MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

Holstege graduated in 1998.  Technically he qualifies.   He was a tremendous player at Hope, but I doubt he was one of the best all-decade players for all of D3.

Jeremy Veenstra from Calvin would be another choice, but again, not sure he was one of the all-decade best players in D3.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: sac on September 15, 2007, 10:27:08 PM
Holstege graduated in 1998.  Technically he qualifies.   He was a tremendous player at Hope, but I doubt he was one of the best all-decade players for all of D3.

Jeremy Veenstra from Calvin would be another choice, but again, not sure he was one of the all-decade best players in D3.

How about Aaron Winkle?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

sac

Winkle graduated in 2000, so yeah he qualifies.

He's probably in the same category as Veenstra

kiltedbryan

Seemed like no better place to mention this:

Congratulations to Capital, Baldwin-Wallace, John Carroll and Ohio Northern, who all received rankings/votes in the 2007-2008 d3hoops preseason poll.

Capital, ranking at #10, could be both an OAC and a national power this season.  Then again, knowing this conference, they could go something like 7-9 in the league.    ;D

Baldwin-Wallace earned slot #20 from the voters.

Rounding out the league, John Carroll and Ohio Northern were both in the "others receiving votes" category (were this ranked, they would be 39th and 41st, respectively).

I don't have any analysis of this personally, as I am barely getting back into basketball mode. Most of you would've known me last season as "scotsbrod," btw. I decided to make a moniker switch in the off-season.

Well, here's to another fun year in the OAC.

Basketball23

OAC Pre-Season Poll came out today....

Men’s Coaches Poll
Rank School (first Place Votes) Pts.
1.  Capital [8] 80
2. Heidelberg (1) 61
3. John Carroll (1) 60
4. Ohio Northern 53
5. Baldwin-Wallace 52
6. Muskingum 44
7. Wilmington 36
8. Otterbein 34
9. Mount Union 21
10. Marietta 9

About what i expected just kind of surprised Heidelberg was so high and Wilmington was so low. Wilmington returns everyone from a talented/athletic team that no one wanted to play down the stretch last year. Also curious to see who didnt have Cap first. Obviously they cant vote for themselves but that still leaves a first place vote not accounted for. Should be another interesting year. Thoughts/Comments?

EDITED by D. Collinge to get rid of that annoying cool-dude smiley that pops up whenever anyone puts an 8 in parentheses)
Good Players practice until they get it right, Great Players practice until they can't get it wrong.

ScotsFan

I think it's interesting that B-W is picked 5th when they are ranked 20th in the pre-season D3hoops.com poll.  Meanwhile Heidelberg checks in at #2 in the OAC Coaches Poll when they aren't even receiving a single vote in the D3hoops.com poll. 

Based on returning players, Capital should win hands down.  But going by past history and the unpredictability of the OAC, it wouldn't surprise me to see any one of 5-6 teams challenge for the title when it's all said and done.  Once again, it should make for some very entertaining basketball!

oacplayer

Quote from: Basketball23 on November 07, 2007, 02:08:56 PM
OAC Pre-Season Poll came out today....

Men’s Coaches Poll
Rank School (first Place Votes) Pts.
1.  Capital [8] 80
2. Heidelberg (1) 61
3. John Carroll (1) 60
4. Ohio Northern 53
5. Baldwin-Wallace 52
6. Muskingum 44
7. Wilmington 36
8. Otterbein 34
9. Mount Union 21
10. Marietta 9

About what i expected just kind of surprised Heidelberg was so high and Wilmington was so low. Wilmington returns everyone from a talented/athletic team that no one wanted to play down the stretch last year. Also curious to see who didnt have Cap first. Obviously they cant vote for themselves but that still leaves a first place vote not accounted for. Should be another interesting year. Thoughts/Comments?

I wonder why wilmington is so low. This team is returning everyone and is looking to compete for a league title this year. Wilmington swept BW last year with there All- American Tori Davis. This league will be ran by the guards this year and Wilmington is loaded with guards and wings.

EDITED for formatting

Presto

i'm surprissed bw was voted 5th.  i know they lost some great players over the last 2 yrs but this team is well coached and has a lot of depth.  they will be there in the end.

kiltedbryan

Around the league:

Baldwin-Wallace (1-1): def. Fredonia St. 94-76 (@ Penn. St.-Behrend); lost @ Penn. St. Behrend 73-68.
Capital (1-1): def. Illinois College 76-53 (@ Mt. St. Joseph); lost @ Mt. St. Joseph 94-80.
Heidelberg (1-0): won @ Tiffin 109-77.
John Carroll (2-0): def. Randolph-Macon 68-66 (@ Albright); won at Albright 69-67.
Marietta (0-2): lost @ Gettysburg 89-82; lost to Wesley 101-87 (@ Gettysburg).
Mount Union (1-0): def. Hiram 95-84.
Muskingum (1-1): def. U. Northwest Ohio 71-52 (@ Shawnee St.); lost @ Shawnee St. 82-67
Ohio Northern (1-1): lost to Wash. U. 74-58 (@ Calvin); def. Grace Bible 72-67 (@ Calvin)
Otterbein (0-2): lost to St. Thomas 73-67 (@ Wooster); lost to Farmingdale St. 98-94 (@ Wooster).
Wilmington (2-0): def. Defiance 59-57 (@ Thomas More); def. Anderson 83-72 (@ Thomas More).

ScotsFan

Cap gave the OAC a 2 game lead in the battle for bragging rights between the OAC and the NCAC with a closer than expected 79-75 win over Witt in Springfield last night.

Witt will get another shot at the OAC in their next game one week from today when they host ONU.

The NCAC/OAC Challenge is also taking place this weekend at Capital and at Kenyon.  On Saturday, Denison will be playing @ Cap while the other matchup in Columbus will feature Kenyon vs. Musky.  Then on Sunday, Cap will take on Kenyon in Gambier while the other game is Denison vs. Musky.  I fear that the NCAC might only come out with one win over the weekend in the Challenge if that? :-\

There is one other game that pits our conferences against each other this weekend and that takes place at Rochester where B-W will be taking on OWU on Saturday.

kiltedbryan

Quote from: ScotsFan on November 07, 2007, 07:17:02 PM
I think it's interesting that B-W is picked 5th when they are ranked 20th in the pre-season D3hoops.com poll.

B-W won't stay there long, as they follow up a thumping by OWU with a loss to Cortland State 87-84 to go 0-2 on the weekend at the Rochester tournament, and fall to 1-3 for the season.

Looks like the conference voters may have had a more accurate picture of B-W than the national poll, based on early results....then again, maybe it's just that OWU is being under-estimated, and I don't know much about Cortland State, so I can't really tell you how that loss fits in the picture.

Regardless, it's pretty clear you can't stay in the poll starting your season 1-3.

Toph

How about JCU only losing to CSU by 10?  I think they led in the second half as well.  Not a bad showing!

onefan

John Carroll comes to play....anytime,anywhere....indeed a nice showing....As to the OAC....I wouldn't put money on anyone at this point. Cap should be tough, but there are alot of unknowns due to graduation...I think the Muskies are a team that might sneak up on a few teams this year...Junior Tyler Felt is off to a good start and they have some young talent in  Sophmore guards Byrne and Bourquin. Brandon Todd back for his Senior year... The kid can play and I think they will prove to be a force to be reckoned with this year...As always,I would venture to say we are going to be treated to the usual host of " single digit wins" in Conference play throughout the season. I actually think the league is a slight bit weaker this year with the graduation of some "marquee" players, but that won't necessarily make for any less exciting roundball, in my opinion. My prediction...worth absolutely nothing...at least six teams with a shot at the regular season title as late as two weeks left in the season...I really don't see any team surviving without multiple losses....Just another year in the OAC...

bouncer1

After round 1, was anyone surprised at the outcomes?  My observations--3 teams that were supposed to win, did. How about the Berg losing by 10 to the Quakers--Are they for real?  Undefeated so far and I hear that their gym was packed for the OAC opener. Coach Hunt has them playing well. OAC #2 pick falls to #7(?) in first game. I was a little shocked by the margin of victory by ONU over Etta--over 50 points-those things don't usually happen in league play. Is ONU that good or Etta that bad--or a combo of both. Good win by Cap over a very good OWU team on their home deck.  Any thoughts on Wed. night games.  All teams will be in action.

David Collinge

I was shocked to hear that Heidelberg lost to Wilma.  I guess the only time it's safe to say you know what's going on in the OAC is the day after the last game in in the books.