World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

Quote from: Flying Weasel on April 04, 2018, 07:11:01 PM
Wow! . . . just, WOW!  Great day to be a Red!  Couldn't have wished for anything more.  3-goal lead without conceding an away goal.

All-action performance. That pace going forward was unreal, and they are starting to look the part defensively. Van Dijk and Salah have been the marquee signings this season, but Robertson has been my favorite: great energy and workrate, good going forward, and doesn't get caught out defensively like Moreno, even with the latter's improvement early this season.

Quote from: truenorth on April 05, 2018, 08:35:23 AM
Yes, I was delighted to see this Liverpool performance!  I was streaming the game live on fubo.tv while on a cross country flight, and the reception sucked, but I was able to follow the action for the most part.  If they're able to score even one goal in the rematch at the Etihad, they should be in good shape...but as we know anything can happen...

I missed the first goal because of a bad stream (watching on my mobile at work), but saw the second and third. Second was a "blooter," as one might say. ;)

jknezek

Quote from: blooter442 on April 05, 2018, 10:33:12 AM
Quote from: jknezek on April 05, 2018, 09:35:26 AM
Not a Ronaldo or Real Madrid fan but his bicycle goal the other day was a beautiful bit of soccer and just pure athleticism. Credit where it is due for that one.

Agreed. I've not watched a lot of Ronaldo since he left England, so -- prior to watching the game -- based on his move from the wing into the penalty box, I had thought of him as having turned into a goal-hanger. That being said, I saw that, despite playing more centrally, he is much more than just a tap-in merchant -- his movement for the first was top class, as was the finish. The second, however, was unbelievable.

Yes. He is a very complete player but I find him incredibly unlikable so I tend to try and discount how good he is. I think he does a lot of goal hanging against much of the La Liga competition because there are only 4 teams in that league that are worth Real Madrid's attention. He can just hang out at the top center and put in easy goals against over matched opponents, occasionally becoming interested enough to flash some serious skills or flashing them because he hasn't gotten enough press lately. But when he needs to play, he certainly can and does. A very rare talent on the field when he wants to be, but to me an annoying pretty boy off of it.

blooter442

Quote from: jknezek on April 05, 2018, 10:58:01 AM
Yes. He is a very complete player but I find him incredibly unlikable so I tend to try and discount how good he is. I think he does a lot of goal hanging against much of the La Liga competition because there are only 4 teams in that league that are worth Real Madrid's attention. He can just hang out at the top center and put in easy goals against over matched opponents, occasionally becoming interested enough to flash some serious skills or flashing them because he hasn't gotten enough press lately. But when he needs to play, he certainly can and does. A very rare talent on the field when he wants to be, but to me an annoying pretty boy off of it.

Oh yeah, he's absolutely a primadonna and it's frustrating when he seems more focused on himself rather than the team (not celebrating with Arbeloa when the latter scored ahead of him a few years ago). I think you said it right that he certainly can play when he wants to but has moved infield and further up top. Incidentally, my dislike for Ronaldo as a person makes me appreciate Messi that much more. However, I have to recognize that the former is an unbelievable talent as well.

Mr.Right

Quote from: blooter442 on April 05, 2018, 11:24:16 AM
Quote from: jknezek on April 05, 2018, 10:58:01 AM

Oh yeah, he's absolutely a primadonna and it's frustrating when he seems more focused on himself rather than the team (not celebrating with Arbeloa when the latter scored ahead of him a few years ago). I think you said it right that he certainly can play when he wants to but has moved infield and further up top. Incidentally, my dislike for Ronaldo as a person makes me appreciate Messi that much more. However, I have to recognize that the former is an unbelievable talent as well.

Bloots,

What are we thinking for tomorrow's(today's) match at Man City. I thought Klopper absolutely outcoached Pep last week. Flat out dusted him. What is the gameplan? Man City a goal and a half favorite with the goal total O/U being 3 1/2..I cannot wait and am debating banging out of work tomorrow to watch it..If the Reds play like they did last week they could win the Champions League. A Final 4 of Bayern, Real Madrid, Liverpool and Barcelona is real tasty.

blooter442

Quote from: Mr.Right on April 10, 2018, 12:45:11 AM
Bloots,

What are we thinking for tomorrow's(today's) match at Man City. I thought Klopper absolutely outcoached Pep last week. Flat out dusted him. What is the gameplan? Man City a goal and a half favorite with the goal total O/U being 3 1/2..I cannot wait and am debating banging out of work tomorrow to watch it..If the Reds play like they did last week they could win the Champions League. A Final 4 of Bayern, Real Madrid, Liverpool and Barcelona is real tasty.

I think they go and try to get one and kill the tie. If City get one early, which I think they could, things could get very interesting. It reminds me a lot of the Europa League tie against Manchester United two years ago when Liverpool won the first game 2-0 at home but knew they couldn't just defend at Old Trafford. United got one early and made things interesting, had a few chances to go up two, but then Coutinho killed the tie with his outrageous chip over De Gea just before halftime. This time it's one more goal in terms of the difference, but a similar situation in terms of winning and keeping a clean sheet in the first leg and having to go attack second leg. I could see City scoring first and Liverpool getting the equalizer but if City get two they are in big trouble. Still, while they are getting better at seeing out games and getting points in scrappy situations (being on the ropes against Everton at the weekend but getting out with the point), I don't think they are totally comfortable playing any other way but at 100 mph. All that in mind, I think they go for it. You are right that Klopp got his tactics spot on, they came out really hard, and I think City were also in awe of the European night atmosphere at Anfield and perhaps were rattled from the bus attack (behavior which was totally unacceptable). As far as Anfield goes, that is a stadium where (even with the recent Main Stand construction) the fans are right up next to the pitch, it's narrow, and it's loud. I've been there twice for afternoon Premier League games and the atmosphere is rocking then, so I can't imagine what it might be like on European nights. It certainly seems intense from all the games I've seen on television.

That being said for all of the awful defending early in the season I think they have shored up at the back recently. Not saying they are a great defensive side by any means but they aren't pulling a Lovren at Spurs every week. Van Dijk is the leader they have needed for a while and Robertson is my favorite signing of the year, he gives 100% and like I've said before doesn't get caught out like Moreno did defensively (even with Moreno's improvement this year he still has the rash side of his game). Trent A-A rebounded after a couple of bad performances with a great job on Sterling last week and while it'll be tough to go again tomorrow I think he'll take a lot of confidence from that.

Lovren (much like Moreno and Mignolet) has angered me too many times over the years with his incompetence but he is actually a half-decent defender when he plays next to a leader like van Dijk and has looked OK recently bar his awful performance at OT -- he really needs to stop doing interviews where he talks about how he's coming into good form because then he always has a mare. Just shut up Dejan. Anyway he is actually not a bad defender but is just a terrible leader. A similar player was Skrtel. If you remember from the late 2000s and early 2010s Skrtel was actually a half-decent defender when playing next to a leader like Carragher or Hyypia. It was only the season after Carra retired when he started being absolutely awful (I used to call him Martin Shirtpull) because he had to lead the back line and had absolutely no clue what he was doing.

While I am a pretty pragmatic (some may say pessimistic) person, I seem to feel like the Reds can score every time I watch them go forward. That's not to say they will, or that they do, but they attack with such pace and their interplay is so good. I'd hate to be defending against it.

truenorth

I think that Blooter's observations are generally spot on.  This will obviously be a different match in moving from Anfield to the Etihad.  Man City is wounded after being dominated by Liverpool a week ago and then coughing up a two goal half-time lead at home to United in the derby, and they are going to be up for a very energetic performance.

Liverpool shouldn't (and frankly can't) do anything other than play their own game...counterpress from the start and look to score the first goal.  Even if City scores first, Liverpool needs to try and get back on the front foot and NOT go into a defensive shell that doesn't suit their abilities.  One worry is that Henderson will be missing and Wijnaldum comes into the midfield, but I still think it will be unlikely that City scores 3 unanswered goals and/or doesn't give up at least one to Liverpool.

1970s NESCAC Player

Things could depend a lot on whether Salah is able to play.

blooter442

Quote from: 1970s NESCAC Player on April 10, 2018, 09:26:44 AM
Things could depend a lot on whether Salah is able to play.

He trained Monday so I am guessing he has at least a 50% shot. That being said, still not certain, and I imagine Klopp wants to keep City in the dark as long as possible.

Flying Weasel

So, those of you who are also pulling for Liverpool, are you (a) glad that ManCity lost to ManUtd on the weekend to further dent their confidence, especially on the defensive side, or (b) wish they had beat ManUtd and clinched the league so they weren't a wounded (and angry) dog feeling they have something to prove and all fired up to make up for back-to-back disappointing performances?  Contrary to most opinions I've come across on the internet, I have to go with (b).  Ohh, well, it is what it is.  Just hope the Liverpool we see defensively this afternoon is the recent one not the one from last fall.  Liverpool can't let ManCity put up a couple first half goals in quick succession and grab all the momentum and confidence.  I will not be leaving work to watch it even if I could as every time this season that I have left work to watch a game in a pub, the goals have dried up.  I just follow match-tracker which seems to produce better results!

blooter442

Quote from: Flying Weasel on April 10, 2018, 11:07:24 AM
So, those of you who are also pulling for Liverpool, are you (a) glad that ManCity lost to ManUtd on the weekend to further dent their confidence, especially on the defensive side, or (b) wish they had beat ManUtd and clinched the league so they weren't a wounded (and angry) dog feeling they have something to prove and all fired up to make up for back-to-back disappointing performances?  Contrary to most opinions I've come across on the internet, I have to go with (b).  Ohh, well, it is what it is.  Just hope the Liverpool we see defensively this afternoon is the recent one not the one from last fall.  Liverpool can't let ManCity put up a couple first half goals in quick succession and grab all the momentum and confidence.  I will not be leaving work to watch it even if I could as every time this season that I have left work to watch a game in a pub, the goals have dried up.  I just follow match-tracker which seems to produce better results!

Interesting question. At the time of the match I was in the B camp, mostly because I might have enjoyed seeing the spectacle of City celebrating the trophy in front of United, although I would argue that the 2012 title win (even if United wasn't there) was more dramatic and elating for City fans. However, at this point, I think I'm in the A camp, as their defensive frailties were further exposed. Of course, I think they will come out a wounded animal, but I think Klopp (and other Liverpool folks) will have been heartened by that defensive display.

blooter442

Quote from: Flying Weasel on April 10, 2018, 11:07:24 AM
I will not be leaving work to watch it even if I could as every time this season that I have left work to watch a game in a pub, the goals have dried up.  I just follow match-tracker which seems to produce better results!

I usually just grab a conference room and watch on my phone (as to not leave a "paper trail" on my work Wi-Fi). ;) Unlimited data is great (even if it's not really unlimited).

blooter442

Well, that started exactly the way I didn't want it to. Don't profess to be clairvoyant but had a feeling that would happen.

(Perhaps conveniently, I missed the goal because my stream wouldn't cooperate.)

Flying Weasel

Is it as bad as the stats make it look?  I just hope all that attacking will tire ManCity out and Liverpool will be able to score that away goal at some point.

blooter442

Quote from: Flying Weasel on April 10, 2018, 03:20:13 PM
Is it as bad as the stats make it look?  I just hope all that attacking will tire ManCity out and Liverpool will be able to score that away goal at some point.

It's pretty bad. LFC can't get out of its own half. Pretty much the polar opposite of last week. Perhaps the only positive is that they aren't 3-0 down as City were at this point in the game.

Flying Weasel

Gotta survive until halftime and re-group.  Better yet, snatch a counter-attack goal right before halftime!  That would help calm the nerves (mine and the teams').