The Top 10 West Region teams of the D3football.com Era

Started by wildcat11, July 11, 2007, 07:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

criswyly

The 1999 PLU team should be ranked near the top.  I saw that game and those boys were on fire.  I don't think many DIII teams would have beat them that day....Ask Pat Coleman.
Don't forget your booties cause it's cold out there!

Pat Coleman

Quote from: criswyly on December 22, 2014, 07:42:56 PM
The 1999 PLU team should be ranked near the top.  I saw that game and those boys were on fire.  I don't think many DIII teams would have beat them that day....Ask Pat Coleman.

Actually, beating Rowan in the Stagg Bowl wasn't a particularly unique event. :) They executed the crap out of an offense that Rowan was in no way prepared to defend. Rowan had played its championship game at Mount Union the week before.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 22, 2014, 11:16:28 PM
Quote from: criswyly on December 22, 2014, 07:42:56 PM

Actually, beating Rowan in the Stagg Bowl wasn't a particularly unique event. :) They executed the crap out of an offense that Rowan was in no way prepared to defend. Rowan had played its championship game at Mount Union the week before.

Be careful what you wish for  ;). I must admit, I was barely in college when this game was played, so I didn't know much about the team. But I assume there's a reason why they were a 7 seed, and not a top seed like most of the teams on Top 10 West teams list. They seemed to have gotten hot at the right time in 1999.

d-train

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on December 23, 2014, 06:54:25 AM
Be careful what you wish for  ;). I must admit, I was barely in college when this game was played, so I didn't know much about the team. But I assume there's a reason why they were a 7 seed, and not a top seed like most of the teams on Top 10 West teams list. They seemed to have gotten hot at the right time in 1999.

They dropped a regular season game to Willamette, just like this year's Linfield squad.

That '00 SJU team was a 7 seed as well after dropping a regular season game to Bethel.

Pat Coleman

They were a 7 seed because the whole concept of this playoff format was new and the committee lacked a bit of a clue.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

d-train

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 24, 2014, 10:35:02 AM
They were a 7 seed because the whole concept of this playoff format was new and the committee lacked a bit of a clue.

Also: No bid for UMAC; No Pool A for SCIAC; Conference runner-up to a team with a few losses of their own.

Pat Coleman

Well, in fairness, most of the UMAC wasn't even in Division III at the time. :)

criswyly

Pat Coleman..."I don't think many DIII teams would have beat them that day...."  Where on our list of top DIII teams would "you" place the 1999 Lutes.
Don't forget your booties cause it's cold out there!

D O.C.

Something tells me that's the kind of question he doesn't touch.

Ralph Turner

I am looking for an update of this at the end of the season.

Thanks.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 14, 2018, 01:21:38 AM
I am looking for an update of this at the end of the season.

Thanks.

I usually take the liberty of updating it after a West team wins it all. It would be hard for non-Stagg Bowl winning West team to crack the top 10, given UWW and St. John's Stagg Bowl success over the years.

However, I suppose a case could be made for the 2016 Oshkosh team to be in the 10th spot over 2000 St. John's. That's the only thing that might get updated if a West team doesn't at least get to the Stagg Bowl this year. That would be a good debate, on which team was better.

Both those teams lost in the Stagg Bowl 10-7 in their respected games.