MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FC News

hopefan

FCNEWS - all conference now posted on SLIAC site...  just got posted late today, wasn't there this afternoon.  Djedovich is MOP
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Daryl L Lloyd

Well there you go FC, its posted. No real suprises to me, with the exception of Luka taking the POY honors, I thought Martin would get that. He was dominating in almost every aspect of the games that I saw him play, and Luka, while an outstanding player, doesnt stick out as dominating as Martin.  

Props to Scott, Kani, and my boy Ace Kotte for making the all conference team, sorry the seasons over fellas, would have love to see you guys put it on Hanover, well atleast theres still an early start at spring break.

FC News

Daryl - Send my Congrats to Mr. Watterkotte. It is a well deserved honor. I thought FU's Davis would fair better in selections. I guess playing on a 6th place team hurt any chances as Newcomer. But, conference scoring title is something to build on for next year. I'm not in total agreement with POY either. But then again who else would you have selected. Post season games aren't suppose to count.

watchdog

SLIAC Men's All-Tournament

Cory Waters, Blackburn, MVP
John Essington, Blackburn
Scott Spinner, Webster
Kaniela Aiona, Webster
Marcus Henderson, Maryville
Chris Watts, Principia

SLIAC Men's All-Conference

First Team:
Luka Djedovic, Blackburn
Brandon Martin, Greenville
Sam Gilman, Principia
Scott Spinner, Webster
Matt Regan, Maryville

Second Team:
Kaniela Aiona, Webster
John Essington, Blackburn
Tucker Fendon, Principia
Antonio Holland, Fontbonne
Cory Waters, Blackburn

Honorable Mention:
John Tegtmeyer, Principia
Kennard Davis, Fontbonne
Steve Waterkotte, Webster
Marcus Henderson, Maryville
Rockie Robinson, MacMurray

Player of the Year: Luka Djedovic, Blackburn
Newcomer of the Year: John Essington, Blackburn
Coach of the Year: Chris Bunch, Webster

laptop

I was a bit surprised that Westminster College didn't have at least an honorable mention player.  What is the process and who selects the SLIAC All-Conference Team?

FC News

Coaches nominate their own players for each team and the conference coaches score them on a 1-10 scale. After, 1st team has been selected the process repeats. It could be possible that a coach only nominate one of his players to HM. At which time players from previous teams, not selected, are filtered down. I have know inside knowledge as to WC's situation, but I've seen it happen before.

hopefan

I view WC as a young team who showed great potential at the end of the season.... no question they will be in the mix next year.  The two kids from Lafayette both played very well against Maryville when I saw them.

laptop

Thanks FCNews for the explanation of the process for SLIAC All-Conference selection.  I can see how a team could end up without a selection.

Daryl L Lloyd

Well, appears that the SLIAC continued its post season misery for yet another year.  While I wish I could say I thought the beavers would sneak one out, I cannot.  The beavers rely to heavily on the outside shooting of thier streak shooters, and looking at the box score it appears waters had a terrible night against the panthers.  Luka appeared to have been a non-factor as well. Well its a long wait til next year, cant wait for regular season baseball games to start.

luvhoops

I wish they could have done it but they just weren't big enough to play the inside game and the shooting streak they were on last Saturday didn't repeat itself.

hopefan

Well just so our site doesn't get too stale, I decided to take a look at what each team has coming back, or conversely, what they lost.  This is done primarily from a statistical point of view, as I am reasonably familiar only with Maryville, and didn't even see two or three of the teams this past season.
The assumption I worked with is simple.. if the team roster listed a player as a senior, I assume they are gone, otherwise, I assume they are coming back.

Maryville loses 2 starters, 3rd guard Marcus Henderson and point guard Andrew Hulbert.  Henderson is the team's best 3 point shooter, he'll be missed.  Tim Elwell, a starter two years ago will likely take back the starting point spot.  Also gone will be backup big man Matt Damrell.  Of course the big question is whether Steve Bash can recover from his knee surgery -the conference MVP 2 years ago, he sat this year and was sorely missed - who knows if he'll be able to return to form. 1st team all conference Matt Regan and bench spark Ben Hebl also return along with forwards Jason Rezabeck and Ryan (drives me nuts) Klein.

Pricipia loses 4 starters, first team all conf Sam Gilman, 2nd team all conf Tucker Fendon, and all conf HM John Tegtmeyer, along with James Aimonetti.  That's over 75% of the team's scoring and rebounding  -  if ever a team was looking at rebuilding, it's this one.

Greenville loses first team all conf Brandon Martin and starter Jason Sikma, along with valuable bench players Rod Tucker and Oscar Montecinos - almost half their scoring.  Martin and Sikma were also the two leading rebounders. Leading perimeter shooters Scott Foster and Stuart Spencer return.

Macmurray of press, run, and gun fame returns everyone.  While they were very effective against Maryville, some of the conference teams handled the pressure with ease... so who knows what's in store for next year.  Rockie Robinson is the most impressive of the returnees, but it's hard to get a read on individuals when the "system" is used.

Blackburn was impressive every time I saw them this year, and they lose only 1 senior, Corey Waters, a 2nd team all conference player.  That returns 1st team all conference Luca Djedovic and 2nd teamer John Essington, along with starters Nick Barnett and Todd Stevens.  This team has a great homecourt advantage, plays hard to overcome a lack of size, and seems to be well coached.  They would have to be my pick as preseason favorites if everyone comes back.

Continued on next post

hopefan

Continued from previous post

Fontbonne loses only benchmen Blake Cundiff and Mike Kaemmer.  Returning are High scoring Antonio Holland and Kennard Davis, along with starters Dave Carreno and Andrew Almany.  The returning stats are impressive... this group, if it finds a cohesiveness that seemed to be missing this past season, could challenge for the top. Are there enough shots to keep everyone happy?

Webster loses 3 all conference players from their championship team, Kaniela Aiona, Marshall Newman and Steve Waterkotte... but the returners are impressive with Spinner, Basilio, and Hoggatt.  These guys know how to win, and will have a real dogfight with Blackburn for top gun next year.

Westminster loses four seniors including leading rebounder Matt Leach and 3 point ace Adam Froidl (man did he kill Maryville) along with Brett Krautman and James Pitts.  Though they had a tough season this year, it seems alot of guys got valuable playing time and that they came on strong at the end of the season.

So.. a general venture  from the above..
top 3   Blackburn, Webster, Maryville (especially if Bash recovers)
Middle 3    Fontbonne, Mac, Greenville
Bottom 2 Westminster, Prin

If Bash doesn't recover, there could be a dramatic drop for Maryville - Regan can't do it alone.
of course other factors involve recruiting, transfers (in and out)

FC News

Hopefan- Word has it that MU's Bash is still having troubles with the knee. So many kids that find themseleves in his situation are never the same. Let's hope for his sake this doesn't hold true.

Fontbonne does not take losing well. Things will be different next season. The wheels have already started turning and from what I've seen so far it will be a fun season. I hope everybody enjoyed it while it lasted.

hopefan

Maryville's schedule for next year is already out; Congrats to coach Rogers for generating another challenging non-conference schedule.  The BIG news is that the Saints open the season with an Exhibition against St Louis U at the Savis Center.  Other non conference tourneys are here in St. Louis vs Hanover and Transy, a tourney at DePauw, and 2 games in Bermuda prior to Christmas, plus games vs future SLIAC member Lincoln Christian, NAIA McKendree and Mo Baptist, and local rival Wash U.  Great preparation for what appears to be a very competitive SLIAC season.