FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bman

Quote from: Oline79 on June 25, 2018, 01:59:22 PM
Bman, since I am starved for any football talk, let's continue the Debate of D2 v D3 (top tier teams).  If I am a top athlete, and could play at either level, where am I going to get a better "deal"?  A partial scholarship at D2 or grant money from D3?  If the money is equal, and I have a chance to go to higher academically ranked D3 school, plus play football......

I'm in!

Let me give it some thought.   FYI, I had lunch with a former D2 coach (Valdosta St) a couple of months ago, so some of his thoughts may trickle in here...

@d3jason

I think you go to the place where you get out of school with the least debt depending on what degree you want. It's crazy what college costs these days.

Oline89

Looks like Hobart will scrimmage Buff St at the Boz on August 22, 6PM.....

ITH radio

Good news. The Bengals are a tough team every year, so I'm glad they are keeping this annual tradition alive, at least until next year when they'll play "for real" as part of LL play.

Had a great conversation with Coach Swanstrom about IC's 2017 season and how things are shaping up for 2018. Soft spoken guy, but definitely has an intense confidence in his players and the expectations at IC.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Bombers798891

Quote from: ITH radio on June 27, 2018, 10:51:06 AM

Had a great conversation with Coach Swanstrom about IC's 2017 season and how things are shaping up for 2018. Soft spoken guy, but definitely has an intense confidence in his players and the expectations at IC.

I think you nailed it perfectly.

When Swanstrom started here, there were a lot of questions asked of him about the legacy of Ithaca College Football. These ranged from big-picture questions about being "aware" that he taking over a program coached by Mike Welch and Jim Butterfield, to smaller ones about Hobart never winning at Butterfield in their history. There was even one abjectly unfair moment where he was asked what he was going to say to the players who thought Mark McDonough was going to be the next head coach—after he was reminded that not only was McDonough an All-American here, but "a lot of people thought" he could have been the next coach.

He, by and large, largely ignored giving the "right" answers to these questions, and by rightly refusing to take the bait on the McDonough question. At first, I kind of thought he was standoffish and curt. But honestly, I think he's just 100% focused on making the Ithaca College football team better, and dwelling on the weight of taking over from two IC legends, or caring about Ithaca's historical dominance of Hobart at home, or worrying for one second about the people who wanted McDonough over him wasn't going to advance that goal.

I like Mike Welch a lot, as a coach, and a friend. And D-III football is about more than just the scoreboard so don't think my priorities are messed up. But all that said, Swanstrom is bringing, as you put it, an intensity back to the program that I believe is going to serve it incredibly well with regard to on-the-field success. Swanstrom isn't Welch, or Butterfield, or McDonough and there are probably some people for whom that won't ever be good enough (barring a return to the Butterfield-era success). But I think Ithaca football is in very good hands with him.

Oline89

Good news. The Bengals are a tough team every year, so I'm glad they are keeping this annual tradition alive, at least until next year when they'll play "for real" as part of LL play.

Is the interview going to be on the ITH podcast?

ITH radio

No, it was for the LL preview for Kickoff which I am just getting started on. We will most likely have Coach S on the show this fall though.

I also spoke with SLU HC Dan Puckhaber yesterday while he was in transit to Rochester for a camp. They have a lot of holes to fill, but have a talented class coming in, much like they did back in 2013. I had kind of forgotten how close SLU could have been to a 5-5 team last year if they caught a break here and there. It'll be interesting to see how they start out this fall, especially on defense with a lot of new faces and a new DC.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Bombers798891 on June 27, 2018, 12:39:14 PM

When Swanstrom started here, there were a lot of questions asked of him about the legacy of Ithaca College Football. These ranged from big-picture questions about being "aware" that he taking over a program coached by Mike Welch and Jim Butterfield, to smaller ones about Hobart never winning at Butterfield in their history. There was even one abjectly unfair moment where he was asked what he was going to say to the players who thought Mark McDonough was going to be the next head coach—after he was reminded that not only was McDonough an All-American here, but "a lot of people thought" he could have been the next coach.

He, by and large, largely ignored giving the "right" answers to these questions, and by rightly refusing to take the bait on the McDonough question. At first, I kind of thought he was standoffish and curt. But honestly, I think he's just 100% focused on making the Ithaca College football team better, and dwelling on the weight of taking over from two IC legends, or caring about Ithaca's historical dominance of Hobart at home, or worrying for one second about the people who wanted McDonough over him wasn't going to advance that goal.

Removed my stupidity.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

D3viewer

Pat, are you confusing Mark McDonough (now the DC at Williams under former IC DC Mark Raymond) with Mark Ross the current HC at Misercordia ? Mark Ross is also a former Ithaca DC, but years before Mark McDonough. McDonough may have been brought in to replace Ross after he (Ross) took the Misercordia job. McDonough was Welch's very successful DC during his last season, so thus the questions if he would be considered his replacement.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: D3viewer on June 28, 2018, 09:08:39 PM
Pat, are you confusing Mark McDonough (now the DC at Williams under former IC DC Mark Raymond) with Mark Ross the current HC at Misercordia ? Mark Ross is also a former Ithaca DC, but years before Mark McDonough. McDonough may have been brought in to replace Ross after he (Ross) took the Misercordia job. McDonough was Welch's very successful DC during his last season, so thus the questions if he would be considered his replacement.

Yea I think he is.  Lots of Ithaca Marks out there......

Bartman

Quote from: Jonny Utah on June 29, 2018, 07:48:17 AM

Yea I think he is.  Lots of Ithaca Marks out there......
Methinks Pat has " missed the Mark" here
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Bombers798891

Quote from: Pat Coleman on June 28, 2018, 02:50:33 PM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on June 27, 2018, 12:39:14 PM

The McDonough stuff is crazy talk. Anyone who thought that McDonough could have been the next coach should have realized by the fourth or fifth season of one win or less at Misericordia that it wasn't going to happen.

I, too, thought McDonough could have been the next Ithaca coach in 2011, when he left. But when he didn't have any kind of success at all, even by Year 3 and Year 4, let alone 5, it doesn't matter how well beloved you are, Ithaca isn't going to be able to hire you.

I have to chuckle Pat, because I was so excited to hear your perspective on this when I saw you replied, and then saw this, and could not figure out what in God's name you were referring to. Then it hit me.

Pat Coleman

Yep, I'm 100% doing that. Yikes.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

D3viewer

Just checked Swanstrom's staff to see if his DC is also named Mark. It is not, but it is Michael . Hmmm, maybe it's  an "M" THING.

dlippiel

Funny, dlip was just sitting here reading through the boards and with some building excitement towards the upcoming season and he was thinking back to the Dutchmen Shoes game of last season. dlip remembers being harsh on the RPI fans regarding their end of the game behavior and then kind of sticking to it Mach here on the boards as well after that. Upon reflecting dlip is thinking he was way off on that, probably saw it differently than it really was, and wants to apologize to Mach and the RPI fans (not that anyone gives a ****) for that. No one got hurt and it was certainly a joyous win for the Engineers, one they totally deserved.

To dlip, that celebration by the RPI fans really only adds to the excitement of the game and brings some fire and life back to the rivalry that at least fans wise, has seemed to diminish over the years. dlip also thought back to Connor Eck's OT game winning pass to Kyle Reynolds in Troy a few years back and how much he would have loved it if Dutchmen fans ran on the field (all 100 of them).

So however meaningless, stupid, hypocritical, and/or pathetic dlip wanted to throw that out there before the new season and admit his mistake. We need some fire and fun back in this rivalry on both sides.