FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDB

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 07, 2015, 09:30:01 PM
I could do something about this thread having gone down the crapper this offseason, but I'm not sure everyone would prefer the method I'd use. :)

We all know you can throw the hammer down anytime you like to protect the brand, Pat.

Personally, I think the past few pages have been pretty harmless.

What's worse, a little back and forth about nothing too serious or 4 months of discussion on who the Whitewater back-up punter is going to be.

OzJohnnie

Little Bobby Turkle from Frog Creek. Bobby, or Lil' B as his grandma called him,  stands only 4'10" and averaged 19.2 yds/punt for the Frog Creek Croakers. He's my pick.

Bobby was also a third string wide out. He wasn't much to look at, certainly not a prince, but had a phenomenal leap and and the stickiest grip you ever saw.
[  

AO

Quote from: OzJohnnie on May 08, 2015, 08:54:59 AM
Little Bobby Turkle from Frog Creek. Bobby, or Lil' B as his grandma called him,  stands only 4'10" and averaged 19.2 yds/punt for the Frog Creek Croakers. He's my pick.

Bobby was also a third string wide out. He wasn't much to look at, certainly not a prince, but had a phenomenal leap and and the stickiest grip you ever saw.
Where is Carl Gerbschmidt's daughter going?  https://twitter.com/TheRealCarlG/status/512434538103185408  all-conference punter from Elk Mound

emma17

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on May 08, 2015, 07:45:01 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 07, 2015, 09:30:01 PM
I could do something about this thread having gone down the crapper this offseason, but I'm not sure everyone would prefer the method I'd use. :)

We all know you can throw the hammer down anytime you like to protect the brand, Pat.

Personally, I think the past few pages have been pretty harmless.

What's worse, a little back and forth about nothing too serious or 4 months of discussion on who the Whitewater back-up punter is going to be.

Thank you BDB- exactly.

emma17

No comments on the two QB's in the pros w ties to tiny Rolling Meadows, IL?
Or Garoppolo being better looking than Brady?
Do I have to troll an argument to get something else going?

IMO there should be limited punishment to the Patriots for deflate gate. Yes they likely broke the rules, thus there should be consequences. However, IMO it's a silly rule to start with. I understand regulating ball size/inflation in youth and HS ball.
Once they hit the pros especially- provide the mandatory NFL ball and let them inflate or deflate to their liking.

What am I missing?

BDB

Quote from: emma17 on May 08, 2015, 11:20:44 AM
What am I missing?

Whatever you are missing is going right over my head too. I don't understand the outrage unless it's an east coast thing. With the majority of national media being based in the east, is there that much disdain for Boston sports in New York/Washington etc. to warrant all this attention?

I say take away a 3rd round pick, fine the team 50k and forget about it, NFL.

bman

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on May 08, 2015, 11:27:59 AM
Quote from: emma17 on May 08, 2015, 11:20:44 AM
What am I missing?

Whatever you are missing is going right over my head too. I don't understand the outrage unless it's an east coast thing. With the majority of national media being based in the east, is there that much disdain for Boston sports in New York/Washington etc. to warrant all this attention?

I say take away a 3rd round pick, fine the team 50k and forget about it, NFL.
New York Media (who know their market despises anything Boston/New England) or any AFC East markets....

jknezek

As someone from NJ and a Dolphins fan I really, really dislike the Patriots. That being said, other than the fact that they broke a minor rule that had no impact on the outcome of the game in question, this isn't a big deal to me. I pretty much assume he's not the only QB to have done this. Smack them on the wrist and be done with it.

The only thing that leads me to say smack them on the nose instead is this is not the first time that organization has been caught skirting the line recently. Of course, they were punished for the last time, which I think was a bigger deal, so I'm not really into piling on. Take away a mid-round draft pick, suspend Brady for half a game, fine them something that doesn't matter, and move on.

ScreamingEagles

Packers fan here like most of you.  I don't really care either way about the Patriots, but I think the whole deflategate thing is overblown.  The Patriots still made the plays to win the game, particularly the game against the Colts that was 45-7.  No amount of PSI in any football is overcoming getting dominated like that. 

It does look like the Patriots violated some league rules in the handling of footballs and all that so there might be some justifiable punishment, but in my mind it doesn't tarnish or diminish what Tom Brady and Belichick have accomplished.  You don't win 4 Super Bowls by letting some air out of the footballs.
UW-La Crosse

bulk19

I don't condone cheating, if that is indeed the case in the Brady incident, but... I'd have to sift through the evidence before convicting him/Pats of breaking a silly little rule...

I find it rather amusing that CNN had a full hour devoted to this silliness last night during prime time, waiting for Brady to confess or spill his guts on the topic, which he adeptly sidestepped during the interview he had on some college campus with Jim Gray, who was by-golly trying to get TB to fess up...

As if a major NEWS network doesn't have other pressing, newsworthy items to cover??? 

The real question is this: How many PSI does little Bobby Turkle from Frog Creek prefer in his footballs?
Never heard of "Frog Creek"  ;), but watch out for them Fall Creek Crickets!

BDB

Quote from: bulk19 on May 08, 2015, 02:46:53 PM
The real question is this: How many PSI does little Bobby Turkle from Frog Creek prefer in his footballs?

I'm sure Oz has never heard of the Wiscy town named Fall Creek, which is located about 40 miles from me, or know that their high school nickname is the "Crickets" which made the "Ballad of Bobby Turkle" and his "Frog Creek Croakers" even funnier.

That and AO's reference to the legend Carl Gerbschmidt of Elk Mound, which is about 10 miles from me, made my day.

bulk19

My editorial comment of the day, since we've broached the subject of cheating here - I'm not going to bog down the baseball boards with it, since those followers are intensely concentrating on playoffs today and this weekend...
MLB all-time home run list is as follows:
1) Aaron 755
2) Ruth 714
3) Mays 660

Brady's minor infraction pales in comparison to what the two others who have been listed on this list did.
There. I am glad I got that off my chest. Ha. 

wally_wabash

Quote from: bulk19 on May 08, 2015, 02:46:53 PM
I don't condone cheating, if that is indeed the case in the Brady incident, but... I'd have to sift through the evidence before convicting him/Pats of breaking a silly little rule...

I find it rather amusing that CNN had a full hour devoted to this silliness last night during prime time, waiting for Brady to confess or spill his guts on the topic, which he adeptly sidestepped during the interview he had on some college campus with Jim Gray, who was by-golly trying to get TB to fess up...

As if a major NEWS network doesn't have other pressing, newsworthy items to cover??? 

Some college campus?  C'mon, man.  That was Salem State University.  #whyD3 

If the condition of the footballs are so damn important, why is the NFL so loose with the chain of custody on the sack of game balls? 

This kind of reminds me of last year's hub-bub in MLB about pitchers using some sort of pine tar/resin goop on their fingers in cold weather.  Most people were all like, "Hey!  That's cheating! Get him!!" and people in the game were all like "um...we kind of all do this and we don't really care so simmer down." 

You're right, b19, the networks were embarrassing over this last night.  This is so much nothing.  The Y2K scare thinks people are overreacting to this. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

bulk19

Oops - missed the name of the "some" school; I was merely monitoring the situation, while tuned to another network.  ;)

One more note, since I'm piddling away my day here...
We probably all have our sports heroes, such as Hank Aaron, but these little kids, and those like them, deserve my admiration, that's for sure...
Oh, and I have a crush on Sara Bareilles. Ha. She and Cyndi Lauper combined their songs to make "Truly Brave," which is dedicated to kids with cancer...

Kind of makes the coverage of Deflategate seem a bit insignificant, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9fMNNsdPjU

emma17

^^
Bulk that was a truly fantastic video posting. Their optimism is contagious -it's already lifted my spirits heading into the weekend.

Happy Mother's Day to all our lady posters as well as our own Moms and special ladies.