Linfield takes 3 of 4
0 (0%)
Chapman takes 3 of 4
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Ralph Turner

Quote from: tigerfan_2001 on February 21, 2010, 09:17:16 PM
Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on February 21, 2010, 11:30:22 AM
Possible Top Teams in the West Region. No real ranking at this time. I will leave that up to someone else. Big series this week Chapman/Pomona 3 games

TEAMS W-L CONF
Trinity(8-2) SCAC
Pac Lu(7-0) NWC
Texas LU(7-1) ASC
Chapman(6-1) IND
Millsaps(6-1) SCAC
Pomona(6-2) SCIAC
Redlands(6-2) SCIAC
Cal Lu(6-3) SCIAC
East Texax Baptist(5-0) ASC
Miss Col(5-1) ASC   
Linfield(5-2) NWC

I thought Millsaps and Miss Col are in the South region, not West.  I could be wrong though...
Mississippi College is West.
Millsaps is South.

CrashDavisD3

My mistake on Millsaps. Yes I am wrong again. They are in the South Region...

Some schools in the West Region are not even West of the Mississippi.

NCAA never took geography class. I know there are enough teams in the REAL WEST..
INMO I would have named Region by numbers like Region I etc. since they are not really reflective in some cases of their true location but thats me and it will never change but thanks for the correction since I am wrong many times as usual.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Just_Some_Guy

JSG's West Division Rankings 2-22-2010

*The way I determine "key players" is pretty ambiguous. Sometimes it's who the best players actually are in my estimation. Other times it's who's started out well and has good #'s. I feel like casting a wide net enables me to recognize more players, and makes it more interesting as it fluctuates some throughout the course of the year.

1. Chapman (6-1) IND – I don't always agree with utilitycat, but he's right about the fact that Chapman should be #1 until they're not. Losing to a good NAIA team doesn't constitute falling from the top spot. It wasn't always pretty last year, but they were the team left standing when the dust settled. Tereschuk and his staff always do a good job re-loading, and this year hasn't proved any different yet. They're hitting .392 and the staff has a 2.19 ERA.

Key Players:
Sr. 1B Matt Luzar - .472 avg, 14 RBI
Sr. C Joe Lehman - .462 avg, 7 2Bs, 12 RBI
Jr. DH Adam Kordich - .458 avg, .618 OBP

Jr. SP Jordan Sigman – 2-0, 0.00 ERA, .128 avg against
Fr. SP Travis McGee - . 1-0, 0.82 ERA

Key Wins:
McMurry has a lot of new faces so it remains to be seen where they'll end up, but in the past they've always been near the top of the ASC West. Until the standings indicate otherwise these are three solid wins.

---------------------------

2. Pac Lutheran (7-0) NWC – There were a lot of unhappy people when the Lutes were left home last year, but thus far this year they seem on a mission to get back to the West Regional. They lost a few good hitters, Jordan Post included, but they return their entire weekend rotation, and a good one at that. Sophomore Brock Gates is off to a torrid start and should help upper classmen leaders Shively, Takayoshi, and Arantani continue to produce runs in the middle of the lineup.

Key Players:
So 1B Brock Gates - .500 avg, 4 HRs, 13 RBI, 11 runs
Sr. RF Josh Takayoshi - ..393 avg, 4-4 SBs

Jr SP Scott Wall – 2-0, .129 ERA, .208 avg against
Sr SP Trey Watt – 2-0, 2.77 ERA

Key Wins: Convincing wins over two of the better teams in the SCIAC, Cal Lutheran & La Verne.

3. Texas Lutheran (7-1) ASC – Was looking forward to their match-up with Trinity prior to the weather cancellation. We didn't know much about this team until they swept the two-game series with Tyler this weekend, and now we know that a.) they're scrappy as hell, b.) they're pretty good on the bump, b1.) you have to really bring it to beat Orosey c.) they can find a way to win tough games on the road. Typically those things equate to winning baseball.

Key Players:
Sr. RF Ryan Nokelby - .405 avg, 11 RBI, 0 K
Sr. SS Chris Green - . .367 avg, 13 RBI

So. SP Brad Orosey – 3-0, 1.71 ERA, 23 Ks, 1 no-no
Sr. RP Tom Hembree – 1-1, 1.42 ERA

Key Wins:
Two game series sweep @ UT Tyler

Where I felt pretty good about those first 3, it starts to get a little muddy from here on out....

4. Pomona (6-2) SCIAC – Four of their top 5 hitters are gone from last years SCIAC championship team, including the irreplaceable Drew Hedman. Two of their weekend guys are gone as well, but they do return Sr. James Kang to lead the offense and Jr. starting pitcher David Colvin, who had he not went down at the end of last year Pomona might've dethroned Chapman. The truth is we don't know much about this team at all. Fortunately for us we'll find out when they take on Chapman this weekend.

Key Players:
Sr. SS James Kang - .621 avg, 8 2Bs, 3 HR, 11 RBI
Jr. 1B Nick Frederick - .586 avg, 3 3Bs, 14 RBI

Jr. SP David Colvin – 2-0, 1.00 ERA, 26Ks, .141 avg against

Key Games: None to date really. Dropped 2 to Westmont. Fellow SCIAC member Cal Lu defeated Westmont, but did face less formidable pitching.

5. Miss Col (5-1) ASC – I think this is my favorite to come out of the ASC East. Similar to Tyler they lost a lot of arms, save last year's #2 Tyler Seamen who's off to a great start this year, but unlike Tyler they return a few more key contributors at the plate. Last year they found a way to tie Tyler atop the East standings with a 5.99 ERA so if another starter or two emerge (they acquired a handful of JUCO guys) and Cowart continues to shine on the back-end they could sneak an at large bid, provided they don't win the tournament. Bare in mind they've also played a tougher schedule to date than many of the teams on this list.

Key Players:
Sr. LF Bo Bell - .318, 2 HR, 6 RBI

SR. SP Tyler Seamen – 2-0, 3.18 ERA
Jr. RP Daniel Cowart – 0.00 ERA, 2 SV, .162 avg against

Key Games: Nice win over Millsaps

6. Linfield (5-3) NWC – They were on the outside looking in last year, and while they bring back a good portion of an offense that hit .327 last year, they lost a lot of arms. Including 2 of their top 3 guys, and the 3rd hasn't thrown yet this year. This could signify trouble for the Cats, who are currently sporting a 5.79 team ERA. If McCulley comes back strong I think they'll finish second in the NWC, but I predict Pac Lu will run away the conference making it virtually impossible for another team to snag an at large bid unless they take 3 of 4 from Chapman late in the season.

Key Players:
Sr. SS/P Kelson Brown - .529 avg, 13 runs, 3 HR, 12 RBI
Sr. DH/1b Rhett Finton - .379 avg, 4 2Bs

So SP Casey Cameron – 1-0, 4.00 ERA, .156 avg against

Key Games: Defeated Cal Lu and La Verne from the SCIAC

7. Cal Lu (6-3) SCIAC – The SCIAC picture should begin to take shape with Pomona playing Chapman this weekend and the Kingsmen taking on the Redlands. I think like the Kingsmen better than Pomona, but I can't justify ranking them ahead of Linfield yet, having lost to them with one of their top 2 pitchers from last year on the bump against a committee from Linfield. So far Selden's transition to a starter has been very solid, and if Tigert can re-discover what made him successful last year they're definitely my pick to take the SCIAC. As an aside, I love the team speed here.

Key Players:
Sr. Jordan Ott - .538 avg, 4 HR, 19 RBI
Sr. Chris Hertz - .476 avg, 11:1 BB/K ratio, 8-8 SBs

SP Robbie Selden – 2-0, 2.04 ERA,
SP Greg Gelber – 2-1, 3.77 ERA, .226 avg against

Key Games: Defeated George Fox, Lost to Pac Lu and Linfield

8. Trinity(8-2) SCAC – I realize they're 8-2. I realize they're blasting the baseball, and it looks like they've had some guys emerge as legitimate rotation guys, but I'm not sold yet. For one, I don't think they've played anyone yet, and I think all the young guys seeing a lot of time are prone to make a lot mistakes, particularly early on. I'll say right now I think this team finds a way to get to Oregon, but until I see the staff challenged by a stronger schedule, and the .949 F% climb a bit they'll remain outside the top five.

Key Players:
Sr. 1B Evan Jones - .548 avg, 3 HR, 15 RBI
So Nick Pappas - .500 avg, 7 extra base hits, .620 OBP
Jr. C Kyle Felix - .479 avg, 17 runs, 18 RBI, 0 Ks

Jr. SP Michael Panozzo – 3-0, 2.57 ERA, .247 avg against

Key Games: Klimesh shutting out UMHB was notable.

9. Redlands(6-2) SCIAC
Another SCIAC team we'll have a lot better feel for after this week. They've played 2 conference series against teams they should beat and won 4 of 6. Both games they lost were on the road. They're definitely going to miss Nolan Nicholson at the front of that rotation. They'll also miss their top 2 hitters, and top 3 base running threats from last year. I think they''e an above average team that might struggle to stay in these rankings as the year progresses. The X factors might be sophomores (2B) Chase Tucker and (SP) Kyle Hart.

Key Players:
So. 2B Chase Tucker - .533, .650 OBP
Sr. C Jefre Johnson - .394, 7 extra base hits

Jr. SP Derrick Johnson – 2-0, 3.00 ERA, 21Ks, .232 avg against
So. RP Brock Jacobo – 0.90 ERA, 2 SV

Key Games: None yet

10. Who Knows
My first instinct was UT Tyler because I think they could be there in the end, but it's not the end, they have a losing record and they dropped both games to UMHB.

So then UMHB makes logical sense right? With Lynn starting off cold and little semblance of a bullpen I just think they're going to have trouble winning series against the better teams in conference play.

UTD defeated UMHB and took 2 of 3 from Hardin Simmons. Their resume isn't bad, but until Reeder settles in as the 3rd starter, and someone other than Spinn emerges out of their pen I can't justify ranking them either.

Hope you enjoy!

JSG

tigerfan_2001

thanks for that....going to be interesting to follow throughout the year

swbaseball3

To JSG...very nice overview of the region.  It is hard to disagree.  One point to make, Texas Lutheran is very interesting this year.  They are a team after my heart.  They play exception defense.  They have a strong pitching staff (sans a legit 3rd starter) and they PUT THE BALL IN PLAY, a lot!  With the exception of their one loss in 40 degress and raining, they've made less than a handful of errors in 7 games.

BTW, UT Tyler has a stable of pitchers, several with plus velocity.  TLU's 26 hits in two games should confirm my comment.

SwBaseball3

dp643

I dont think racking up 26 hits against UT Tyler in 2 games really means much at this point. Their pitching has been very shaky to start this season, and Plus velocity means very little in getting people out in my opinion. UMHB as a team right now is hitting .292 which is nowhere near where I or anyone expected them to be since they are returning pretty much the whole lineup from last years team that hit .322.

Where am I going with that? UMHB is hitting the ball very poorly in comparison to where they should be at and they still managed 25 hits against UT Tyler in one less inning. I dont think Tyler is very impressive on the mound from what they have shown thus far. They better get it figured out or in my opinion Mississippi College could run away with the east.

TLU's advantage on the west is the fact that they have arguably the best pitcher, and arguably the best 1-2 punch in their rotation. Is Staggs the number 3? I dont know who Sans is??

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: dp643 on February 24, 2010, 08:14:02 AM
TLU's advantage on the west is the fact that they have arguably the best pitcher, and arguably the best 1-2 punch in their rotation. Is Staggs the number 3? I dont know who Sans is??

Agreed. Unless something changes I think most west teams will find themselves trying to win both Saturday games to take the series.

Sans = without, in the absence of, in absentia

I think as of today, Staggs is the #3.

JSG

swbaseball3

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on February 24, 2010, 12:26:33 PM
Quote from: dp643 on February 24, 2010, 08:14:02 AM

Agreed. Unless something changes I think most west teams will find themselves trying to win both Saturday games to take the series.

Sans = without, in the absence of, in absentia

I think as of today, Staggs is the #3.

JSG

Staggs is #3.  He can be good and then you wonder where he goes.

Voorhees

Loved the breakdown Guy, always in depth. I wish I could see this weekend's matchup between Pomona and Chapman, that should be good. I've never seen Pomona, but I do know alittle about Chapman. I really haven't figured out how Sigman does it, he must have some late movement or something. He never seemed like he did anything special, but you look up at the end of the game, and very few balls will have been squared up. We'll see if he can keep up his dominant start to 2010.

dp643

Brent,

Whats the story with McMurry this year?

Voorhees

Well, I'm working about 5 and a half hours away, so I haven't seen them play. I do not know about half of the roster it seems like; i do not recognize 6 of the starters in the game against lubbock christian. But I can tell you, in my years of McMurry ('05-'09), only 2006 did we open out of the gate well. I would not give up on them yet, they do have many talented players still left over from my playing days.

However, conference is quickly approaching. I like Jake Mullin to take over that offense pretty quick. It's just a matter of time. Dakato Smith can be outstanding; I like him to return to his 2008 form where he just grabbed the ball and threw it and let his natural movement do the rest. Davis has stepped up, but it'll take more than just him.

I do not know the make up of the team, but I do know the make up of the coach. They will be competitive in conference, I wouldn't write them off yet.

Voorhees

Chapman takes game one 8-4. I haven't found any details about the game anywhere.

tigerfan_2001

you can take Trinity out of the rankings after dropping 2 games to Hendrix.  Trinity lost the first game 13-12 after leading 12-2 going into the 7th.  They were one out away from a run rule, only to be outscored 11-0 over the final 3 innings.  They dropped the next game 7-4.

Just_Some_Guy

Cal Lutheran would also drop out after getting swept by the Redlands, and TLU would move down significantly after dropping 2 of 3 to University of Dallas. The problem is finding teams to replace them both. Maybe UT Dallas, maybe Mary Hardin Baylor. I don't really envision any teams from the NWC save Pac Lu and Linfield making an impact, and I'm not ready to rank Claremont-MS either.

Maybe the next set of rankings will be more from the perspective of who might make up the West Regional.

JSG

dp643

As of right now it looks as if Miss. College is the class of the ASC this year. The rest of the teams have been very inconsistent, and I dont think at this point I could see any at large coming from the ASC this season. I know its early, but I just dont think any of the teams have enough pitching to put up 30+ wins.

I am glad to see that it looks like Sul Ross and Howard Payne might make some noise in the ASC West this year. They look to be improving, but is it just the weak opening competition at this point?