MBB: Upper Midwest Athletic Conference

Started by bethelguy, October 04, 2004, 02:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3bballfollower

Scholastica has a home game November 28th against UW Eau Claire...the BluGolds will be tougher this year than some might expect and a good test for the Saints...after Christmas they play 3 in Cali...the games against Whittier and Occidental will be tough and should show where they stand going into the second half of the season...

Morris plays at St. John's on November 17th and then hosts Bethel on the 20th...these will be good indicator games to see where the Cougars are at

I see in Morris's preview it says they lost McNally, even though he was listed as a junior last year...can anyone elaborate on this situation?
"A true champion is someone bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is looking."

Hoopology101

Former Player, what team did you play for? have you read some of the recent topics that we have been talking about on here?  it is great to have more people discuss UMAC bball,  to talk about your ranking I agree on a lot of things.  The Crown situation last year was horrible for the coaching staff they had to play with a jv team because the former coaches at Crown never recruited, so Crown was ok with Kinkade, and Hale, but they have some new recruits that shuld help so we will see about that situation. Scolastica now looses Maupins which was a great player, but also there 2nd leading scorer which was a really good shooter also is gone, it is true that they have their point guard back that had an injury last year, but we all know that he will not have any scores to pass to so it might end up like how Crown was with Hale having no one to pass to last year and teams jumping on the only scorer Kincade.  I think that Morris needs to step up they under achevied last year, so I think they will play big this year. Morris also has a new assitant coach that is really good and they already have a great head coach so I look for those two to get that team into some shape. 
Players are made during the off season, and teams are formed in the winter by the coaches.

Gregory Sager

Why does this conference have two discussion rooms?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 18, 2007, 01:00:23 AM
Why does this conference have two discussion rooms?
I think former UMAC player just started it.

I will merge it into the other one.

Welcome formerUMACplayer!  ;)

formerUMACplayer

Quote from: Hoopology101 on October 17, 2007, 02:19:46 PM
Former Player, what team did you play for? have you read some of the recent topics that we have been talking about on here?  it is great to have more people discuss UMAC bball,  to talk about your ranking I agree on a lot of things.  The Crown situation last year was horrible for the coaching staff they had to play with a jv team because the former coaches at Crown never recruited, so Crown was ok with Kinkade, and Hale, but they have some new recruits that shuld help so we will see about that situation. Scolastica now looses Maupins which was a great player, but also there 2nd leading scorer which was a really good shooter also is gone, it is true that they have their point guard back that had an injury last year, but we all know that he will not have any scores to pass to so it might end up like how Crown was with Hale having no one to pass to last year and teams jumping on the only scorer Kincade.  I think that Morris needs to step up they under achevied last year, so I think they will play big this year. Morris also has a new assitant coach that is really good and they already have a great head coach so I look for those two to get that team into some shape. 
Hey Hoops,
The point guard from Scholastica is more of a scoring point guard so he can carry the load and also make it happen for others. Hale from Crown is more of a traditional point guard and looks to pass first and really doesn't look to score (from what I've seen). Hoops I also see you said Crown has some new players coming in-do you think it will really help the situation (they were 0-14 in conference last season)? The talk of the UMAC should be focused on can Northwestern run the table or can Bethany Lutheran take the top spot this season. It's a three team race between Northwestern, Bethany and St. Scholastica...Minnesota Morris and Presentation will fight for 4th place...The UMAC has three solid teams right now and two that might step up to make it five.

Hoopology101

I hear what you are saying about a scoring point guard he might be able to carry some of  the load but lets not hype the situation yet, you do loose a huge player that plays in the cba now and he single handling carried the team last year, this point guard might be good but no maupins, plus they lost a great shooter.  But they do bring in a 6'9 post player from superior the height sounds nice but does anyone know if he can play? that is huge for them.  Now Crown you are right Hale looks to pass first, sometimes to much but this year they have no choice but to get better, they brought some athletic guys in that will be able to pressure the ball on D pretty good. I do believe that it is a 2 team race for 1st and 2nd with Bethany and NW, NW being number 1, but 3rd and 4th place is wide open.  The UMAC is more even this year with all the teams, so look to see some good games.
Players are made during the off season, and teams are formed in the winter by the coaches.

Matt Carroll

1) Northwestern - Josh Strelecki (sp?), Discher, Zuelger, and Hanson Bros are going to be way too much to handle for UMAC teams.  I see them maybe losing 1 or 2 conference games.  They have 5 UMAC POY's basically on their team.

2) St. Scholastica - Retrun Brady Zubke (10 ppg), Eric Langdon (8 ppg), Jesse Taylor, Nate Griff, and the Schmittz bros.  They should be very solid this year.  They will be a bit bigger with the new recruit from UW-S (6'9) and Zubke who is 6'6.

3) UM-Morris - Return Phil Allen (9 ppg), Eric Dalbey (8 ppg), Corey Kelzenberg, Hudson Brothen, and it says that Will Jenson is on their meet the team so he must be playing again this year.  He ave 10 ppg and 5 rpg two years ago but sat out last year.

4) Bethany Lutheran - They return Dewan Grant (who didnt play as well last year, but expect huge numbers from this year), Travis Priem (hon mention all conference), and Andy Mills (transfer from a D2 school).  This team should be solid, Morris and BLU are inter-changeable.

5) Northland College - Return Jordan Arneson (believe he was hon mention all conference), Dylan Ring, and Ryan Cannata.  I think they are going to suprise some people and take 5 or 6.

6) Presentation College - They return a few players who didnt have much significance on last years team but can step up for this years squad.  I havent seen their recruits, but it seems like they always get a few decent recruits. 

7) Crown College - Hale and Kirkpatrick anchor their offense (hopefully Hale can look to score a bit more), heard they got some more recruits...so hopefully they can step up.  Kind of a question mark team.

8) Martin Luther College - they lose basically their whole team that made the tourney appearance last year.  Unless they get some recruits, they are going to have a sub-par year.

d3bballfollower

matt-  i like most of your insight on the upcoming year, but there is one team's explanation i will have to respectfully disagree with you on...that is Presentation...to say and I quote "they return a few player who didn't have much significance on last years team but can step up for this years squad"...they return 3 guys (Heim, Ward and Kurtz) who combined started a total of 50 games and averaged 26.5 ppg and 15.1 rpg...Heim was the Saint's leading scorer at 10.3 a game and Ward was the conference Newcomer of the Year after averaging 8.9 ppg and 7.1 rpg...those 3 guys were 3 of the teams top 4 scorers...I think that is pretty significant, don't you?

On another note, I really like your take on Northland, they could definitely upset a few teams, especially if overlooked...
"A true champion is someone bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is looking."

formerUMACplayer

Quote from: Hoopology101 on October 18, 2007, 08:17:54 PM
I hear what you are saying about a scoring point guard he might be able to carry some of  the load but lets not hype the situation yet, you do loose a huge player that plays in the cba now and he single handling carried the team last year, this point guard might be good but no maupins, plus they lost a great shooter.  But they do bring in a 6'9 post player from superior the height sounds nice but does anyone know if he can play? that is huge for them.  Now Crown you are right Hale looks to pass first, sometimes to much but this year they have no choice but to get better, they brought some athletic guys in that will be able to pressure the ball on D pretty good. I do believe that it is a 2 team race for 1st and 2nd with Bethany and NW, NW being number 1, but 3rd and 4th place is wide open.  The UMAC is more even this year with all the teams, so look to see some good games.
Hoops,
Come on to say 3rd and 4th place are open is a joke...count Crown, Northland and Martin Luther out of it...meaning 5 teams will battle for four spots/my fault 4 teams will battle for 3 spots cause Northwestern is automatically in...The PG from Scholastica can carry the load on the offensive end for sure...I saw him hang 33 points on Northwestern so lets be real...The 6'9 kid from Superior can play he just didn't get a chance because they were so deep in the front court (he will be an impact player this season for sure) who do you think are the top two players at each position in the UMAC conference (PG, SG, SF, PF and C)?

Hoopology101

Quote from: d3bballfollower on October 19, 2007, 01:09:24 AM
matt-  i like most of your insight on the upcoming year, but there is one team's explanation i will have to respectfully disagree with you on...that is Presentation...to say and I quote "they return a few player who didn't have much significance on last years team but can step up for this years squad"...they return 3 guys (Heim, Ward and Kurtz) who combined started a total of 50 games and averaged 26.5 ppg and 15.1 rpg...Heim was the Saint's leading scorer at 10.3 a game and Ward was the conference Newcomer of the Year after averaging 8.9 ppg and 7.1 rpg...those 3 guys were 3 of the teams top 4 scorers...I think that is pretty significant, don't you?

On another note, I really like your take on Northland, they could definitely upset a few teams, especially if overlooked...
Quote from: d3bballfollower on October 19, 2007, 01:09:24 AM

D3Baller I like how you stand up for your boys team, you are right they are returning players that played a lot last year and have that experience.  This is why I keep saying the confrence is close this year.  I see a lot of games going either way.  Also I see someone keeps talking about this point guard that was hurt last year from scholastica? So are you saying he will avg 25pts a game? just wondering and who cares if he scored 33 points agaist NW one time? just like when i saw Hale kill Maupins last year at Crown for 20 and was breaking him off all over the court! He coundn't even stay in front of him.  So I'm going to stick up for Crown like D3 baller sticks up for presentation.  My reason is this they return 2 guards with a lot of experience Kincade, Hale, then they brought in some junior college players that are athletic so that means instant impact.  When looking at rosters alone NW and Presentation are returning a lot, It is going to be a great year in UMAC play I'm getting too hyped right now! lol.  Let me make myself clear I'm not saying that the guard from Scholastica is not good, he probally is good and is going to have a good year, but all I'm saying he is no Maupins and I think everyone can agree on that.  Good player yeah but not na single handed killer like Maupins.

Hoopology101

FormerUmacPlayer   What School did you play for?  You never answered this question.

d3bballfollower

top 2 players at each spot in the UMAC (from what I have seen)...

PG-  1. Zuleger- the epitomy of a pg, handles the ball, plays D and see the floor and passes exceptionally well
        2. Hale- should have a break out year this year, similar to the Z man
SG-  1. Discher- shoots lights out and plays smart
        2. undecided
SF-   1. Strelecki- tough competitor who can play multiple spots
        2. Langdon- should play a huge role for Scholastica this year
PF-   1. Daniel Hanson-  no one can match up with him on both ends of the floor
        2. Richie Ward-  look for a break out year for ward, maybe a double double average
C-     don't really know...I wouldn't say that there is a good center in the leage...anyone have other thoughts on this?

Hoopology101

Quote from: d3bballfollower on October 19, 2007, 02:55:48 PM
top 2 players at each spot in the UMAC (from what I have seen)...

PG-  1. Zuleger- the epitomy of a pg, handles the ball, plays D and see the floor and passes exceptionally well
        2. Hale- should have a break out year this year, similar to the Z man
SG-  1. Discher- shoots lights out and plays smart
        2. undecided
SF-   1. Strelecki- tough competitor who can play multiple spots
        2. Langdon- should play a huge role for Scholastica this year
PF-   1. Daniel Hanson-  no one can match up with him on both ends of the floor
        2. Richie Ward-  look for a break out year for ward, maybe a double double average
C-     don't really know...I wouldn't say that there is a good center in the leage...anyone have other thoughts on this?

I agree with what you posted, I have one question, who is Zuleger and what team does he play for? Also I believe Hale will have a great season this year also.  As far as a center I'm thinking the 6'9 transfer might be able to take over? but we will see we all know how height is not enough to make an impact.  I agree Hanson will have a great senior season along side his athletic brother that can jump out the gym, I look for both of them to take over.  Steliki is also a tough guard because he can play diffrent spots and he has a nice bounce to his game.

d3bballfollower

Zuleger runs the point for NWC...imagine this starting lineup for the Eagles...

PG- Zuleger
SG- Discher
SF- Strelecki
PF- Hanson
C- Anderstrom

or

PG- Zuleger
G- Discher
G- Strelecki
F- Steven Hanson
F- Daniel Hanson

with former Centennial Cougars Berens and Gonsior offethe bench along with any other new recruits...

YIKES!!!  UMAC watch out!

Hoopology101

They have a nice team this year everyone is returning.  I actually watched thme play this past summer in the summer league games and they looked nice.  Recruit wise they are kind of slim they really didnt get much and the one guy they had playing with them is ok, he will be better in the future, but they have a solid7 players.  It will be interesting to see if they start lil Hanson?