BB: CCC: The Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by wordsmith, March 22, 2009, 07:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stump

Word,
Last year was top 8 double elimination with all games at the higher seed. I would guess it's probably the same this year

wordsmith

Quote from: Stump on April 13, 2009, 01:46:11 PM
Word,
Last year was top 8 double elimination with all games at the higher seed. I would guess it's probably the same this year

Thanks Stump. That helps. Any idea of where the finals are held or does that depend upon who is left standing after the opening round of games?

Word ??? ???
Word

Stump

I found the conference press release from last year and it said that the highest seed would host all games.

http://www.thecommonwealthcoastconference.com/sports/releases0708/bbpairings08.pdf

rbgosfan

Last year it was almost a double elimination. It was top 8 teams with highest seed always hosting, however the final game was the winner of the winner's bracket (with 0 losses) against the survivor of the losers bracket (1 loss) in a winner take all game. You do not know where you will be playing until all results of each day are know. WNEC hosted Wentworth last year for the championship but did not know they would be home until Wentworth won the losers bracket and had a lower seed than WNEC. I found it strange that had Wentworth won the game, they would have been the champions even though each team would have had 1 loss but that is how the tournament was set up. I haven't seen anything about this years tournament yet.

Stump

I just looked up the bracket from last year. That is an different setup. First look it looks like a double elim. but it's not. That would stink to be the unbeaten team and lose the tourney bid with just one loss. True double elim wouldn't take any longer. Now I see the difference. Playing at the higher seed you have to play it that way on Sat (4 possible games would need a common game site)

363dp

Good match up tomorrow as CCC powerhouse Curry 23-3 host NEWMAC leader Wheaton 24-3.  What are your thought on this mid April game?

wordsmith

Wheaton wins in a walk-over.

Curry has not played a real tough schedule, Wheaton is tough and plays tough. Curry had 2 games tonight, winning both against the Pilgrims.

Wheaton 12-3 over Curry :o

Endicott beat Roger Williams twice today... standings are a jumbled mess.

:-\ :-\Sad day in new England baseball Mark the Bird Fidrych died today in Northborough. His dump truck fell on him.  :P

Word
Word

wordsmith

Latest Poll has USM and EastConn staying in the Top 10. Wheaties rise to 3rd, Trinity into 7th, Curry checks in at 20 and WNEC gets a vote. Pretty good representation for New England and for TCCC. ;D

Gut check time for Curry against the Lyons.  ::)

School (1st votes) Rec. Pts Prev.
1 Millsaps (10) 30-4 597 3
2 Salisbury (10) 29-4 588 2
3 Wheaton (Mass.) (4) 23-3 563 4
4 Texas-Tyler 31-6 521 5
5 Southern Maine 18-3 501 8
6 St. Scholastica (1) 21-2 495 9
7 Trinity (Conn.) 18-3 483 7
8 Pomona-Pitzer 28-3 458 10
9 Heidelberg 23-5 443 11
10 Eastern Connecticut 19-5 418 1
11 Wooster 25-7 324 6
12 Kean 22-7 299 12
13 St. Thomas 18-5 292 16
14 Buena Vista 21-4 251 17
15 Cal Lutheran 24-7 237 14
16 Linfield 25-7 197 13
17 Shenandoah 28-6 163 20
18 Marietta 17-7 140 19
19 Keystone 24-4 121 --
20 Curry 21-3 117 --
21 George Fox 24-7 114 --
22 Carthage 17-5 100 --
23 RPI 21-5 89 --
24 UW-Whitewater 14-7 85 22
25 Augustana 221-7 72 23

Dropped Out: Beloit, Chapman, Christopher Newport, Cortland State, Rochester
Others receiving votes: Chapman 65, Suffolk 62, Christopher Newport 38, UW-Oshkosh 31, Penn State-Behrend 30, Beloit 29, Birmingham-Southern 27, Mount St. Mary 25, Thomas More 23, Ithaca 23, St. Olaf 22, York (Pa.) 18, Methodist 18, Cortland State 12, Rochester 10, Wilkes 10, Illinois Wesleyan 6, Pacific Lutheran 6, Western New England 1, Rhodes 1

Word

wordsmith

And DOWN goes Wheaton  :o
Curry 5-0 over the BoC

TCCC strikes again. 363dp did you see the game? ???

Or were you running into traffic on 140? :P

WNEC sweeps the Crusaders  ;D ;D

Standings beginning to come into focus.... :o

Word 8)
Word

NEBaseballFan

Quote from: NEDIII on March 24, 2009, 01:54:49 PM
The reason they don't get any recognition is because half, yes half, of those wins have come against Gordon, Anna Maria and Eastern Nazarene. I realize that they are in the CCC and have to play them, but these are NOT strong teams. The only quality win they have is against Thiel. Bowdoin is a .500 team and shouldn't be highlighted if you claim they are as good as you say they are.  A win against a team outside the CCC doesn't make it a quality win. Sorry, they still have a lot to prove and I think a lot of people would agree with me.

Does anyone listen? I told you so. This team is the real deal. first in the country in hitting, and just shut out the #3 team in the country in 9 inn.

363dp

Word, did not see the game. Was stuck up in Maine with no live stats or audio. Looks like it was a closer game than the 5-0 final score. A very nice victory for Curry , who is on a very nice run. Tough loss for Wheaton, Olson has been very good this year in the set up role this year , had a tough outing.  When is the last time Wheaton got shut out?

rbgosfan

The last time Wheaton was shut out was late in 2007 regular season by Eric Smolin of WNEC which was also the last time WNEC has been able to beat Wheaton. Wheaton took the second game that day, 2 last year and 2 this year from WNEC. That is an impressive win for Curry, I was not sold on them due to weak opposition thus far but this win definitely changes things.

wordsmith

Word

rbgosfan

WNEC scores 10 in the first today and coasts to a 15-2 win over MCLA. Next up is a big TCCC doubleheader on Saturday at Roger Williams.

wordsmith

Finally back from the Flatlands of WNEC. Compared to NuHampsa it was like summer. In fact dang if I didn't get sunburned.

Got to meet rbgosfan - good meeting you and nice to have the chance to talk.

WNEC takes a double dip from Colby Cheese. 11-0 and 10-1 Sat with some CheeseHeads. Nice folks, one ends up being my neighbor.

Saw some things today I have never seen in college ball. A fan got tossed for yelling at.... his own kid on the field. Told him to "grow-up". Guy had been yelling at the umps, but that was fairly mild....then it all went kind of bizzaro and the WNEC staff put a stop to it. The other thing was WNEC scored 5 runs on Sac Flys. I don't ever recall seeing that many Sac Flys in 2 games, sure 2 or even 3, but 5??? Great fundamental baseball today by
Da Bears.

Calzone pitched a gem in the first game, lived on the outside pitched to the umps zone. Rodgers was effective in game two.

Big game in WordLand on Wednesday when Da Bears come to the Swamp to face the hardhittin' Swamp Things.  :D

Word 8)
Word