2007 Year in Review thread

Started by K-Mack, November 04, 2007, 02:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Better passing games!
The QB's and receivers are able to execute precise routes as never before.

Favre, Brady, P Manning, Romo, all of them can tell the receiver go to that point 12 yds down the field in 3.2 secs at 30 degree angle from the line of scrimmage and he will place the ball over three defenders arms and into the hands.

We used to think of 50% of the passes as completions.  We are now looking at 70% completions as a good day.

Knightstalker

I think scoring is up also because players don't tackle as well as they used to.  fundamentals are not stressed like they used to be and players are going for the spectacular play instead of the sure play.  They will try to strip the ball ala LT instead of just wrapping up the ball carrier.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

reality check

KMack

I hope this thread works out for you.

How about these fun facts:

Hartwick gets to the playoffs giving up more points than anyone in their conference at 34.2 per game on the season and only outscored their opponents by 3.7 PPG in going 8-2.

Hartwick enters the playoffs as the lowest ranked team from the Kickoff 2007 rankings (156).

Heidelberg ending their losing streak was great and I'm not certain who's got the longest losing streak in DIII.  I suspect it's Hiram at 26 games.  2 wins in the last six seasons for the Terriers, ouch. 

In the crazy finishes dept. check out the John Carroll/OTT game.  Tying score in the final seconds.  Recovered onside kick.  FG to win in Reg. hits upright.  3 OT's.  An ejection.  two more missed GW FG's. 
And more...

I don't know if there is a bigger despairity this year than Averett going from 7-3 in 2006 to 0-10 in 2007.  More research required?!?

The OAC goes 1,2,3 in NCAA DIII team sacks for the season.  (CAP, ONU, MUC)

More to come I'm sure...
OAC Champs: 1942 (one title ties us with Ohio State)
OAC Runners-Up: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2010, 2009, 2005, 2004, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1982, 1941 (Stupid Mount Union!)
MOL Champs: 1952, 1950

K-Mack

Quote from: reality check on November 14, 2007, 10:27:42 PM
I don't know if there is a bigger despairity this year than Averett going from 7-3 in 2006 to 0-10 in 2007.  More research required?!?

For the past two seasons, I do a win differential chart (although maybe Ryan could pull it from the database for me) ... That will be one of the things I can't do until the week of the Stagg Bowl if not afterward, or maybe by the semis it'll be OK to do all but four.

Point is, that chart reveals a lot, who went up the most, who went down the most, who simply played fewer games. Coach of the year candidates, etc.

The other thing is I look at biggest disparities between Kickoff rankings to see what we missed (Randolph-Macon at 201 will be one that looks bad for us) and what we nailed. Also compare the final poll and playoff finishes to all the preseason rankings & polls.

So yeah, more research required.  ;)

Glad to do it though.

Keep the suggestions coming, they are great so far.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

billrt66

K Mack: I have spoken with the publisher about your idea for a D3 rivalries book.....he is very interested!  (He's a Sewanee grad) As soon as the season is over, I will get back with you and maybe we can move this along?  Thanks for your dedication to D3 sports!!!
GO GRIZ!!

AUPepBand

Quote from: PA_wesleyfan on November 08, 2007, 07:22:42 PM
Here is a good one if you can find out the results. I wonder if there is anyone left playing O and D?

There was a player at Welsey, Andre Summers and I think it was ' 98, played offense and defense. He scored TD's about every way you could including on a kickoff on a ball that was never touched by the return team. 

As recent as 2003, Alfred had Jesse Raynor, who not only was AU's starting tailback, he also did the punting, place-kicking, kick-offs, kick-off returns...and also played cornerback with the defense in the team's "prevent" package.

http://www.empire8.com/PDF/Football%20all-conference%202003.pdf

In 2007, the Saxons' senior defensive tackle Don Miller (#99) is the go-to guy offensively in third-and-short yardage situations.

Given that situation, the pep band yells, "It's Miller Time!!"
Great taste! Less filling! Great taste! Less filling!

just had to throw that in....

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

reality check

How about Freshman RB Robert Heller from Waynesburg's 2019 rushing yards.  If he keeps this pace, and that's a helluva pace, he'd blow away RJ Bowers' career numbers.  I wonder where his 344 carries ranks for true freshmen carries in a season.  Maybe you hold off on Heller, it would be an interesting story for YIR 2010 if he keeps pace and the top two career rushers in DIII were to come out of the same conference.
OAC Champs: 1942 (one title ties us with Ohio State)
OAC Runners-Up: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2010, 2009, 2005, 2004, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1982, 1941 (Stupid Mount Union!)
MOL Champs: 1952, 1950

K-Mack

Was thinking about the 5(?) last-minute finishes in Round 1 of the playoffs.

Curry getting NEFC's 1st playoff win.

Not sure if I mentioned Whitter-Oxy as bang for buck or best game for the widespread implication. 72-70 4OT Hartwick/Utica is pretty obvious.

Mount Union's 6 straight shutouts, 7 overall and 24-point regular season defensively, followed by Ithaca's 18 points in the first round.

Thought of something else recently ... hmmm. Oh well, can't remember.

Brainstorm still open. Beginning to piece things together.

Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Note to self, mostly ... the D3 female kickers weren't all-time scoring leaders.

That did seem funny, 11 points.

According to a USA Today correction:
Tonya Butler of the University of West Alabama scored 87 points in the 2003-04 seasons.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

old ends

I remember a story back in Aug -Sept about Mike Flynt. A 59 yr old that made the Sul Ross State team. If he played at all being that age would be remarkable.  Took two weeks to remember the name of the college, then the granddaughter found it on the net... Getting old myself.

OC_SID

Quote from: K-Mack on November 13, 2007, 12:10:14 AM

Also, I believe Manchester 69, Earlham 62 was in regulation in 2005 and outdid Coe-Cornell by two points, and that game outdid a Franklin-Olivet 63-62 game (details a little shaky on that last one)

Keith,

I was going through post patterns and came across this post of yours. For future reference, below are links from the wild 63-62 Olivet win over Franklin. I remember the game because it was a road game that I actually went to. Franklin scored with 37 seconds left and chose to go for two. The two-point conversion pass attempt was knocked down by an Olivet DB. Franklin's coach said that he went two because his team had not stopped Olivet all day, and would not stop them in OT, so it was best to go for the win.

Stats: http://www.olivetcollege.edu/sports/fb/2004/0911FROL.HTM
Game recap: http://www.olivetcollege.edu/sports_news/news.php?id=372

Geoff

K-Mack

That was great stuff.

Thanks as always, G.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

muledaddy

K,

Kudos for 20000 well chosen words.

K-Mack

Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take