BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teddy_Ballgame

Say this posted somewhere else, with a focus on the football element: http://www.kltv.com/story/37235397/ut-tyler-applies-for-division-ii-status-could-bring-college-football-to-tyler

But how would that impact the ASC in baseball? Haven't followed the conference much in the last few years, but I know Tyler made a few regionals when I played for Pomona-Pitzer c/o 2011. Seemed like a good program, and would be a tough loss for the conference and the west region.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Teddy_Ballgame on January 10, 2018, 03:28:10 PM
Say this posted somewhere else, with a focus on the football element: http://www.kltv.com/story/37235397/ut-tyler-applies-for-division-ii-status-could-bring-college-football-to-tyler

But how would that impact the ASC in baseball? Haven't followed the conference much in the last few years, but I know Tyler made a few regionals when I played for Pomona-Pitzer c/o 2011. Seemed like a good program, and would be a tough loss for the conference and the west region.

I think that would be a huge loss in Baseball simply for the SOS factor.  UTT fields consistently good teams that help boost the SOS for a lot of teams, and it takes away for great trips like La Verne and Whitworth are taking this year.  They have also hosted a few regionals lately but after forgetting to tarp the field this past May I am not sure how happy the NCAA is with them.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jack Parkman on January 10, 2018, 08:53:11 PM
Quote from: Teddy_Ballgame on January 10, 2018, 03:28:10 PM

I think that would be a huge loss in Baseball simply for the SOS factor.  UTT fields consistently good teams that help boost the SOS for a lot of teams, and it takes away for great trips like La Verne and Whitworth are taking this year.  They have also hosted a few regionals lately but after forgetting to tarp the field this past May I am not sure how happy the NCAA is with them.
Having UTT as a Regional venue allowed the NCAA to bus Rhodes and Millsaps to the West.

In 2017, the Tyler Regional had UTT, Concordia TX from the ASC, Rhodes from the SAA, Linfield from the NWC, Cal Lu from the SCIAC and Centenary from the SCAC.

IN 2015, the Tyler Regional had Millsaps from the SAA, Whitworth and Linfield from the NWC, UT-Tyler from the ASC, LaVerne from the SCIAC and Trinity from the SCAC.

Both regionals were very competitive!

Ralph Turner

Jack Parkman

TexasBB

The ASC is up for grabs with Concordia and Sul Ross State with 7-2 records but both with mediocre overall records of 14-7 and 13-9.  UTT is down this year with a loosing record in conference 4-5 and 12-8 overall.  No dominant teams thus leaves the conference wide open and will makes things real interesting.  Unfortunately, looks like only the conference champion will advance this year to the regionals. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: TexasBB on March 21, 2018, 01:54:31 PM
The ASC is up for grabs with Concordia and Sul Ross State with 7-2 records but both with mediocre overall records of 14-7 and 13-9.  UTT is down this year with a loosing record in conference 4-5 and 12-8 overall.  No dominant teams thus leaves the conference wide open and will makes things real interesting.  Unfortunately, looks like only the conference champion will advance this year to the regionals.
SRSU is suspect for me. They have built their record on a weaker schedule than CTX.

CTX has faced some good teams. They did okay against the west coast, but I would have liked to seen wins against Rhodes Schreiner and Concrdia-Chicago. They also do not seem capable of sweeping the series they need to sweep, e.g.,  UOz and McM.

TexasBB

Final 3 weeks of the regular season and 4 teams are battling for the regular season championship.  SRS has to be the favorite with a 13-4 conference mark and 2 series remaining against teams with loosing records. CTX and UTT must face each  other on April 20 -21 for a big 3 game series. UTD is coming off of winning 2 out of 3 from CTX this past weekend and looking good.  UTD is facing its remaining games against teams with loosing conference records.  SRS had the advantage of not having to play UTT or UTD this year.

The league is balanced. The only representative in the regionals this year will likely be the conference tournament champion. The regular season champion is the likely host.

Ron Boerger

Should be a good game in Austin Tuesday when Trinity visits CTX, and then, as announced last week, Sul Ross heads to San Antonio for a pair on Thu/Fri.   

Ralph Turner

First round of the conference tourney:

2 & BBQ:  SRSU and ETBU

Eliminated in Game #5:  HSU and Oazrks

Sunday's games:

UT-Tyler vs CTX (UTT must win 2)

LeTU vs UTDallas  (LeTU must win 2)

Ralph Turner

UT-Tyler 10, Oswego State (New York) 5.

This is the very first game to be won by an ASC team in the D-3 National Championship.

(In 2002, Concordia went 0-2).

TexasBB

Tyler banged out 16 hits including 2 home runs. Got a complete game out of their starter Sedillo saving their pen which they used heavily last weekend.

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 25, 2018, 01:28:57 PM
UT-Tyler 10, Oswego State (New York) 5.

This is the very first game to be won by an ASC team in the D-3 National Championship.

(In 2002, Concordia went 0-2).

+1

TexasBB

Ralph that stat surprised me. I recall McMurry having some good teams, I guess I thought they made it to the World Series but apparently not.

TexasBB

UTT wins again today 7-3 and is in the lower bracket finals. If they can win one of the next two they will play a best of 3 against the upper bracket winner for the national championship.  TLU won yesterday and is in the upper bracket. Thus it is possible that two Texas teams could face each other to determine the national champion.