guess I've always wondered why d3 and d2 don't get together to just raise their own percentages.  They've got 2/3rds of the membership, right?  Or does it require 3/4ths?

Fear of possibly biting the hand that feeds them could be it. If The D1 schools don't like giving up more of their money they may leave and D2 and D3 could end up with nothing.

fantastic50

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 26, 2019, 09:07:12 PM

If it requires the NCAA Board of Gouvernors to sign off, remember that it has 16 from D1, 2 from D2, and 2 from D3 (soon to be joined by 5 more from outside.)

Ralph Turner

I can see the Whitman sectional as being the new West Region when basketball expands to 10 regions.

Only Pool A bids are playing in Walla Walla.

On the Horizon, we have:

ASC (12 members after UT-Tyler departs and Belhaven comes on board).
NWC (9 members)
SCAC (10 members when Johnson & Wales Colorado and Univ of St Thomas in Houston TX come on.)
SCIAC (9 members).

There are your 40 teams and 4 conferences to make a new West Region. Or shall we call it an archipelago?

sac

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 26, 2019, 10:15:34 PM
I can see the Whitman sectional as being the new West Region when basketball expands to 10 regions.

Only Pool A bids are playing in Walla Walla.

On the Horizon, we have:

ASC (12 members after UT-Tyler departs and Belhaven comes on board).
NWC (9 members)
SCAC (10 members when Johnson & Wales Colorado and Univ of St Thomas in Houston TX come on.)
SCIAC (9 members).

There are your 40 teams and 4 conferences to make a new West Region. Or shall we call it an archipelago?

As Ralph knows, this is what baseball is like in Division III, and others are like this as well.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Wooster Booster

...when basketball expands to 10 regions.

When is this going to happen, and why?  Eight works perfectly!

kiko

Quote from: Wooster Booster on February 26, 2019, 11:48:15 PM
...when basketball expands to 10 regions.

When is this going to happen, and why?  Eight works perfectly!

The complaint with eight (one of them, at least) is that there is a disparate number of teams per region.  (Example - 75 in the Northeast and 36 in the Mid-Atlantic.)  This leads to a different number of teams being regionally ranked since the number ranked is determined by a ratio.  And more regionally ranked teams means more chances for vRRO results in the regions with more teams.

One of the goals with the switch to ten is to even out the number of teams to be about 40ish per region.