BB: CCC: The Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by wordsmith, March 22, 2009, 07:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wordsmith

Hey Word here,

Now that I have a connection to TCCC I'd like to see if there are others out there that want to discuss 3-C baseball.

I attended the Salve vs WNEC games today. Golden Bears lost a tough one to Salve in the first game but held on to take the second game. I could only stay through the 5th inning of the second game but I will say this about the two teams.

Salve is a gritty team, they play hard and are sound. They surprised me.

WNEC has some very good young players. Second game pitcher Mark DiTommaso, a freshman, is a kid to watch.  I like Tommy Bouvier as a hitter, smart and goes with the pitch; centerfielder Chris Newell  is a gamer, I don't think he is totally healthy but again he competes. Several other nice players round out the squad.

Overall, from what I see WNEC has the talent and is good enough to compete in the LEC. Can't wait for April 22. Pizza and grinders are on Word.

7 inning  in conference games certainly make coaches game plan differently. Still trying to get used to that difference.

All in all, I think WNEC and Roger Williams will fight it out for the TCCC, oops, my daughter reminds me it is TCCC as the T stands for The! :P Below is the preseason coaches poll. I think Salve may be better than previously touted.

2009 TCCC PRESEASON BASEBALL POLL

Western New England 136 (7)
Roger Williams 135 (4)
Curry 117
Wentworth 110 (1)
Endicott 91
Salve Regina 91
Colby-Sawyer 69
Gordon 57
Anna Maria 49
Nichols 40
Eastern Nazarene 26
New England College 15

Good luck to all the TCCC teams, come-on and comment TCCC fans I know you are out there.

Word 8)

Word

rbgosfan

Glad to see a TCCC board finally up here. I think Word is correct with the top two, keep an eye on Curry as well. WNEC started slow in Arizona but were pounding the ball by the end of the trip. The young pitching and defense need to catch up and they will be tough to beat.

NEDIII

Roger Williams has really turned their program around. They have gotten better and better each year and are now a respected team in region. My prediction : Roger Williams takes down the Cup Cake Conference.

wordsmith

Roger Williams, read Coach Derek Carlson, has done a very nice job with the program since coming over from the Wheaties of Wheaton.

In the past I'd say RW had some very nice players i.e. Lippincott, Malcolm, Cooney, Thompson, but lacked total squad depth. Recently, and much to the credit of Carlson, they have added depth and a higher degree of toughness which translates into "win-ability".  (Is that a word Word?)

RW's program, IMO, is where Keene State College was about 2-3 years ago. The advantage and disadvantage they have is their conference is not as competitive top to bottom as the LEC. WCONN or UMD on a bad day is still better than NECollege on a good day. (Sorry) :-\

Word 8)
Word

KSCfan

The Cup Cake Conference is hilarious!  I think that WNEC and Roger WIlliams are the two best teams in that conference.  Roger WIlliams took 2 from KSC, and lost two to Southern Maine.  I think that RW will be in the NE region when the year is over as the representative of TCCC

NEBaseballFan

What I don't get is the recognition Curry College is NOT getting..When their hitting is extremely strong 1-9 . Team average is .394 with a total of 17 homeruns. Opponents ERA. 12.04. When you think of the teams they played, they beat up on a top 25 team, Thiel 17-5 , and then Bowdoin 13-4 , 21-8. If it wasn't for injuries. The same would of happened last year. It's a team to watch.

NEDIII

The reason they don't get any recognition is because half, yes half, of those wins have come against Gordon, Anna Maria and Eastern Nazarene. I realize that they are in the CCC and have to play them, but these are NOT strong teams. The only quality win they have is against Thiel. Bowdoin is a .500 team and shouldn't be highlighted if you claim they are as good as you say they are.  A win against a team outside the CCC doesn't make it a quality win. Sorry, they still have a lot to prove and I think a lot of people would agree with me.

rbgosfan

Curry will get its chance to show what it is made of this weekend with 2 at WNEC on Saturday and then 2 at home on Sunday against Salve. With the full week off Curry should have its top 2 pitchers ready for WNEC while WNEC may be lower in the rotation due to the postponement on Monday being moved to Wednesday and also a tough game Thursday against RPI.

wordsmith

Curry v WNEC - wish I could be there today. For what its worth, my picks:

Sat, Mar. 28, 2009 Baseball
Wentworth Endicott  - SPLIT

Colby-Sawyer Roger Williams  RW SWEEP

New England College Salve Regina  - REGINA SWEEP

Curry Western New England  - SPLIT

Nichols Eastern Nazarene  - SPLIT

Gordon Anna Maria  - ANNA  SWEEPS

Word
Word

wordsmith

Word

rbgosfan

Word get the split prediction correct as Curry comes back to win the second game 6-3 in 8 innings.

wordsmith

Quote from: wordsmith on March 28, 2009, 08:07:39 AM
Curry v WNEC - wish I could be there today. For what its worth, my picks:

Sat, Mar. 28, 2009 Baseball
Wentworth Endicott  - SPLIT

Colby-Sawyer Roger Williams  RW SWEEP

New England College Salve Regina  - REGINA SWEEP

Curry Western New England  - SPLIT

Nichols Eastern Nazarene  - SPLIT

Gordon Anna Maria  - ANNA  SWEEPS

Word

Sat Results from the TCCC:

Wentworth Endicott - SPLIT

ColbySawyer - Roger Williams - SPLIT   :o

New England College- Salve Regina - Regina SWEEPS

Curry Western New England - SPLIT

Nichols Eastern Nazarene - SPLIT

Gordon Anna Maria - ANNA SWEEPS

Only surprise was RW losing a game to the BlyMen of Colby Sawyer.

Word  8)
Word

LEC Fan

Word, is Blyguy still coaching up there???

wordsmith

Quote from: LEC Fan on March 29, 2009, 11:37:56 AM
Word, is Blyguy still coaching up there???

Yup, Barney BlyMan lives and breathes up there :D

Word 8)
Word

wordsmith

Since no one else is posting on this site I thought I'd ramble for a while.....remember all in fun boys ::)

About half-way through the TCCC season. Any surprises here?
2009 TCCC Baseball Standings
School
1. Curry                                  11-1             17-3
2. Wentworth                         7-2-1           17-6-1
3. Roger Williams                    5-2-1           10-8-1
4. Western New England        9-5              15-9
5. Eastern Nazarene               4-4              12-8
Salve Regina                          4-4               8-15
7. Anna Maria                          6-8              10-16-1
8. Nichols                                4-6              9-11
Colby-Sawyer                        4-6               8-13
10. Endicott                            2-6               7-13
11. New England College       2-8               5-11
12. Gordon                             1-7               2-13

Just some other thoughts on a rainy day.........

Has there ever been any thought to having two divisions in the TCCC? The logistics of playing 22 in-conference games seems cumbersome. And the methods to break into divisions are endless....Let's skip the obvious ways like North/South or East/West.

You could divide the conference into teams with one name i.e. Endicott, Gordon, and teams with two names Salve Regina Colby-Sawyer. The two teams with three name Western New England and New England College could rotate between the one and two name conferences on a yearly basis.
Another way - divide the teams is by their mascots...ahhh one of my favorite topics. Those of you familiar with RIC-EE the Rhode Island College mascot - a 2nd generation Village People member, will know my fondness by previous posts on the LEC board. Speaking of mascots let's have us a look.....

UNE- So we can take the Nor'easters - who names these teams, is their a committee to come-up with mascot names at UNE? "Let's take a vote....OK it is unanimous we are now officially the Nor'easters, since it brings such warm and wonderful thoughts...Nor'easter drops 2 feet of snow, 7 die in powerful Nor'easter, power out to thousands......But the baseball team won oops we don't have a baseball team....

Anna Maria - AMCATS (what exactly is an AMCAT, is it related to a BOBCAT, or is this a lesson from a freshman English class at the college? --  ICCAT, IBCAT, IAMCAT

Custer College - Who??? --have a look at the Curry College's mascot - I anoint them Custer College; or better yet KFC College - The Colonel's Very Own Special College - I'll have to see how that works.

Eastern Nazarene - the Crusaders - now there is a multi-cultural word for ya! Let's go back to the 12th and 13th centuries for our name... sorry ENC this is all in fun... I really do know that crusade is a Latin term for Cross - by the way - Happy Easter

Endicott - Gulls - How clever, we have a campus on the ocean, these damned-able friggin' birds are always swooping and crapping, crapping and swooping...let's make something positive out of this and call ourselves the Damned-able Birds. I like the Endicott Chubb Peabody's myself (there is another history lesson if you care to Google).

Gordon Fightin Scots- Another great name for a Christian school. The only fighting Scots I have ever encountered were in bars, in San Francisco bathhouses, or when money fell on the floor.

New England College Pilgrims- Yep, makes sense. I do remember from my history lessons the Pilgrim dudes landing at the head waters of the Contoocook River, stepping foot on Henniker Rock, cracked open a cold one and dined with the Native Americans on Pat's Peak for Thanksgiving Dinner.

Nichols College Bison – yep, that's right....the Pilgrims, on their way to landing at Henniker Rock, dropped off a big ol' load of Bison in Dudley. The bison used to roam in huge herds on the Mass Pike before they put in the higher tolls.

Roger Williams – Hawks- Now here is smart name for the SID see they can use headlines like Hawks devour Custer; Hawks claw AMCATS,  birds with sharp claws seem to be popular... although it has nothing to do with Roger Williams (see Endicott).

Salve Regina Seahawks - ....OK on the ocean, bunches of damn birds.... Damned-able Birds and Hawks are taken, so let's go with ....real creative. I think a much better name is the Salve Regina Queens- all ya'll Latin Majors on the campus know what I am saying???

Wentworth Leopards –I like the Wentworth Leotards better

Western New England Golden Bears – Now the only sporting Golden Bear worthy of the name is Columbus' own Jack Nicklaus, so that name is out... I have to work on a name for WNEC

Colby-Sawyer - The Chargers, hey isn't that name already taken? Eye think Colby-Cheese-heads is a much better fit

Look forward to any suggestions from the peanut gallery.

Word 8)

Word