Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_wesleyfan

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on November 24, 2008, 07:36:24 PM
By the way, if "B"s didn't get a "C" this year, "B"s will never get a "C".

(Meant to post that like two weeks ago....)

Bob

I think that maybe Salisbury would have gotten a C if they would have had more in region games. I also think that is why Wesley got a no. 7 seed.

Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

Ralph Turner

Pool B for 2008

South Region:

#7 Wesley won at #4 Muhlenberg (Pool A) 20-0
#7 Wesley plays #2 UMHB in the second round.
#8 LaGrange lost at #1 Millsaps 26-51.

North Region

#3 Case Western Reserve lost to #6 Wabash 17-20

Ralph Turner

Pool B for 2008

South Region:

#7 Wesley won at #4 Muhlenberg (Pool A) 20-0
#7 Wesley lost at #2 UMHB 14-46.
#8 LaGrange lost at #1 Millsaps 26-51.

North Region

#3 Case Western Reserve lost to #6 Wabash 17-20

Final Record for Pool B was 1-3.

Hawks88

With Blackburn announcing last week that they are dropping football and now it looks like Principia is doing the same at least for this year(http://www.thetelegraph.com/sports/football_22848___article.html/program_prin.html), what will that do to Pool B? Seems like it was borderline this past year. Does it look like we might drop to two bids for '09?

Ralph Turner

New Pool B teams in 2009 include Castleton State and Anna Marie College.  That may be a wash for those teams in Pool B.

Ralph Turner

I count 29 Pool B teams in 2009.  I think that the Access Ratio is about 8.61 (198 Pool A teams in 23 Pool A conferences in 2008).  That gives us three (3) bids.

ACFC -- a non-Pool A conference (3 teams)
Frostburg
Salisbury
Wesley

South Region Independents (2 teams)
Huntingdon  (Previously an affiliate member of the SLIAC)
LaGrange   (Previously an affiliate member of the SLIAC)   

UAA (4 teams)
Carnegie Mellon
Washington
Chicago
Case Western   

North Atlantic Conference -- a non-Pool A conference (8 teams)
Gallaudet                                    (football affiliate from the Capital AC)
Becker                                        (football affiliate from the NECC)
Husson
Mount Ida                                   (football affiliate from the GNAC)
SUNY-Maritime                             (football affiliate from the SKY)
Anna Marie (new for 2009; football affiliate from the CCC)
Castleton State (new for 2009)
Norwich (coming from the Empire 8 in 2009;  football affiliate from the GNAC)

West Region Independents (2 teams)
Chapman
Macalester 

UMAC (10 teams)
Crown
Martin Luther
Minnesota-Morris
Northwestern (Minn)
St Scholastica 
plus former St Louis IAC affiliates (5 teams)
Eureka
Greenville
MacMurray
Westminster
Principia (out of the SLIAC for 2009, but apparently back in for UMAC in 2009)  

Corrections are appreciated!  (Updated April 16th, 2009).

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Hawks88 on January 28, 2009, 10:48:37 AM
With Blackburn announcing last week that they are dropping football and now it looks like Principia is doing the same at least for this year (http://www.thetelegraph.com/sports/football_22848___article.html/program_prin.html), what will that do to Pool B? Seems like it was borderline this past year. Does it look like we might drop to two bids for '09?
Wow!  Do we call this the "Blackburn Domino"?

-Blackburn drops football.
-Principia reconsiders the success of its football program when one of the less-successful programs in its conference drops the sport, and decides to  suspend the sport.
-The remaining 4 SLIAC schools see how tenuous their position is.
-Pool A status for the SLIAC was projected for fall 2010.  The proverbial goal post just got moved into the future.

I recommend that the SLIAC and the UMAC go back to the table.

The 5-team UMAC and the 4-team SLIAC (plus 2 affilitates) can align along one conference's core.  Declare a divisional champion in single round-robin play.  Play the Dome Day games to declare the conference champion which can be the "Pool A Bid" team after two seasons of this format.  The NEFC has used this for its Pool A bid.  This format preserves the Pool A bid for these schools.  Principia would have a viable conference in which to resume its program.

(In the pipeline for provisional status are these football playing schools: William Jewell MO, Hastings NE, Doane NE and Concordia NE.  Each of these schools is going thru the observational year in 2008-09.  They could be full members in 2013-14.)

PA_wesleyfan

I understand that Wesley will be traveling to Pacific Lutheran this fall. Not that it will help with in region  ratings. But I think it says a lot about how far Coach Drass will travel to get games and you can't get much farther away from Delaware than Washington.
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

Ralph Turner

Whither Pool B--2011   (Updated 16 April 2009  5 May 2009)

There has been tremendous consolidation in D3 to take advantage of the Pool system of playoffs.  The Pools have provided a mechanism for equal access to every D3 Student athlete.  It is not the "Best 32".  That is another debate that has raged for 10 years.  At least a 9-1 Hardin Simmons, whose only loss was to a D2, is no longer staying home as in 1998.

This consolidation into conferences is impacting the Pool B schools.  From published reports and some well-founded speculation, we can imagine where Pool B will be in 2011.  Of course, something bizarre may happen and the 2011 playoffs will no longer resemble the 2005 playoffs.  But let's look at the moves that are occurring by then and assume that these moves are permanent.

North Region:  2 teams Remain in Pool B. 

UAA -- U Chicago and CWRU

Here are the North Region Pool A conference with members in parentheses. CCIW (8 ). HCAC (8 ), NCAC (10), OAC (10) MIAA (7) and the NATHC (8 ).

By 2011, I anticipate 6 Pool A conferences with 51 members in the North Region.  53 Total schools in the North Region

East Region:  6 teams Remain in Pool B.

The Pool A conferences include the MAC (8 ), NEFC (16 teams in 2 divisions), NJAC (10), Liberty League (7) and the ECFC (8 ).

The Empire 8 is down to 6 members now, with the departure of affiliate Norwich to the NAC in 2009.  While this bodes well for getting a Pool B bids, they may have trouble getting games in October.

When the North Atlantic Conference decided to sponsor football, it attracted affiliate programs from the District of Columbia to Vermont.  Joining NAC members Castleton St VT and Husson were affiliates Anna Marie College from the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC), Becker from the New England Collegiate Conference (NECC), Gallaudet from the Capital AC (CAC and the South Region), and Mount Ida and Norwich from the Great Northeast AC (GNAC).  Because the NAC does did not have four core members playing football, the conference is was ineligible to move to Pool A status.  So, the college presidents have formed the Eastern Collegiate Football Conference  (ECFC).  Those 8 Pool B's should be a Pool A conference in 2011.  Maybe they will entice other schools to add football.  (Edit:  5 May 2009).

Here are the East Region Pool A Conferences with the members in Parentheses.  ECFC (8 ), Liberty League (7), MAC (8 ), NJAC (10 ) and NEFC (16).

By 2011, I anticipate 5 Pool A conferences with 49 members in the East Region. 55 teams total in the East Region.

West Region: 3 Remain.

The Upper Midwest AC moves to Pool A with 5 members and 5 affiliates from the Saint Louis IAC.

Here are the West Region Pool A Conferences with members in parentheses:  Iowa IAC (9), Midwest (10 ), Minnesota IAC (9), Northwest Conference (7), SCIAC (7), Upper Midwest AC (10), WIAC (8 ).

By 2011, I anticipate 7 Pool A conferences with 60 members in the West Region and 63 teams total.

The remaining three West Region Pool B schools will be Chapman, MIAC prodigal Macalester and Nebraska Wesleyan, which has not played enough D3 games to qualify for playoff consideration in years.

South Region:  7 Remain.

Here are the South Region Pool A conferences with members in parentheses.  ASC (9), Centennial (8 ), ODAC (7), President AC (9), SCAC (9), USAC (8 ).

By 2011, I anticipate 6 Pool A conferences with 50 members in the South Region.  57 Teams total.

The seven remaining Pool B schools are Wash StL, Carnegie Mellon, Huntingdon, LaGrange, Wesley, Frostburg St and Salisbury.

Eighteen (18) projected teams in Pool B in 2011.

hickory_cornhusker

Going off of Ralph's numbers here is how the bids will be given out.

Pool A - 23
Pool B - 2  (I came up with 2.96)
Pool C - 7

Pat Coleman

By 2011, with Hendrix playing football and potentially Pacific and Villa Julie as well, the margin probably won't be as close to three Pool B bids.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

PA_wesleyfan

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 17, 2009, 05:31:18 PM
By 2011, with Hendrix playing football and potentially Pacific and Villa Julie as well, the margin probably won't be as close to three Pool B bids.

Pat

I know that a few schools in the ACFC are looking forward  to the decision by Steveson's  ;)  in May .  Things colfd shape up for a decent sized football affiliation with Huntington and LaGrange and the Capital schools

Ralph Turner

I understand that the Capital AC requires its members to participate "in conference" for sponsored sports.

If that is correct, then CAC members Gallaudet, Salisbury, Stevenson and Wesley make the four core members.  Frostburg, Huntingdon and LaGrange could be the affiliates.

That would make a Pool A conference.

PA_wesleyfan

The only draw back would be the travel for Huntingdon and LaGrange..  But they were already in that cituation before.
  And you add NNA to the mix and you have at least 7 games taken care of each year.

Ralph Turner

Whither Pool B!  The ECFC?