BB: NEWMAC: New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 03:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bostonian

Not too much of a shock...WPI's #1, Fahey, is very, very good.

Paul Heering

i didn't know that.  Wheaton definitely didn't throw their number 1 but still looks good for WPI.  They play two against Babson this weekend, they win the pair and they are 5-1 in the league.  Could get interesting.

Bostonian

Interesting...both Gingras and Fahey are sophomores from Rhode Island. If you asked any Legion coaches in RI who would win that game based on pitching alone, every one would say WPI...

DIII Dad

I don't know if everyone would say WPI. I have seen both of them pitch and they are both pretty good. Wheaton never seemed to get comfortable at the plate today against Fahey and WPI had 4 or 5 little bloopers that fell in for them for base hits. Mix in some solid base hits and those bloopers will kill you. We'll have to wait for the rematch of the R.I. pitchers.

363dp

They are both excellent pitchers! Fahey NEWMAC rookie of the year last year and Gingas getting some starts this year, will certainly develop into a weekend pitcher on a deep staff. I think any D3 (plus many D2 &D1) teams welcome either of these boys on their pitching staffs.

DocGraham

WPI over Wheaton? surprise- yes, but shock- no, w/Fahey on mound - w/o Fahey on Friday it went 15-0 Wheaton w/McDonough 2-hitter - but anyone who has seen the WPI lineup knows that there are a number of tough outs - Fiore at leadoff is #1 in nation for toughest to strike out, Rainone is a very steady hitter, and both Brown & McNee had solid freshman years and are contributing again, also senior bomb threat Mahoney -  a group of 4 or 5 frosh recruits w/contact & speed round out a pretty good lineup that usually scores runs - pitching depth, defensive inexperience seem to be  issues - Callahan has done a good job recruiting at a school where u need the ballplayer/engineer type (ask MIT) - I noticed that WPI dropped back ends of d-headers in the 8th & 9th vs. Babson & MIT w/leads of 5-0 & 9-3! if they had hung on, guess who might have been NEWMAC season champs?

bball13

That's very true but you have to look at depth between Wheaton and WPI.  Pretty sure most people would say that department would go to Wheaton.  Not only are your starters important but when you get into later innings role players become crucial.  When you go into the 8th and 9th innings of games 5-0 and 9-3 somebody needs to come in and finish teams off.  IF WPI finishes those two games, yes NEWMAC champs they are, but baseball is an interesting game, never over until it's over.  It'll be interesting to see the NEWMAC tourney though, shoudl be some good games. 

DocGraham

good points bball13 - and exactly my point that WPI pitching depth may be problem i.e. not being able to finish off teams late - no way to say that WPI is anywhere near Wheaton as a program but don't think anyone would have thought that WPI would come that close, making your point again that baseball is a crazy game to figure and never over til it's over - WPI turns a corner, but can they sustain over time as Wheaton has? Wheaton also seems to do a lot of the little things well necessary to win - as far as tourney goes, we know the bye is huge to line up rotation and tough for teams to use ace in opening round w/o being able to bring back later in weekend, especially if rotation is not deep - but this tourney is always interesting because it's early & moves quickly

d3baseballer

Can someone explain to me how Wheaton's Laplante has recieved player of the year honors 2 years in a row??

2006- I thought you could've given it to WPI's Matt Fiore who batted .374, 55 hits, 36 runs, in only 36 games for a team that bid well in the 2006 playoffs. Or how about Laplante's teammate third baseman Scott Guillerault who had an All-American season batting .339, with 14 HR and 60 RBIs. But Laplante who batted a measly .319?

2007- How about Babson's Steve Tamoush who is batting .384 with 66 hits, 42 Runs and 24 RBIs. Or Clark's Joe Silva who batted .383 with 44 hits, 38 Runs and 28 RBIs. But, Laplante gets player of the year again, by currently batting a weak .310, with 45 hits, only 31 Runs and 23 RBIs. Not to mention defensively he has thrown out only 7 runners in 40 games...

Seeing several NEWMAC games this year, he has not handled the staff any better than Silva or Fiore have handled their own, from a defensive stand point.

The numbers don't lie. I think the NEWMAC coaches have got caught up in the politics of the dominant Wheaton organization.

Jim Dixon

The American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA) has named Norman and Terry Govoni Field, the home of Babson baseball, the top college division baseball field in America.  The award, also sponsored by Turface Products, the country's premier producer of field maintenance products, will be presented to Coach Matt Noone at the annual ABCA national convention, to be held in Philadelphia in January 2008. Joining Coach Noone in accepting the award will be the team most responsible for the supreme condition of the field, led by head groundskeeper Jimmy Lexander, co-worker Doug Pottle, and foreman Nick Butera.

soxfan42585

Lyons win fourth straight to complete Arizona trip, sweep 10th-ranked Johns Hopkins and Western New England

March 16, 2008

PHOENIX, AZ- The Wheaton College baseball team completed its Arizona trip on a four-game winning streak Sunday afternoon, as the 13th-ranked Lyons swept 10th-ranked Johns Hopkins University, 13-8 and regional foe Western New England College, 3-0.

Winners in six of its last eight games, Wheaton returns to New England with a 6-4 record, having played eight games against 2007 NCAA Tournament participants, including seven that are either nationally ranked or receiving votes in the Collegiate Baseball preseason poll. Johns Hopkins fell to 4-2 today, while Western New England remained winless through three games.

Junior righthander Adam Gingras (Woonsocket, RI/Woonsocket) got the Lyons off to a strong start in game one, retiring nine of his first 10 batters through the opening three innings. Wheaton's offense came alive in the third, as senior Scott Guillerault (South Portland, ME/South Portland) triggered a three-run frame with a two-run double.

Freshman Sean Munley's (Trenton, NJ/The Hun School of Princeton) two-run double highlighted the Blue and White's three-run fifth, pushing the Lyons to a 6-0 advantage. The Blue Jays got a run back in the sixth before evening the score in the seventh, but Wheaton showed its resiliency with seven runs over the next two frames to put the game out of reach.

Freshman Hadi Raad (Hastings-on-Hudson, NY/Hastings), who smacked a two-run triple to right center in the eighth, went 2-for-4 with two RBI, two runs and a stolen base. Senior Jake Yagjian (Brewster, MA/Nauset Regional) batted 2-for-5 with an RBI, a run and hit by pitch, as 11 different Lyons recorded at least one base knock. Wheaton also drew eight walks.

Gingras had a no-decision after allowing five runs on seven hits with four strikeouts and one walk in 6.2 innings. Freshman Chad Kasik (Dudley, MA/Shepherd Hill Regional) collected his first collegiate victory, giving up an unearned run and two hits in 0.1 frames, while junior Karl Olson (Bethel, ME/Gould Academy) was credited with his first save on two runs, four hits and one strikeout in the final two innings.

In the nightcap, junior southpaw Brian Hughes (Dudley, MA/Shepherd Hill Regional) and sophomore Nick Kostaras (North Attleboro, MA/North Attleboro) combined for an eight-hit shutout, as Hughes' impressive outing consisted of seven strikeouts and no walks in seven innings. Winning for the second time this week, Hughes surrendered just five hits while facing six batters over the minimum, setting down 13 of his 14 batters into the fifth. Kostaras fanned three batters with three hits allowed over two frames to corral his first career save.

All three of Wheaton's runs and half of its six hits came during the first three innings, as Guillerault's run-scoring single in the first proved to be the game-winner. Yagjian scored on a wild pitch to make the game 2-0, while Guillerault's RBI in the third extended the Lyon lead.

Junior Nick Pecora (Highland Park, NJ/Immaculata) was Wheaton's lone multiple hitter, going 2-for-4 with a run scored, triple and sacrifice hit. Guillerault had a pair of RBI with a hit by pitch, while freshman Eric Laliberte (Nashua, NH/Bishop Guertin) was hit by a pitch twice, scored a run, drew a walk and stole a base.

Wheaton's opening game up north is at Rhode Island College on Thursday at 3:30 p.m.

It looks like the Lyons are off to a solid start.  They really put some tough teams on their schedule.  I would expect them to take this conference again.  Interesting to note is the last line of the press release.  Playing on Thursday!?  Awesome!!

ECSUalum

Quote from: Jim Dixon on January 02, 2008, 06:45:39 PM
The American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA) has named Norman and Terry Govoni Field, the home of Babson baseball, the top college division baseball field in America.  The award, also sponsored by Turface Products, the country's premier producer of field maintenance products, will be presented to Coach Matt Noone at the annual ABCA national convention, to be held in Philadelphia in January 2008. Joining Coach Noone in accepting the award will be the team most responsible for the supreme condition of the field, led by head groundskeeper Jimmy Lexander, co-worker Doug Pottle, and foreman Nick Butera.

Jim,  Just to clarify.  The award is for the best maintained baseball field, ( to me means the field maintenance specifically vs best overall baseball facility)?  I believe there is a subtle difference.  see below

http://www.profileproducts.com/sports_fields/document.cfm?document=266:

ABCA/Turface Maintenance Award:
Awarded to coaches that have outstanding maintenance programs in both infield and turf care. Winners will receive 1 ton of Turface MVP and $400 to be spent on maintenance equipment, and a plaque recognizing their excellence in field maintenance.

C2islegit

ECSU,

The award recognizes the quality of the field, and obviously if the field is nice, it must have been well maintained. That is why it is noted as the best maintained field. This is the only award given each year to recognize the NICEST field, so I'm not sure what your're trying to clarify. It doesn't have anything to do with seating or facilities, so if that's what you mean then I understand you're point. Babson does not have a row of box seats behind home plate like ECSU, nor does it have stadium style seating. The award is recognizing the playing surface only. Clemson University's field won the award 2 years ago. Legitimate award.

ECSUalum

Quote from: C2islegit on April 22, 2008, 12:38:03 PM
ECSU,

The award recognizes the quality of the field, and obviously if the field is nice, it must have been well maintained. That is why it is noted as the best maintained field. This is the only award given each year to recognize the NICEST field, so I'm not sure what your're trying to clarify. It doesn't have anything to do with seating or facilities, so if that's what you mean then I understand you're point. Babson does not have a row of box seats behind home plate like ECSU, nor does it have stadium style seating. The award is recognizing the playing surface only. Clemson University's field won the award 2 years ago. Legitimate award.

You understand my point and that is what I wanted to clarify.

nebaseball44

newmac tourney starts today

(1) Babson vs. (6) Clark
(2) Wheaton vs. (5) WPI
(3) MIT vs (4) Springfield

should be some good ones