Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: redswarm81 on October 19, 2008, 12:26:34 AM
Quote from: K-Mack on October 13, 2008, 12:16:18 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 11, 2008, 06:49:18 PM
Pool B update (IMHO):

1)  CWRU now 5-0 after a win over a good Wooster team. (Plays Carnegie Mellon on the Nov 8th and Wash U on the 15th.)

2a)  Salisbury -- 5-1/2-1 Good win over SJF in 4OT 58-52 (non-in-region game tho') Has in-region loss to Del Valley.
2b)   Wesley -- 3-1/2-1 Defeated I-FCS Iona 23-12.  Has in-region loss to Del Valley.  Plays Salisbury on Nov 1st.  For whom do Huntingdon & LaGrange root?

3a) Huntingdon -- 5-0/4-0. Defeated Eureka 62-0.  Plays at Westminster on Oct 25th, hosts H-SC on Nov 8th and at LaGrange on Nov 15th.  Great schedule remains to show the committee something.
3b) LaGrange -- 5-1/4-0.  Westminster on Oct 18th.  Hosts Huntingdon on Nov 15th

CWRU despite the weak schedule is a lock if undefeated.

Wesley and Salisbury have big problems with the non-division and out-of-region games, coupled with the in-region losses to DV and the h2h game coming up. The loser could be sitting on something like a 4-2 regional record ... might be tough to compare with an 8-2 in Pool C.

The SLIAC looks like it's basically getting its automatic bid a year early, as the problems above, coupled with the probability of one of the two Deep South teams finishing with one loss (or possibly undefeated), makes them a pretty good shot at another spot.

Where does Husson fit in, if they win their last two games to finish 7-0 v. D-III competition?
I think that their OWP/OOWP slots them about 4th or 5th.  Playing Utica and Springfield from the E8 helps the OOWP, but the NAC teams* do not give a good OOWP to Husson.  I guess they go on the watch list with Northwestern.  The Northwestern win over UW-River Falls got a little bit better yesterday as UWRF beat #7 UW-Eau Claire.

(*SLIAC is not much stronger as a conference.)

Ralph Turner

Pool B update for Week #7

1)  CWRU beat Ohio Wesleyan 35-7;  plays at Hiram next.

2a) Salisbury beat lake Erie 35-19; plays at Becker next.
2b) Wesley beat NNA 48-0; plays at Webber International.

3a) Huntingdon beat Blackburn 45-0;  plays at Westminster MO.
3b) LaGrange beat Westminster MO 37-20; plays at Principia.

On the radar...

Northwestern MN (6-1/6-1 in-region)  beat 35-14 St Scholastica; plays at MN-Morris.

Husson (5-2/5-0 in-region); Plays (in-region) Gallaudet next Saturday.

d-train

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 19, 2008, 01:47:21 PM
Pool B update for Week #7

1)  CWRU beat Ohio Wesleyan 35-7;  plays at Hiram next.

2a) Salisbury beat lake Erie 35-19; plays at Becker next.
2b) Wesley beat NNA 48-0; plays at Webber International.

3a) Huntingdon beat Blackburn 45-0;  plays at Westminster MO.
3b) LaGrange beat Westminster MO 37-20; plays at Principia.

On the radar...

Northwestern MN (6-1/6-1 in-region)  beat 35-14 St Scholastica; plays at MN-Morris.

Husson (5-2/5-0 in-region); Plays (in-region) Gallaudet next Saturday.

...and darkhorse Chapman lost their second in-region game.

K-Mack

Quote from: KitchenSink on October 16, 2008, 02:41:58 PM
Quote from: jam40jeff on October 16, 2008, 01:48:07 PM
How do you + or - karma anyways?

Once you accumulate enough posts, and send an appropriate stack of cash to Keith and Pat, you get to karma posters.

I'm supposed to be getting stacks of cash!?!?!

I gotta start opening my mail.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

DutchFan2004

Quote from: K-Mack on October 19, 2008, 09:04:37 PM
Quote from: KitchenSink on October 16, 2008, 02:41:58 PM
Quote from: jam40jeff on October 16, 2008, 01:48:07 PM
How do you + or - karma anyways?

Once you accumulate enough posts, and send an appropriate stack of cash to Keith and Pat, you get to karma posters.

I'm supposed to be getting stacks of cash!?!?!

I gotta start opening my mail.

No more mail for you from me.  If you don't open it you can't find your money.   ;D ;D ;D
Play with Passion  Coach Ron Schipper

Ralph Turner

No change in Pool B.

Everybody won.  Next weekend, Salisbury hosts Wesley.

muledaddy

Mates,

What are the odds that only 1 of the Salisbury-Wesley duo get  a playoff bid, rather than both like last

year?

PA_wesleyfan

Not much of a chance they both get in
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

ADL70

Depends on what the other Pool B contenders do.  If CWRU loses to both CMU and WUStL (heaven forbid) and Salisbury and Wesley win their other games they probably would. 
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

PA_wesleyfan

Salisbury could possibly with two losses because of their schedule, but a Wesley loss would leave them at no better than 3-2 in region . Del Vals misfortunes of late don't help either team
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

The Forgotten Man

Suppose Huntingdon and LaGrange win out until they play one another on November 15th and the game is a good one and very close on the 15th.

If LC wins do you think HC still gets a bid as a 9-1 runner-up but with a win over Hampden-Sydney?

What if HC wins the showdown--does LC have a chance for a bid at 8-1?

What would an HC loss at H-S do to the equation? (Don't worry HC, I'm pulling for you guys to win that one  8).)
"The soldier, above all others, prays for peace, for it is he who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."
Douglas MacArthur, General, U.S. Army, (1880-1964)

Ralph Turner

Please remember that there are only 6 Pool C bids.  HSU probably has this region sewn up for one of the bids.

The Opponents' opponents' winning percentage from the SLIAC is weak.

redswarm81

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 27, 2008, 05:10:31 PM
Please remember that there are only 6 Pool C bids.  HSU probably has this region sewn up for one of the bids.

The Opponents' opponents' winning percentage from the SLIAC is weak.

Boy, that simple clause "not in priority order" really makes Selection a black box, doesn't it?
Irritating SAT-lagging Union undergrads and alums since 1977

Pat Coleman

I don't think La Grange has a chance if it loses to Huntingdon.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

K-Mack

Quote from: PA_wesleyfan on October 26, 2008, 09:40:35 PM
Salisbury could possibly with two losses because of their schedule, but a Wesley loss would leave them at no better than 3-2 in region . Del Vals misfortunes of late don't help either team

I agree, although this one might really be at the committee's discretion. Wesley had a key in-region game with CNU canceled by weather, and both teams, through no fault of their own really, have had to schedule anyone they could get their hands on, which means about six in-region games for both.

I think most of what's been said here is on point, that it depends on the rest of Pool B, but that it doesn't look good for the loser.

Certainly Del Val winning the MAC and SJF winning the E8 and CNU winning the USAC wouldn't hurt Salisbury.

It's a pretty good bet either Wesley or Salisbury would beat the SLIAC winner, and possibly Case, but that's not how this playoff thing works, is it?
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.