WBB: NESCAC

Started by Senator Frost, March 12, 2005, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Tufts played hard and came back to tie the game late in the half.  In the end, their offense could not keep up.  They represented the Nescac well.  Well done Jumbos!

7express

I know it's mostly Amherst, Bowdoin & Williams fans here, but watch out for Sami Ashton at Conn College the next couple of years.  One of the better scorers I saw in HS this year that could easily be playing at a low-tier D-1 MAAC, Am East or NEC school if she wanted to she was that year.  Brian Williams got a complete steal with her.

ronk

Just attended a major AAU tourney - the DC Junior Nationals in my avocation as unofficial scout for my alma mater(U of Scranton). Had a few exchanges with GP Gromacki, kidding him that he must have hacked my notes since he ended up with more(4) of my 2016 prospects than Scranton(1). He asked for my secret in finding them; I replied that I'd tell him if he told me how to close the deal after finding them. I imagine that the attractiveness of Amherst had a lot to do with the outcomes. We left it at that.
  Later, I came across a young lady wearing the shorts of Loomis-Chaffee where 2 of my 2016 prospects attended. I asked her of the decision of the more prominent prospect(6-4 post/forward) and was told Middlebury. Then asked about the 2nd prospect and found out, after not recognizing her immediatedly(it had been a year and I wasn't expecting to see a graduate at an underclassman event), that it was her and that she was going to Bowdoin.
   So that makes 4 from my list to Amherst, 2 to Middlebury, and 1 each to Bowdoin and Tufts from the NESCAC.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

As a Salisbury grad... I am not sure I can endorse any Loomis-Chaffee grads... just saying. LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

amh63

ronk....glad you are having a nice Summer to date.  Amherst 's coach is an intense  person but is quite socialable when he gets to know you...knows where you are coming from, IMO.  Met him at the 2007 National Tourny in Salem and later at a social function there.  Bump into him when I am up at sporting events at Amherst...when he has family members around...even at football games.
The Nescac should be most interesting this season....two new WBB head coaches....one at Colby who played BB for GP at St. Lawrence.  His present top assistant also played for him at St. Lawrence.

gordonmann

kate

Sure hope that Drew is happy in their "new" league.  One of these days, we have to have a discussion on the merits of starting new leagues.  That would be different from switching leagues for financial, number & types of sports offered and distances having to be travelled. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: kate on July 27, 2016, 06:31:56 PM
Sure hope that Drew is happy in their "new" league.  One of these days, we have to have a discussion on the merits of starting new leagues.  That would be different from switching leagues for financial, number & types of sports offered and distances having to be travelled.

kate - I realize you are still bitter about team splitting away from the MAC, but I have heard no ill thoughts about Drew going to the Landmark and their ten (upcoming) years there. They and others joined the Landmark for good reason in their minds and besides for Merchant Marine, have been quite satisfied with their decision - USMMA is completely different story which is internal rather than external.

Again... this year marks the tenth year of the conference... if it wasn't working, they wouldn't still be there.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

amh63

gordonmann....surprised you did not comment on your alma mater's  hiring a new Head Coach..  My take is that with recent success with the men's team, your AD wanted a similar rise on the women's side.
Seems Trinity is making a major upgrade to its facilities. Now a new large parking garage would raise the fan base! :)

gordonmann

Ha ha.

Yeah, I was about to say that the Clucks hiring an assistant who coached under Stephanie Pemper (former Bowdoin coach) was a really good idea. Then I realized Trinity hired an assistant from Army and Pemper coaches at Navy.

Hopefully it's still a good idea. :)

If they are bulldozing the R-Oost (Ray Oosting Gym), I want a chance to buy a piece of the floor.

amh63

Gordonmann, the major upgrades, new and planned to date are outside....The Coop.  The Roost just had a refurbish of its playing floor.  Amherst had to compete and refurbished  its floor in LeFrak :).
Like the info wrt the Roost.  Been to the Roost a number of times and it is the parking that proves fustrating.  Same thing at Tufts.  Oh those Urban schools :).

kate

Hi Dave!  After all the hype to justify their existence, I think they'd all be embarrassed to say it's not working :)!  Bitter may not be the proper adjective to describe what I thought when Drew & Scranton left our Freedom under the "like-minded" scenario, perhaps pissed & perplexed describes my feelings.  Really just gives me more of a reason to root against them - it's sad that today's students don't understand how much I want to beat a Juniata :)!  Just an example.  Also, said it before, back in the day a Drew fan yelled at me saying that it was hardly the decision of the student athlete to leave.  I know, I should let it go, but I'd still like to dissect this at some point.  Thanks for responding!

gordonmann

AMH:

Yeah, parking stinks at the Roost. They're kind of landlocked in that spot, unless they buy a bunch of property next door for an expansion -- something they did for their hockey arena which is pretty spiffy.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: kate on July 31, 2016, 08:04:49 PM
Hi Dave!  After all the hype to justify their existence, I think they'd all be embarrassed to say it's not working :)!  Bitter may not be the proper adjective to describe what I thought when Drew & Scranton left our Freedom under the "like-minded" scenario, perhaps pissed & perplexed describes my feelings.  Really just gives me more of a reason to root against them - it's sad that today's students don't understand how much I want to beat a Juniata :)!  Just an example.  Also, said it before, back in the day a Drew fan yelled at me saying that it was hardly the decision of the student athlete to leave.  I know, I should let it go, but I'd still like to dissect this at some point.  Thanks for responding!

What do you base it on "not working?" The Landmark may be one of the more competitive women's basketball leagues in the country. Moravian, Elizabethtown (now a member), Scranton, and Catholic have routinely been in the national conversation since the formation of the Landmark... not sure how that means it is isn't working. If anything, Drew is in a more competitive conference now. MAC Freedom usually has a good team or two at the top... and not much else. Not as much depth. Commonwealth has shown years of extremely great competition and has had a team or two at the top of the conversation, but some of those teams wouldn't be in the conversation if the Landmark hadn't been formed.

I have been the first to criticize the Landmark especially in MBB when I am disappointed it isn't as good as I expected, but I do not in any way think it has not worked.