BB: General New England Discussion

Started by Paul Heering, February 14, 2007, 06:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Heering

it is cold here in jersey but very windy, doesn't wind help dry out the ground?  i know when i watch golf i have heard an announcer say, "Very windy last few days which has really dried out the greens and made them fast"

but maybe when it is 28 degrees that theory doesn't count

Jim Dixon

I scoff at your below zero.  We have had only one high above zero in nearly 3 weeks. 

wordsmith

Quote from: don mattingly on March 06, 2007, 11:15:18 AM
it is cold here in jersey but very windy, doesn't wind help dry out the ground?  i know when i watch golf i have heard an announcer say, "Very windy last few days which has really dried out the greens and made them fast"

but maybe when it is 28 degrees that theory doesn't count

Most of Northern New England has 10-15" of snow on the ground. So, aaahhh, wind ain't a big help this time of year except to lower the wind chill; which was -29F this am.
Word

wordsmith

Quote from: Jim Dixon on March 06, 2007, 12:02:48 PM
I scoff at your below zero.  We have had only one high above zero in nearly 3 weeks. 
Scoff as I don't believe it or scoff as in you are a real tuff guy because you live in a state that regularly posts Brass Monkey Warnings every night and nobody gives it a second thought?

Hahahaha

Word
Word

Jim Dixon

Quote from: wordsmith on March 06, 2007, 12:26:43 PM
Quote from: Jim Dixon on March 06, 2007, 12:02:48 PM
Scoff as I don't believe it or scoff as in you are a real tuff guy because you live in a state that regularly posts Brass Monkey Warnings every night and nobody gives it a second thought?

Hahahaha

Word

Scoff  - as I live in a state (Alaska) that posts those brass monkey warnings.  High School baseball starts in 2 months, our summer league in 3.

JeffRookie2

Which teams are considered the best in the NE? I know the general pecking order in the NESCAC, but how does that conference compare with everyone else?

wordsmith

Quote from: JeffRookie2 on March 13, 2007, 02:25:08 AM
Which teams are considered the best in the NE? I know the general pecking order in the NESCAC, but how does that conference compare with everyone else?

Power teams in the NE have been EConn and Southern Maine with a combined 6 or 7 national titles and 2 legendary coaches. Several other teams have had their moments in the sun, Amherst, Williams, Salisbury State, Bridgewater State and more recently Trinity and Wheaton. Some programs possibly on the verge are St. Joe's, Keene State,  I know I missed some schools but those are the power programs as I see them.
Word

Paul Heering

a general theme for new england favorites so far has been slow starts and finishing stronger on their trip

Wheaton started 1-4 then won four straight including two of TCNJ

Eastern started out started out 1-4 and has won two straight (two left to play)

WNEC started out 2-4 with bowdoin (NCAA tournament), Otterbien, and Wisconson--Steven's Point (#1 & #5 respectively in pre-season poll) left on the schedule.  finishes on a 3 game winning streak go end up 5-4.

Southern maine just started their trip and is 2-0 completely screwing up my theory.

but still three of the top 4 rated teams in the region start out a combined 4-12 to start the season is interesting (well to me)

candyman

Middlebury beat southern maine today 14-7 in a rematch of last year's ncaa regional. a big win for midd and a bad loss for s. maine. midd is good, should be a contender to repeat as nescac champs, but s. maine could have been a contender for #1 in new england after a strong florida showing.

Jcon2134

There has been alot of discussion that the NESCAC is a better conference or even with the little east I am here to let you all know that is not true sure the NESCAC is a good conference but it is no were near as good as the Little East sure they have some quality wins of the LEC this year but it is not close in my option. So I would like other peoples input on this but I really dont think that it is even close.

Bostonian

It is very close. The top teams in the NESCAC like Trinity, Tufts, Williams, and Middlebury would be very competetive in the LEC. Tufts beat ECSU last year. Mid just beat S. Maine. I believe Amherst beat Keene St. last year. Two years ago, Trinity was in the NCAA World Series. The leagues are comparable. I think this year, the LEC is stronger though but not by that much. Both leagues are also veyr top heavy. The low end teams are very weak.

Paul Heering

What are people's thoughts on the regional ranking that just came out

New England
1. Wheaton (6-5)
2. Southern Maine (4-0)
3. Western New England (5-4)
4. Trinity (11-1)
5. Williams (4-3)
6. Eastern Connecticut State (4-5)
7. Suffolk (7-3)
8. Babson (5-1)

Bostonian

That sounds about right...it's tough to tell because of the schedules that teams play are so different. I am guessing that teams like Tufts, Middlebury, UMass-Boston, Keene St. , and St. Joe's will be heard from, too.

Paul Heering

Speaking of the schedules they played, Below is a little more info.  list seems pretty good, it is early and hard to tell, i think with almost every team there you could make an arguement for them to be higher OR for them to be lower.

i know i can't spell, please don't bug me about the teams names i spelled incorrectly, because i am sure i butchered some of them but you know who i am talking about.  thanks

New England
1. Wheaton (6-5)
Wins—John Hopkins, Denison, Umass Boston, TCNJ x2, Coast Guard
Losses—Montclair State, William Patterson, Alvernia, Rutgers Camden, Coast Guard

2. Southern Maine (4-0)
Wins—Albright x2, Gustavus Adolfus, Williams
Loss—Middlebury (not reflected in record above)

3. Western New England (5-4)
Wins—Becker, Hope, Bowdoin, Otterbien, Wisconsin Steven's Point
Losses—Becker, Cortland, Frostburg, Hope

4. Trinity (11-1)
Wins—Worcester State x2, Babson, North Central, St. Lawrence, Plymouth State x2, Fredonia State x2, Hamilton x2
Loss--Babson

5. Williams (4-3)
Wins—Umass Boston, Eastern Connecticut, Hamline x2
Losses—Southern Maine, Umass Boston, Augsberg

6. Eastern Connecticut State (4-5)
Wins—Whittier, Chicago, Calvin, Buena Vista
Losses—Redlands, LaVerne, Claremont Mudd Scribbs, Wisconsin Whitewater, Williams

7. Suffolk (7-3)
Wins—Coe, Fitchburg State, Benedictine, Becker, Knox, New Jersey City, Albion
Losses—Scranton, Knox, Wisconsin Steven's Point

8. Babson (5-1)
Wins—Eastern Nazerene, Trinity, Knox, Finlandia, Amherst
Losses—Trinity

Bostonian

I saw Wheaton beat Brandeis yesterday, 2-1...Wheaton is the same, solid team they were last year...they don't mash, but everybody puts the ball in play, they execute small ball very well, play solid defense, and, obviously, get great pitching from the entire staff...if you beat the, you really have to earn it.