FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny Utah

Chester A. Arthur was a hell of an H back.

Caz Bombers

Quote from: Jonny Utah on June 05, 2019, 05:58:08 PM

and he was ready to hop off the bench into the game when the first stringer went down.

Bartman

Quote from: Caz Bombers on June 05, 2019, 07:52:34 PM

and he was ready to hop off the bench into the game when the first stringer went down.
Nice candidate Johnny U, wow, I knew Union College was ahead of its time, but I didn't realize that Chester and his classmates were 20 years earlier than the 1869 Princeton- Rutgers game, and Caz identified the ambitious nature of this bench player turned starter.......+k to you both for the effort....I will let Oline sort out the qualifications of this football shaped H Back
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Oline89

Quote from: Bartman on June 05, 2019, 08:07:06 PM

Nice candidate Johnny U, wow, I knew Union College was ahead of its time, but I didn't realize that Chester and his classmates were 20 years earlier than the 1869 Princeton- Rutgers game, and Caz identified the ambitious nature of this bench player turned starter.......+k to you both for the effort....I will let Oline sort out the qualifications of this football shaped H Back

After viewing multiple images, there is no doubt in my mind that President Arthur was an original O lineman, no chance he ever touched the pigskin, except after  a classic Shchenectady BBQ.  He appears an intimidating figure in the attached pic.  Although an esteemed alumnus of Union, I can't say he makes the list of successful D3 Football men. 

Oline89

1. R Reagan, Eureka
2. R Nixon, Whittier
3. S Palmisano, JHU
4. J Foley, Hobart
5. P Metzelaars, Wabash

6. P Garcon, MU
7. D Jennings, SLU
8. R Myers, Wesley

Mr. Ypsi

Kenny Anderson, QB for Augustana (IL), was and will probably remain the only D3 player (he graduated before  D3 existed, but then so did Ron Reagan and Dick Nixon ;)) to be named MVP of the NFL.

Oline89

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 07, 2019, 09:32:57 PM
Kenny Anderson, QB for Augustana (IL), was and will probably remain the only D3 player (he graduated before  D3 existed, but then so did Ron Reagan and Dick Nixon ;)) to be named MVP of the NFL.

Mr Y,
Anyone who played in the current D3 family of teams is eligible for the list.  Kenny A makes it

Grabowski

Oline89

Quote from: Grabowski on June 09, 2019, 08:10:35 PM
Bill Belichick?

I was going to suggest him as well, good call.

Running list:

1. R Reagan, Eureka
2. R Nixon, Whittier
3. S Palmisano, JHU
4.  B. Belichick, Wesleyan
5.  J Foley, Hobart
6. P Metzelaars, Wabash
7.  K Anderson, Augustana
8.. P Garcon, MU
9. D Jennings, SLU
10. R Myers, Wesley

Garnet

Sam Mills - Montclair St.

Grabowski

Don Shula John Carroll

Bartman

Don Shula, isn't he the guy that owns the steak restaurants?  Some good additions for Oline89 in the last few days.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Oline89

My crack research team has come up with a few more candidates:

George "the Boss" Steinbrenner played football his senior year at Williams
Bill O Reilly was a punter at Marist (when they were still D3), this one gets an *

1. R Reagan, Eureka
2. R Nixon, Whittier
3. S Palmisano, JHU
4.  B. Belichick, Wesleyan
5.  D Shula, John Carroll
6.   G Steinbrenner, Williams
7.  J Foley, Hobart
8. P Metzelaars, Wabash
9.  K Anderson, Augustana
10 . P Garcon, MU
11.  S Mills, Montclair St
12. D Jennings, SLU
13. R Myers, Wesley
14. M Patricia, RPI
15.  B O'Reilly, Marist *

Oline89

This one took me a few days to pick up on.  Awesome, love the nuance.  +K Caz