FB: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

umhb2001

Quote from: crufootball on October 12, 2016, 11:35:08 AM
Quote from: Royal85 on October 12, 2016, 09:20:25 AM
Great article on TLU's Danny Padron.  He indicates that this could be his last season.  What a job he and his staff have done in the time they have been there.  I hope the team plays with spirit and inspiration for the rest of this season in honor of their head coach and secures the final SCAC championship.  A good, humble, faithful coach who does it the right way and is doing it for the right reasons.  Good luck this week to TLU.

http://d3football.com/columns/around-the-region/south/2016/TLU-first-win-is-historic-one

Coach Padron has done a fine job of building that program, any guesses or hopes for his replacement?

I've heard some rumors but can't speak on specifics at this time.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Ron Boerger on October 09, 2016, 11:34:31 PM
The injury to McDowell didn't look as serious as the one Grauer suffered, but hopefully they're both back for the rematch.   A greatly improved Southwestern might have something to say about that conference championship, too.

Welp.

Austin Grauer was in a soft cast (ankle).
Evan McDowell was in a wheelchair.

Southwestern dominated in every way possible in shutting Trinity out 48-0, the first time Trinity was shut out in the regular season in 20+ years.   The last time they were shut out was their first NCAA playoff appearance against W&J in 1994, another game I had the pleasure (?) of witnessing in person.   Next week's TLU-SW game in Georgetown should be a barnburner. 

jekelish

I have absolutely no idea how the standings are going to wind up shaking out. AC certainly played well enough to beat TLU but the offense stalled out in some key situations (driving inside the 10 twice and settling for field goals), and still, an interception with a minute left may very well have been the difference (if that's a completion, AC is on the 20 with timeouts and a 1st down... c'est la vie!).

Should be a very interesting game in Sherman this weekend against Trinity. I wonder how many would have predicted that at this point, Southwestern looks like the frontrunner for the SCAC championship?

jekelish

Not sure I've ever seen anything quite like that special teams performance by Trinity.

33.0 YPR on kickoffs
22.7 YPR on punts
1 recovered onside kick
47 yard field goal (only attempt of the game)
2 blocked punts, BOTH returned for touchdowns (by the same guy, no less)

Coolrey

Southwestern has shown that the foundation of the first 3 years has taken hold and the program is now competitive with rest of the majority of Texas teams.  TLU is down a bit but is still in the title hunt.  Not sure what the procedure would be in determining a conference champion if TLU and SW end the season with identical conference records unless they just crown them co-champs. TLU's kick coverage has always been shaky at best and it again cost them in its game vs. SW. Big game this week vs. Trinity.

TOOLIVEU

Padron has done a wonderful job with the TLU program. He really established a culture there. My hope is if he retires that they would call his son and try and get hime to come back. However, I don't think that will happen with him taking the BG job this past year. I could also see them staying in house and going with Harris. He is the Assistant Head Coach and he knows what he is doing recruiting. Whoever gets it will have a really young and athletic team. TLU has always ahd a problem of keeping guys in the secondary.

Coolrey

Coach Padron has done a great job at TLU.  The focus of the program right now I'm sure is getting a 2nd win against Trinity and then make the final push toward the rematch with SW.  The discussion of what the next step will be should begin after the final game.  Andy Padron I'm sure is focused on his job right now as BGSU is in the midst of a struggle.  TLU's secondary lost some key players who were multi-year starters and it is pretty much a new group this year.  If they stick with it, they will grow into a solid group for next few years.

scaccommish

To celebrate 55 years of College Athletic Conference/Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference football, the league office is releasing the top players and moments for each current conference member, culminating with the release of the all-time CAC/SCAC football team.

Last Friday, we highlighted Southwestern University (sorry, I missed adding this link last week):

http://scacsports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/southwestern_moments_players

And this Friday, its Texas Lutheran University:

http://scacsports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/texas_lutheran_moments_players

Ralph Turner

Quote from: scaccommish on October 28, 2016, 06:15:07 PM
To celebrate 55 years of College Athletic Conference/Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference football, the league office is releasing the top players and moments for each current conference member, culminating with the release of the all-time CAC/SCAC football team.

Last Friday, we highlighted Southwestern University (sorry, I missed adding this link last week):

http://scacsports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/southwestern_moments_players

And this Friday, its Texas Lutheran University:

http://scacsports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/texas_lutheran_moments_players
Thanks and +1!

In my wildest hopes, scaccommish, a few  years ago, I had hoped that at least 2 more SCAC teams (e.g., Centenary UDallas and/or Schreiner) would have added football.

Shucks, I would not have minded your stealing a "football-playing" Concordia Texas to give us TWO Pool A conferences in this part of the country! 

Ron Boerger

Interesting game today in San Antonio.    In the first half TLU pretty much had everything going their way but had to settle for a couple of FGs (including a 47-yarder) as they went into the half with a 20-7 lead.    Trinity came out and got a quick score, but TLU responded and it looked like the Tigers were going to go winless against TLU in the SCAC era, but the defense stiffened markedly, holding the Bulldogs to a couple of three-and-outs while the offense found a groove as Davis King and Justin Ventura took turns driving the team downfield for TD, the last coming with 7:22 remaining.   TLU would get the ball back several times but could not generate a first down.

Seemed like TLU got more conservative with their play calling after their score in the third with very little going downfield, some of which could have been a result of improved coverage by Trinity.   That allowed the Tiger defense to focus on Marcus Barolle, who was held under 50 yards rushing (and a similar amount receiving) on the day.   TLU game story says TU held the Bulldogs to ~75 yards in the second half.

Been a tough year for Trinity with injuries so happy to see them pull one out on a very warm late October afternoon.

Ron Boerger

The other thing about yesterday's results is that Southwestern has clinched at least a tie for the final SCAC championship with two games to play.  One win, or one loss by both TLU/TU, will give them the outright championship.   

SW 4-0   v TU @ TLU
TLU 2-2   v AC v TLU
Trinity 2-2  @ SW v AC
AC 0-4 @TLU @TU

scaccommish

Today, its the final installment with the current membership as we take a look at the top players and moments for Trinity University:

http://scacsports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/trinity_moments_players

jekelish

Wow, what a performance by Austin College, going on the road and beating Texas Lutheran with a guy who last week was the 5th string QB. And at the same time, the 'Roos may have found their QB of the future...the freshman had himself a game. Nearly 300 yards of total offense and four touchdowns.

This team needed that victory, badly.

Ron Boerger

Congrats to AC!   Looking forward to seeing them in SA next week.

Trinity played a much better game at Southwestern this week, especially on defense, but the offense again struggled to get anything going in a 20-7 loss.   At least the Pirates, who clinched the final SCAC championship, didn't set a bunch of all-time conference records this time around.    Congratulations to the Pirates who have come a very long way in a short period of time.

DFWCrufan

Congratulations to Southwestern... 2017 Season... Welcome to the ASC....
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018