FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzJohnnie

@stanbob, yes that's what we need to hope for. So we need the east teams to look weak and make room for someone else to move in there.  Regardless, this Johnnie offense is reliably dangerous and the defense is very dynamic and adjustable.  I reckon we can make it far, even if they send us to UWW or UHMB because of these BS rankings. :)

Knock on wood we get there. No drop in attention and no injuries.  A team can still lose in a weekend and can go off the boil if it peaks too early. Next week at STO will be another challenge.
[  

sju56321

I'm sorry but I don't agree that Salisbury is better than SJU-but I fully understand that the ncaa seeding and playoffs are not the best 32 teams-as Pat has said over and over-travel issues, etc.
I guess we will see how far off the ncaa is this year-as D3 top 25 seems to indicate SJU is the 4th best team. I know that poll means nothing to the ncaa.
After his second touchdown catch in a record-setting day, St. John's receiver Will Gillach pointed skyward. That, folks, was for former head coach John Gagilardi. The legendary coach of the Johnnies for 60 seasons and 64 in college overall died Sunday. He was 91. His 489 victories are most in college football history in any division.

Mr.MIAC

Quote from: stanbob on October 20, 2019, 08:33:45 PM
Quote from: Reverend MIAC, PhD on October 20, 2019, 01:54:30 PM
I'm at a local place enjoying a little chicken wild rice soup, fried walleye, and Grain Belt Premium before my flight back to DC. It's hard to find this stuff outside MN. I've also been extremely hungover the past two days, which means I'm probably getting a little too old for this s**t. Anyway, it was a great game played at what felt like a pretty natural venue. I think it would nice to play some games there after the move to DI. The no beer sales thing was a little weird, thus the hangover from too much pre-gaming. Our little party at the Minneapolis Club was great fun. My thanks goes out to those who joined us. There will be one more opportunity to beat the Johnnies, so looking forward to next year

TaTa.  I really hope that your family likes you...

Umm, I'm not sure what this even means. It's stanbob, so it's probably meant to be mean-spirited. It's hard to tell, though.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: OzJohnnie on October 20, 2019, 04:28:58 PM
Quote from: sjujohnnie on October 20, 2019, 04:17:54 PM
UMHB, Mount, nor UWW have more impressive wins than SJU.

It doesn't really matter.  It's the regional rankings which are important. So we need to hope that the Johnnies rank above UWW there and can host the West.  The biggest trouble spot for the Jays is the East yet again, pretending to have a hot squad but inevitably getting beat by a mid-tier West or North playoff squad.

We need to hope that both the Tommies and Royals are ranked. That's pretty much it.  The Tommie loss to UWEC may see us playing UHMB at home again in a quarterfinal, which would suck.

As to the Top 25, the Jays are certainly top four and I reckon Top 2 with UMU, but let them be a little underrated. It never hurts to avoid the spotlight a little.

What Mid-tier west or North team? UW-W or Mount?

Mr. Ypsi

Some of you seem to be stuck in a time-warp.  It has been almost a decade since the NCAA moved away from region-based quadrants.  The committee selects the four top national seeds, then builds quadrants around them.  No one gets SENT east; the east region teams simply get put into whichever quadrant works out best for travel purposes - most typically that has meant UMU (they are at the eastern edge of Ohio, after all), but not always.

Right now, the top four would seem to be UMHB, UMU, UWW, and SJU (with Wheaton, Muhlenberg, and Ithaca breathing down their necks), though that is based on the (irrelevant to the NCAA) d3football poll - I haven't taken a look yet at SoS or RR%; maybe in a week or two.

AO

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 20, 2019, 09:48:25 PM
Some of you seem to be stuck in a time-warp.  It has been almost a decade since the NCAA moved away from region-based quadrants.  The committee selects the four top national seeds, then builds quadrants around them.  No one gets SENT east; the east region teams simply get put into whichever quadrant works out best for travel purposes - most typically that has meant UMU (they are at the eastern edge of Ohio, after all), but not always.

Right now, the top four would seem to be UMHB, UMU, UWW, and SJU (with Wheaton, Muhlenberg, and Ithaca breathing down their necks), though that is based on the (irrelevant to the NCAA) d3football poll - I haven't taken a look yet at SoS or RR%; maybe in a week or two.
The committee chair admitted last year that they don't truly do the top four seeds nationally.  If they've got someone in the East that looks remotely deserving of a 1 seed they won't even bother to compare them to a team like St. John's.

TheChucker

Quote from: AO on October 20, 2019, 10:17:07 PM

The committee chair admitted last year that they don't truly do the top four seeds nationally.  If they've got someone in the East that looks remotely deserving of a 1 seed they won't even bother to compare them to a team like St. John's.

You beat me to the punch. It's hard to imagine that the committee really thought Brockport was better than St. John's last year. UMHB people probably disagreed too as some I know were higly complimentary of the Johnnies. This year will be the real test of the supposed non-regional top seed philosophy assuming both St. John's and UMHB win out. Selection Sunday could be interesting.

SagatagSam

But, before Selection Sunday, there are 4 games to play, starting wit St. Olaf.

What do we know about the Oles this season? Who are their leaders?
Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright.

sju56321

Weren't they undefeated going into yesterday?
Didn't bethel beat them?
After his second touchdown catch in a record-setting day, St. John's receiver Will Gillach pointed skyward. That, folks, was for former head coach John Gagilardi. The legendary coach of the Johnnies for 60 seasons and 64 in college overall died Sunday. He was 91. His 489 victories are most in college football history in any division.

repete

Add to mix that Salisbury is very likely to win out. Too bad Oshkosh shot itself in its foot on its trip to the Eastern Shore. It could/should have won that game.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: TheChucker on October 20, 2019, 10:27:30 PM
Quote from: AO on October 20, 2019, 10:17:07 PM

You beat me to the punch. It's hard to imagine that the committee really thought Brockport was better than St. John's last year. UMHB people probably disagreed too as some I know were higly complimentary of the Johnnies. This year will be the real test of the supposed non-regional top seed philosophy assuming both St. John's and UMHB win out. Selection Sunday could be interesting.

Sorry, I either missed or forgot the committee chair's admission.  (With Joe Germinerio at QB, Brockport was NOT an outlandish choice.  I'd say them vs. SJU would be a 'pick-em', with a slight nod to the Johnnies.)

This year, Ithaca (with Joe G. at QB) as a top four is a bit more unlikely, but there are still several weeks to go.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: SagatagSam on October 20, 2019, 10:37:18 PM

Offensively STO are about 55/45 run/pass, the Johnnies being about 30/70.  Statistically, they are a better run defense than pass defense but both aspects of defense trail far behind SJU's capabilities according to their national stats ranking.

Against BU, STO managed 192 yards of offense (83 run / 109 pass) while the Johnnies managed 459 (326/133).  Likewise, the BU offense managed 563 (263/300) against STO and 191 (98/93) against SJU.

The STO QB has a pass efficiency rating of 160, which isn't bad, but you would think the Johnnie rush will bring some heat.  Their leading rusher averages 107 a game, so is no slouch, but hasn't busted a long run against anyone but Luther.

I think STO will come to play and will play hard but they will be outmatched. We'll hope for solid execution, no penalties and no injuries.
[  

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 20, 2019, 11:08:19 PM
Sorry, I either missed or forgot the committee chair's admission.  (With Joe Germinerio at QB, Brockport was NOT an outlandish choice.  I'd say them vs. SJU would be a 'pick-em', with a slight nod to the Johnnies.)

Or, to put it in the terms the committee actually used: With an unbeaten record and a trip to the 2017 semifinals, Brockport was not an outlandish choice.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

faunch

Quote from: OzJohnnie on October 20, 2019, 11:10:10 PM
Quote from: SagatagSam on October 20, 2019, 10:37:18 PM

Offensively STO are about 55/45 run/pass, the Johnnies being about 30/70.  Statistically, they are a better run defense than pass defense but both aspects of defense trail far behind SJU's capabilities according to their national stats ranking.

Against BU, STO managed 192 yards of offense (83 run / 109 pass) while the Johnnies managed 459 (326/133).  Likewise, the BU offense managed 563 (263/300) against STO and 191 (98/93) against SJU.

The STO QB has a pass efficiency rating of 160, which isn't bad, but you would think the Johnnie rush will bring some heat.  Their leading rusher averages 107 a game, so is no slouch, but hasn't busted a long run against anyone but Luther.

I think STO will come to play and will play hard but they will be outmatched. We'll hope for solid execution, no penalties and no injuries.

At what point this Saturday does Gary have to call off the dogs? I would say 49-0 but we can't make an extra point kick so I'll say 45-0.

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 20, 2019, 11:13:36 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 20, 2019, 11:08:19 PM

Or, to put it in the terms the committee actually used: With an unbeaten record and a trip to the 2017 semifinals, Brockport was not an outlandish choice.

Thanks, Pat.  I'd forgotten the semifinals also.  I've gotten really lazy about research since retirement! :-[