WBB: USA South Conference

Started by Mike Stanley, March 09, 2004, 07:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottiedoug

Scots and everyone else in USASouth are handicapped in several ways by it's being a league with several poor teams. Scheduling Thomas More was an effort to help SOS but they guessed wrong about several other teams they scheduled who have been strong but are not this year. 

I guess they should just win the tournament.

scottiedoug

Piedmont as usual is a scrappy and well-coached team. Maryville could not buy a basket.  And I must say the refs were pretty awful.  I hope the Scots get to play some more, but with Madison Maples out, they really need another shooter!!

hasanova

The Guilford Quakers (24-3) host the CAC's Marymount Saints (22-5) at 7:30 pm Friday.  The MACC's Albright Lions (22-5) face the USAC's  Piedmont Lions (21-7) at 5 pm.

scottiedoug

I understand the importance of SOS math, I guess, but it is disappointing that only Lynchburg from the South Region got an at large bid to the NCAA. I realize Maryville should have just won the conference tournament, but still...

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

scottiedoug

This is not good for the quality pf women's basketball in the USA South.

Scots13

It's with a heavy heart I share this news; MC senior Brittany Johnson was killed in a car wreck early this morning on I-75. Please keep the family and campus in your prayers.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

There are always a lot of games on the opening weekend of the Division III basketball season, but that doesn't always translate into headlines. Not this season. There is plenty to talk about and  Hoopsville is the place to find out what many of it means... if anything.

On Sunday's show, Dave will not only take a look at some of the incredible streaks that were broken. With the help of several guests, Dave will also get a look at who looked best at the Great Lakes Invitational while also talking to a few teams looking for solid seasons ahead.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7:00 pm ET be advised, the show will not feature video until after the Thanskgiving break): http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2017-18/nov19. You can also listen to the podcast, located to the right, after the show is off the air.

You can also send your questions to the show and have them featured on the Hoopsville Mailbag segment. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com.

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com Around the Nation columnist
- Darrin Travillian, Maryville (Tenn.) women's coach
- Tom Palombo, No. 18 Guilford men's coach
- Jon Miller, No. 4 Hanover men's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

scottiedoug

Maryville starts out on the road and loses six pretty competitive games to teams that are doing well.  Now has won four against USASouth teams, including Averett and Ferrum, which are among the better USASouth programs.  Scots have had some key injuries and lost a returning senior in a traffic accident.  They seem to be getting things together with seniors and freshmen and may turn out to be pretty good!  Scoring a lot on assists.  Nice pre-holiday finish after a disappointing start for the Scots.  Clear evidence of good coaching under challenging circumstances.

Piedmont has lots of talent returning and are sure to be competitive.

scottiedoug

Looks like Berea and Maryville and Piedmont are in a struggle in the western half of the conference.  Maryville lost a close game to Berea by not hitting foul shots. 

bballlover

Piedmont has a chance to make things interesting this weekend as they travel to Maryville and Berea.

scottiedoug

Piedmont needs to lose to Maryville and take revenge at Berea.

scottiedoug

Scots let one get away and now need Piedmont to beat Berea to even this division out.  Just did not make the plays and Piedmont did.  Shields and Sullens are good players and thankfully are seniors.

scottiedoug

Ok now Piedmont, Maryville, and Berea each has lost twice in the division. Thanks, Piedmont. Should be interesting for a few weeks.