Chapman sweeps
0 (0%)
Linfield takes 3 of 4
0 (0%)
Chapman takes 3 of 4
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

CUAfan

Here's my new West top 10. Where it says offense, pitching, and defense rankings, that means how they place by BaseRuns per PA, defense-neutral BaseRun Average, and defensive efficiency within the West Region.

No. Team, Conf - W% (Offense/Pitching/Defense)
1. Texas-Tyler, ASC - .872 (1st/2nd/3rd)
2. Linfield, NWC - .829 (27th/1st/1st)
3. Chapman, IND - .811 (7th/3rd/2nd)
4. Ozarks, ASC - .783 (4th/4th/11th)
5. Trinity (TX), SCAC - .742 (7th/6th/21st)
6. Pomona-Pitzer, SCIAC - .735 (8th/11th/6th)
7. Mary Hardin-Baylor, ASC - .729 (2nd/21st/10th)
8. Redlands, SCIAC - .681 (11th/7th/16th)
9. McMurry, ASC - .678 (3rd/22nd/23rd)
10. George Fox, NWC - .668 (12th/15th/15th)
Let's go 'Nados!

CUAfan

And here are my new player top 10's for the West Region. By way of explanation, BsR/PA means how many BaseRuns a player produces per plate appearance; DBsRA is how many BaseRuns a pitcher allows per 9 IP, given an average defense; and VORP is how many BaseRuns a player/pitcher produced over what a "replacement level" player would have done in the same playing time. Batter PA's are pro-rated by percentage of a team's plate appearances to account for differing schedule lengths, but I do not have any such adjustment at this time for pitchers, which are split (to the best of my ability) into starters and relievers.

BsR/PA
M. Olsen, Puget Sound - .389, 117 PA
Carmona, Whittier - .350, 84
D. David, McMurry - .347, 156
K. Fox, Texas-Tyler - .346, 157
D. Hedman, Pomona-Pitzer - .342, 123
Cappalletti, Whittier - .338, 122
M. Vass, Chapman - .337, 112
T. Fogerty, Dallas - .328, 115
E. Jones, Trinity (TX) - .321, 153
D. Ward, Hendrix - .319, 160

VORP
M. Olsen, Puget Sound – 32.58, 117 PA
K. Fox, Texas-Tyler – 28.23, 157
D. David, McMurry – 28.03, 156
E. Jones, Trinity (TX) – 26.36, 153
D. Hedman, Pomona-Pitzer – 26.16, 123
T. Fogerty, Dallas – 25.69, 115
D. Ward, Hendrix – 25.57, 160
M. Vass, Chapman – 25.39, 112
T. Williams, Concordia-Texas – 24.67, 166
Cappalletti, Whittier – 24.20, 122

Starter DBsRA
W. Kitchens, Chapman – 2.59, 24.2 IP
B. Holland, Texas-Tyler – 2.92, 68.2
E. Bronson, Trinity (TX) – 2.96, 52.2
T. Watt, Pacific Lutheran – 3.26, 39.0
M. Ryder, Menlo – 3.28, 70.0
C. Curry, McMurry – 3.29, 50.1
B. Booher, Texas-Tyler – 3.40, 53.2
G. Dorn, Linfield – 3.45, 54.1
T. Koch, Ozarks – 3.47, 50.0
R. Poffenroth, Trinity (TX) – 3.53, 42.1

Starter VORP
B. Holland, Texas-Tyler – 33.46, 68.2
M. Ryder, Menlo – 31.33, 70.0
E. Bronson, Trinity (TX) – 25.45, 52.2
N. Nicholson, Redlands – 23.32, 73.0
B. Booher, Texas-Tyler – 23.32, 53.2
G. Dorn, Linfield – 23.28, 54.1
C. Curry, McMurry – 22.44, 50.1
W. Willis, Southwestern (TX) – 22.36, 58.2
M. Cox, Texas-Dallas – 21.84, 62.2
M. McCarthy, Redlands – 21.60, 67.1

Reliever DBsRA
K. Yacko, Chapman – 2.29, 33.0 IP
B. Ziegler, Texas-Tyler – 2.52, 26.2
R. Vaughn, Linfield – 2.57, 11.2
T. Fransen, Pacific (OR) – 2.60, 22.1
J. Scheuring, Ozarks – 2.71, 14.2
G. Wheatley, La Verne – 2.76, 20.0
B. Morgan, Louisiana College – 3.06, 16.1
K. Evans, Texas-Tyler – 3.07, 9.1
M. Luzar, Chapman – 3.17, 17.1
J. Denson, Mississippi College – 3.29, 13.0

Reliever VORP
K. Yacko, Chapman – 18.38, 33.0 IP
B. Ziegler, Texas-Tyler – 14.19, 26.2
K. Barton, Hardin-Simmons – 13.55, 31.1
D. Keine, Hendrix – 13.45, 42.1
R. Gustafson, Puget Sound – 13.44, 30.1
Z. Bukowski, Trinity (TX) – 11.71, 26.2
T. Fransen, Pacific (OR) – 11.68, 22.1
M. Lessig, Redlands – 11.43, 32.2
G. Wheatley, La Verne – 10.09, 20.0
P. Schmitt, Cal Lutheran – 9.62, 28.1
Let's go 'Nados!

sagehenalum47

some of you were wondering the status of colvin on Pomona-Pitzer...according to some of my r sagehen sources, Colvin dislocated his left (his pitching arm) shoulder diving for a ball in batting practice, and needs offseason surgery. However, this kid is an incredible athlete and actually played a little bit of high school quarterback, in which he threw RIGHTY. not wanting to give up on his season he has worked the past two weeks to see if he can come back as a righthanded pitcher, and from what i've heard, he is every bit as nasty as a righty...possibly throwing in the mid 80s! he is going to get a start against whittier, so we'll see how he does. in any case this is one mentally tough kid and one mentally tough team. i'm expecting big things

CUAfan

If he successfully pulls that off, does that make him eligible for comeback player of the year? I hope it does...that would be one of the most impressive athletic feats I've ever heard. Probably 9 of 10 kids that have that injury end up writing off the rest of their season; Colvin's trying to come back and help his team somehow.

+1 karma to Colvin! :P
Let's go 'Nados!

Jack Parkman

That has got to be one of the coolest things I have ever heard.  I am sure he will be on a very short leash since they are in a "pennant race" but still very cool.  Too bad he got hurt while having such a great year.  Just another example of a pitcher thinking he is an athlete ;)

sagehenalum47

just an update on colvin. i made the drive down to claremont to see him throw righty, and i am IMPRESSED. this kid is an absolute bulldog. it took him a few innings to settle in (he left a few pitches out over the plate) but he only gave up 1 run in his last 5 innings of work. overall, 8 IP, 4 runs, 3 earned. he was throwing mid 80s as advertised and his offspeed looked good. Pomona-Pitzer 10-5 over whittier.

Jack Parkman

Sagehenalum47-  The Pomona-Pitzer home page says that Colvin throws right/bats right.  Are you sure he was a LHP before he got hurt?

sagehenalum47

the PP roster has always had a number of mistakes in it, including a few guys class yr and positions they play, so maybe they made a mistake? all i know is what ive heard from some old friends on the team...

SoCalBaseball998

Quote from: sagehenalum47 on April 11, 2008, 03:39:32 AM
some of you were wondering the status of colvin on Pomona-Pitzer...according to some of my r sagehen sources, Colvin dislocated his left (his pitching arm) shoulder diving for a ball in batting practice, and needs offseason surgery. However, this kid is an incredible athlete and actually played a little bit of high school quarterback, in which he threw RIGHTY. not wanting to give up on his season he has worked the past two weeks to see if he can come back as a righthanded pitcher, and from what i've heard, he is every bit as nasty as a righty...possibly throwing in the mid 80s! he is going to get a start against whittier, so we'll see how he does. in any case this is one mentally tough kid and one mentally tough team. i'm expecting big things

I heard about this story, and I had to make the trip out from the San Fernando Valley to check this kid out. Believe it or not he had some amazing stuff coming from the other side. Off speed was solid and fastball had zip with movement. He is a well built kid so the velocity was not very surprising. However, the breakers were still extremely devestating to hitters. Kid has a lot of heart for going through with this. I will definitely be trying the keep up on the story for the remainder of the season.

Jack Parkman

Here is a question that some of you might be able to answer.

If La Verne wins the SCIAC and George Fox wins the NWC, do either Pomona or Linfield make the tournament?  Both have very good records but I am not sure if the voters would put 2 teams from each conference in the tournament.

Ralph Turner

Jack, we anxiously await:

1)  the 2008 Baseball Handbook.
2)  the first regional rankings.

Those two things will give us the idea of how competitive the West Region has been.  When the information on Pool C bids is made public and we can see the Regional Rankings, then we can get an idea of how P-P and Linfield may stack up.

sagehenalum47

i would say PP's pool C chance is going to come down to how they do against Chapman this weekend. if they are able to take 2/3, they have a great shot.

doctor K

Quote from: sagehenalum47 on April 13, 2008, 10:29:46 PM
i would say PP's pool C chance is going to come down to how they do against Chapman this weekend. if they are able to take 2/3, they have a great shot.

2 out of 3 from Chapman??? I don't believe that anybody has taken a series from Chapman this year!!! This will be a great weekend for PP if that happens but I dont really believe that Chapman's pitching staff will let that happen especially with the offense, and defense  that Chapman has this year . Yacko is on a terror, Kitchens is throwing great and Voss and some kid named Kyle Redding????, just to name a few Chapman is undoubtbly stacked from top to bottom and the injury to Kitchens has brought in a few new names to the hill Sigmond and Clear that are throwing phenominal., LaVerne was able to hold this potent offense to a few hard earned runs but they were able to get timely hits and runs from the veterns that know how to win. It will be a great baseball weekend no matter the outcome. But we must not forget that Chapman's 18 game winning streak that broke a school record from the 99 season of 17 straight wins is on the line and it will be hard pressed to scratch out a win from them but the games must be played right? That is the great thing about BB anything can happen on any given day. Got to love it!!! ;D

Browneagle64

Indeed Saturday's game between the hens and the SCIAC co-champs will be great to hear about. Both teams are on fire and collecting wins with their offense and pitching. However, as mentioned by Doc. K, here's where a tough team like Chapman preveils and shows the d3 world why they are considered the best team in D3baseball.
So. Cal D3baseball couldn't get any better than this. Chapman takes this series away from their Co-champ counterparts by an easy sweep.
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

sagehenalum47

doctor K, you are so amazed with chapman's 18 game winning streak. you realize the sagehens had a 19 game winning streak of their own earlier this season?