Parents with children looking to play in D3

Started by K-Mack, November 09, 2005, 12:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank uible

On the other hand I bet you can find some fullbacks who are playing in the Big Ten and who do not run faster than 4.80/40 - but their coaches will probably admit that they wish the players were faster.

smedindy

Quote from: 'gro on August 09, 2007, 12:53:53 PM
anyone can change their major (or go back to school for a career change) but you're there to learn a specific course of study.

Well, I don't know how many times I've seen students come in with an idea that they will study X and graduate in four years studying Y and Z. Kids also get depressed sometimes when they try to become that doctor but their heart is actually in art history.

frank uible

What percentage of students commence college with the intention of becoming a practicing M.D. but end up doing something else in life? My uneducated guess is about 70%.

FootballFanatic

Quote from: smedindy on August 09, 2007, 03:21:19 PM
Quote from: 'gro on August 09, 2007, 12:53:53 PM
anyone can change their major (or go back to school for a career change) but you're there to learn a specific course of study.

Well, I don't know how many times I've seen students come in with an idea that they will study X and graduate in four years studying Y and Z. Kids also get depressed sometimes when they try to become that doctor but their heart is actually in art history.

No kidding..I rather be coaching football than Doctoring ???
FootballFanatic!!!!!

'gro

Hey, I'd rather be reconditioning a boat on the shores of Zihuatanejo, Mexico... but that don't pay gro's bills.

FootballFanatic

FootballFanatic!!!!!

'gro

my posts on this thread have been somewhat sarcastic, but my point is that college is expensive (especiallya majority of D3's) and when a person graduates they should have a skill set that will allow them to pay those bills that will start coming in 6 months.

It's a hard thing to tell an 18 year old to go out, have fun, learn something they enjoy doing, and prepare for the next phase of life... but for 30 grand a year they better be applying themselves to something more than "the experience".

That's why I went to a "trade school".

Mr. Ypsi

'gro,

What you say has a great deal of merit, but with the ever-changing job market (including the likelihood that some 'major' career fields in ten years don't even currently exist) and the incredible variety of individual career paths, knowing precisely what is or is not a viable 'skill set' may be less than perfectly predictable.

Don't forget that the richest man in the world is a college dropout! ;)

My older son, soon to be a college sophomore, often worries because he has no idea what he wants to major in.  I tell him to relax, try any course that strikes his fancy, and the 'muse' will strike when he's ready.  I switched majors first semester SENIOR year (still graduated in four) and (while never making much money as a college lecturer in sociology) have never regretted it (well, except for a long-repressed desire to be a canoeing guide). ;D

frank uible

Fifty years after graduation I'm still waiting for my muse to present itself.

cawcdad

Good advice Mr. Ypsi. I had a complete career change and went back to school a number of years after graduation. My brother has an MBA with his BS in engineering. You never know what lies in your future. Learn as much as you can, whenever you can and enjoy the ride.

smedindy

I just want my children to learn and study what ever they want, no matter what the cost. Life is all about experiences, and if they want to major in something esoteric then go to grad school that's fine by me.

Life is for living, not working.

Tex

First time poster here.  I'm in a similar situation with my son, but slightly ahead of some it appears.  He's a two star OL guy according to Scout.com, but as a 6'0" guard, it's been difficult.  He's getting the most love right now from the Ivy League and one or two CUSA schools.  Most of them are looking at his athleticism and projecting him for the D-line. 

But, every kid needs a fall back position.  So, we went off vising some local D-3 schools.  Here's the funny part.  One of those d-3 schools might have moved ahead of some of the D-1A and D-1AA schools he's been talking to!  My son scored a 30 on his ACT so he's probably going to get a decent chunk of merit scholarship money.  Still quite a financial burden, but less so than the Ivy League.  (And a lot closer to home.)

So, D-3 can actually be more attractive to some students than D-1 it appears.  I think the biggest selling points are the education first, but the committment from the coaches to academics first.  What do I mean... well, in these D-3 programs they talked to him about practice schedules and how much of a time committment football demands.  It is very muc on par with what he's doing now at his big time 5A high school program here in TX.  Compare that to the D-1 time committments football places on you and well, if you want any sort of life at all, D-1 is tough.  Plus in D-1, you might not see the field until you're a Jr or Sr.  In D-3, you have a legitmate shot at being a 3 year starter if you've got the tools and committment to the game. 

I guess when d-3 gets in front of prospective athletes, they do pretty well.  For the kid that needs to play in front of 30,000 people every Saturday, D-3 isn't for them.  But, for the kid that wants to be able to go home in the summers and work out on his own, or be able to have a girl friend and spend any decent amount of time with her, or wants to major in something difficult and wants to have his coaches support on his major, then D-3 is a great option.   Playing the game because  you love the game.  I'm not saying that D-1 and D-2 guys don't love the game.  YOu have to love it to succeed, but many of them are thinking NFL and such.  D-3 is all about the love the game and being a true student-athlete.

So, for our family, the recruiting pressure is now off.  If a great scholarship offer comes through, he'll have something to compare it to, maybe his "ace in the hole."  i'd encourage all you parents of potential recruits to show your sons all their options.  Show  the D-1A, D-1AA, D-2 and D-3.  You might be suprised at the outcome.  I know I am.  We'll see how it works out and I promise to come back and let you know what decisions are made between now and the first week of February. 
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." -- Dean Wormer

Ralph Turner

Tex, almost certainly your son is headed for grad school after college, so that is another 2-4 years of "tuition" and living expenses.

If your son were a 34-36 SAT, then I would be pushing the Ivy League schools.  Lake Highlands HS in Dallas sent a football player to Princeton every year for about 5-6 years when my kids were in high school.  Those type players are more uncommon.  If the Ivies, come then look at that seriously.

Take as much academic scholarship money as he can get to attend an acceptable school of his choosing.  At a D3, he will be a big fish in the pond.  The leadership opportunities and other chances for him to excel will abound.

Best wishes to your son and to you and your family!

K-Mack

Tex,
You sound to me like you've got a good understanding of what it's all about. There are major advantages to D3, just as there are advantages to the other levels. Most important is to find a place that fits your son's needs, and as you noted, you guys are right on track with that.

Not to mention that you're fortunate enough to have a son who's done well enough to where you have chosen to back off and let him make his decision, whatever it may be. Not everyone has that luxury, or takes advantage of it.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Tex

It kills me to see guys on his team that have unbelievable talent, but no grades.  If you can't qualify, you can't play.  It breaks my heart.  Unfortunately by the time they get to high school, it's often almost too late.  We've got to get to them earlier. 
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." -- Dean Wormer