MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry_u

Better Dead then Red

imderekpoe

I have gathered together the rosters and stats for the teams that will be playing at Capital this weekend.  They can be found here:  http://www.jtaswell.com/2009MBB/2009_MBB_Capital_Pod_Stats.htm

If anyone cares to have that information in an excel file, drop me a note and I'll be happy to send it to you!

albertjackson

How about the OAC getting 2 home sectionals? I expect JCU & Capital will both win their openers. After that who knows. Either team could potentially make sweet 16 or Elite 8. Any news on who made all conference in the OAC. I have been waiting to hear. I wish D3 had recruiting deadlines so as a fan we could see who is going where. I live in Cleveland and wonder where some of the local cagers are headed. If anybody hears anything please share - perhaps that kind of info could carry the board through an otherwise dead period. Best of luck to our OAC representatives. Ive got Wheaton, Trinity, R. Stockton & F&M in the final 4. Couldnt agree more with the rediculousness of the bracket formation. Totally uneven - SAD! D3 & the NCAA should be embarrassed to put together a national tournament in this manner. Could you imagine this in D1?! I cant imagine the DII model being this crazy either. How do they do it? If it works for them, cant DIII adopt a similar approach? Anything but this mess!

Gregory Sager

Unfortunately, we're stuck with a geographically-based bracket every year because D3 has to hold its tournament on D1's dime. Our tourney doesn't make money; the TV contract D1 enjoys for March Madness funds the tournaments for everybody else, regardless of level or sport. The person who pays the piper calls the tune. Unless the D1 folks are feeling generous enough to spring for more plane trips for D3 teams, the D3 selection committee is going to continue to have to set up ridiculously top-heavy brackets that keep everyone within 500 miles of campus if at all possible.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

ScotsFan

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 05, 2009, 01:45:16 PM
Unfortunately, we're stuck with a geographically-based bracket every year because D3 has to hold its tournament on D1's dime. Our tourney doesn't make money; the TV contract D1 enjoys for March Madness funds the tournaments for everybody else, regardless of level or sport. The person who pays the piper calls the tune. Unless the D1 folks are feeling generous enough to spring for more plane trips for D3 teams, the D3 selection committee is going to continue to have to set up ridiculously top-heavy brackets that keep everyone within 500 miles of campus if at all possible.
We know that we are not going to get perfectly balanced brakets like they get in DI.  But come on!  This years bracket is about as rediculous as it gets!  Does the D3 selection committee have any creativity whatsoever?  I just don't get why, if the gurus here on this board can easily see ways to at least lessen the top heaviness of certain pods on the bracket without having to change anyones flight plans, why can't the committee see this???  And especially considering that the women's selection committee does a much better job of this than the men's selection committee ever has...  ???

It's just sad to think that we have some pretty damn good final 4 matchups in the 2nd freaking round of the tournament?!   :o   How does this happen???  ::)

David Collinge

Quote from: albertjackson on March 05, 2009, 01:06:56 PMAny news on who made all conference in the OAC. I have been waiting to hear.

http://www.oac.org/
Nate Stahl of Capital repeats as MOP.

sac

Quote from: albertjackson on March 05, 2009, 01:06:56 PM
How about the OAC getting 2 home sectionals? I expect JCU & Capital will both win their openers. After that who knows. Either team could potentially make sweet 16 or Elite 8. Any news on who made all conference in the OAC. I have been waiting to hear. I wish D3 had recruiting deadlines so as a fan we could see who is going where. I live in Cleveland and wonder where some of the local cagers are headed. If anybody hears anything please share - perhaps that kind of info could carry the board through an otherwise dead period. Best of luck to our OAC representatives. Ive got Wheaton, Trinity, R. Stockton & F&M in the final 4. Couldnt agree more with the rediculousness of the bracket formation. Totally uneven - SAD! D3 & the NCAA should be embarrassed to put together a national tournament in this manner. Could you imagine this in D1?! I cant imagine the DII model being this crazy either. How do they do it? If it works for them, cant DIII adopt a similar approach? Anything but this mess!

Don't quote me on this but I think D2 uses an even stricter Regional model.

billy the kid

First Team
Name, School                   Yr.          Pos.    High School
Kyle Meyer, Ohio North   Jr.   W   Columbus Grove
Rudy Kirbus, John Carr   Jr.   F   Willoughby Hills/St. Ignatius
Nate Stahl,       Capital      Sr.   W   St. Henry
Trevor Scott, Muskingu   Sr.   G   Loudonville
Ryan Wood,     Capital    Sr.   W   Pickerington/Central
Justin Gaines, Wilming   Sr.   G   Cincinnati/Colerain

Second  Team
Name, School           Yr.   Pos.   Hometown, High School
Andrew Bene, B-W           Sr.   P   Hinckley/Medina Highland
Brian Pollock, Otterbein   Jr.   G   London
Tyler Felt, Muskingum *   Sr.   F   Cambridge
Maurice Haynes II, JC      So.   F   Villa Angela-St. Joseph
Brandon Rogers, Wil %    Jr.   F   Xenia
Chris Switzer, Mount U=  Sr.   G   Euclid/Stow-Monroe Falls

Honorable Mention
Name, School                   Yr.   Pos.    High School
Kevin Knab, Marietta   Fr.   F   Lakewood
Kurtis Brown, Ohio N                Sr.   W             Continental
Trevor Halter, Marietta   Fr.   W   Malvern
Travis Kinn, Heidelberg   Jr.   F   Alvada/New Riegel
Quintin Mitchell, Capital   Sr.   P   Toledo/Libby
Josh Calver, Heidelberg   Jr.   G   Shelby
Ezra Bradshaw, Ohio No   Jr.   G   Cincinnati/Princeton
David Pellerite, Mount Union   So.   G   Olmsted Falls
Chris Zajac, John Carroll   Jr.   G   Brecksville-Broadview Hts.
Isaiah Creasap, Marietta $=   Sr.   G   Wooster/Northwestern

OFFENSE IS EXCITING...DEFENSE WINS GAMES.....REBOUNDING WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS                                                                    ...

kiltedbryan

John Carroll wins and advances to face the Brockport State/Carnegie Mellon winner.  Does anyone know why JCU played the first game?  I thought hosts always played in the second game on Friday nights?

Anyway, Thomas More is unwilling to roll over for Capital, and is causing trouble for the Crusaders with a full-court press attack.

The Saints lead 38-36 at the half in Columbus.

Wooster advanced, beating Gettysburg 79-66 in the early game at Capital.  The Scots will face the Saints/Crusaders winner tomorrow.

Hugenerd

Quote from: kiltedbryan on March 06, 2009, 08:57:03 PM
John Carroll wins and advances to face the Brockport State/Carnegie Mellon winner.  Does anyone know why JCU played the first game?  I thought hosts always played in the second game on Friday nights?

Anyway, Thomas More is unwilling to roll over for Capital, and is causing trouble for the Crusaders with a full-court press attack.

The Saints lead 38-36 at the half in Columbus.

Wooster advanced, beating Gettysburg 79-66 in the early game at Capital.  The Scots will face the Saints/Crusaders winner tomorrow.

CMU wins in double-OT.  The game went that long mainly due to 17 missed FTs by CMU.  They will face John Carroll tomorrow.  I am guessing they will face a very different team than they did back in November.  Will be interesting to follow the game though.

kiltedbryan

Capital also advances, eeeeeking past a major upset bid by Thomas More to win 80-77 in OT.  Capital will face Wooster tomorrow for a berth in the Sweet 16.

While I have enjoyed watching Capital the past few years, in this instance I must show my true colors:  Let's Go Scots!!

jcu_fan

JCU wins on a last second shot by Chris Zajac.  Great game.  CMU had the height advantage, too.  That's a big team.  It almost looked like the shortest of their starters was taller than the tallest of ours.  That makes me feel a little better about JCU's size.  Who are the best teams with big players left in the tourney?

Great fans too, from CMU.  Very classy.  (I'm a Pittsburgh transplant, so it's good to see a Pittsburgh team represent so well.) 

kiltedbryan

John Carroll will host one of the men's sectionals next weekend, where they will face Guilford on Friday night.  Winner will face the winner of University of Texas-Dallas or Capital for the right to go to the Final Four.

If JCU can stay unbeaten at home, a final four bid awaits.

jcu_fan

Quote from: kiltedbryan on March 08, 2009, 12:49:25 PM

If JCU can stay unbeaten at home, a final four bid awaits.

Here's hoping.  The students will be back, too, so the place will be rocking.  The end of the CMU game was the loudest I've ever heard the place, and that was without a lot of the football team that usually shows up.

hasanova

Quote from: jcu_fan on March 07, 2009, 09:51:48 PM
Who are the best teams with big players left in the tourney?
Guilford's pretty good ... and their center, Tyler Sanborn, is 6'10"/235.  He was former DIII POY Ben Strong's back-up his freshman year, then they started side-by-side during Sanborn's sophomore season.  This season, his junior year, Tyler's really come into his own as a great player.  It certainly helps that Guilford's starting guards, Henson and Bonner, are averaging over 19 and 16 ppg, respectively ... you can't collapse inside on Sanborn because the guards are great outside shooters.