MBB: General Mid-Atlantic Conversation

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, December 11, 2013, 10:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I thought it might make sense to start a general Mid-Atlantic conversation. There are plenty of board members who talk about teams from different conferences in difference conference pages... so why not bring those general conversations into here. Also, we can discuss regional rankings, NCAA tournament chances, etc. regarding the entire region.

And to make it interesting, I am starting a poll as to who the best team in the region is as of the middle of December. We can change that question every week if we want.

So let the conversation begin!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

My current regional ranking:

1 - Cabrini
2 - Scranton
3 - Muhlenberg
4 - Juniata
5 - Wesley
6 - Stevenson
7 - St. Mary's
8 - Dickinson
9 - Catholic

Clutch

Thinking Catholic will get better and better and better......would be interesting to see Cabrini and Catholic battle it out late in the year,  thinking the ranking would be more like below as the weeks progress.

1. Cabrini
2. St Marys
3. Catholic
4. Scranton
5. Dickinson
6. Alvernia
7. Stevenson
8. Wesley
9. Franklin and Marshall

NEPAFAN

my top four:

1. Cabrini
2. Wesley
3. Scranton
4. Catholic
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

CCHoopster

So what surprise team or what surprise teams will be regionally ranked the first ranking? Be interested to see who everyone would think! Kind of like Arcadia from last year, who sort of came out of the basement into Regional Rankings.

Great idea starting this forum!!

Charles

Thinking Juniata could have a great year. They have a strong senior group that may have a chip on their shoulder.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: Charles on December 13, 2013, 05:32:49 AM
Thinking Juniata could have a great year. They have a strong senior group that may have a chip on their shoulder.

Good point Charles.

Hey Dmac:

Anyway you get Scranton to the Hoopsville Invitational next year?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

CCHoopster

I was thinking Juniata, Messiah and possibly a CAC team.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: NEPAFAN on December 13, 2013, 08:28:27 AM
Quote from: Charles on December 13, 2013, 05:32:49 AM

Good point Charles.

Hey Dmac:

Anyway you get Scranton to the Hoopsville Invitational next year?

Ask... they are unavailable.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CCHoopster

Question for Dave:

The D3 Hoops Top 25 is voted on on a weekly basis. With semesters ending this week and some schools next week, there are teams that have no games until the New Year. There are other teams that may have 3-4 games left between now and the New Year. How are those two scenarios looked at by the voters. Would a team lose votes if they don't play for almost 2-4 weeks, or are they voted on based upon YTD body of work regardless of how long they may have been off or don't have a game.

Hope the question makes sense. Not thinking of anyone in particular just a general question.

Thanks!

Clutch

absolutely nice question there CC Hoopster, I have often wondered this myself, and not to mention how the teams come out of a layoff or those who are playing going into a break; it must have an impact on play based on the time off variable not the true variable of talent etc.... therefore your point makes sense if placing votes and positions on rankings at this point in the season when comparing teams.  Not only do some teams historically come out of the gate stronger after the new year begins, but sometime others begin to start getting tired earlier since their play has not stopped. Will be interesting to hear how this criteria effects the voting process at all or if it is not taken into consideration at all.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: CCHoopster on December 14, 2013, 11:31:11 AM
Question for Dave:

The D3 Hoops Top 25 is voted on on a weekly basis. With semesters ending this week and some schools next week, there are teams that have no games until the New Year. There are other teams that may have 3-4 games left between now and the New Year. How are those two scenarios looked at by the voters. Would a team lose votes if they don't play for almost 2-4 weeks, or are they voted on based upon YTD body of work regardless of how long they may have been off or don't have a game.

Hope the question makes sense. Not thinking of anyone in particular just a general question.

Thanks!

Kind of depends on if other teams do something to deserve getting moved up. Sometimes teams do slide during the time off but usually they are teams who haven't played anyone of real note.

Voters also take at least one week off during the holidays as well.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: CCHoopster on December 14, 2013, 11:31:11 AM
Question for Dave:

Thanks!

Yeah... there isn't a hard and fast rule for at least myself - I can't speak to other voters. I consider a team is on break and honestly wouldn't "punish" them except if a few other teams have made an argument they should move ahead of them... but then I am considering more of the entire body of work. Now, teams who haven't played have certainly moved up my ballot, but that's because teams ahead of them have started to under-perform their ranking... and again the entire body of work is considered.

I will say that a team who hasn't played in four weeks has a disadvantage because more and more teams around them and in the poll are playing... but that is because their body of work is starting to become easier (or harder) to compare.

As for not playing up to par when they get back from a break like that... it's a case-by-case scenario. Did a team struggles in their first game against a quality opponent or was it against someone they should have beaten? Also, there usually is more than just one game to look at. Pat mentioned the fact there is at least a week off during the holidays from the poll... that usually gives voters plenty of data to work off of (though, I remember last year Vir. Wesleyan was the #1 team maybe and while the poll was off for a week, they lost like three games of what ended up being four in a row... that made voting a bit interesting when we came back).

I hope that all makes sense.

Clutch

Thank you Dave and Pat seems logical....it seems it all comes down to how well a team plays with some slack for being a little rusty.  Interesting. 

NEPAFAN

Catholic and Scranton with bad losses over the weekend.
Vince Lombardi