MBB: Colonial States Athletic Conference

Started by Coach C, April 08, 2005, 02:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mailsy

Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Smitty Oom

My personal opinion is that Monroe should have been first team All-American. D3Hoops.com does great work and I'm not throwing any ill-will here, just stating my personal opinion.

I think we have been desensitized to Mr. Monroe's huge numbers because he has been doing this for so long. He led his team to a 25-4 record in a fairly competitive conference and the Cavs were able to host the first weekend of the NCAA tourney, a privilege for only 16 of the best teams. He averaged 21.4 points and 14.7 rebounds, which was good enough for second in the country. Lets throw in the fact that he shot almost 51% from the field, averaged 3.2 assists per game and had an ast:to f 1.6, which is pretty solid for a forward who had the ball in his hands as much as Monroe did. Throw in 2 blocks and a steal a game to boot and you have an all-around game dominator. I know his FT percentage was down around 60%, but the guy isn't perfect.  ;D

I know everyone is familiar with his numbers, so thats not any news here. But in terms of fitting on a team, he is a quintessential player any coach would want to have, whether he is playing the point or center he would make a team better due to his unique skill set, size and athleticism.

I personally would have had him on my First team, but curious to why you choose the other players over him, if you are allowed to divulge that information! :)

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Some of it, for me anyway, is honestly a testament to what he's been able to do. He got recruited as a 6'1" guard and turned into a 6'6" guard playing center.  He's a tremendous rebounded and a good athlete, but his defense is below average and he's not performed well when he actually has to play against true post players.  If he could've been more like Aaron Walton-Moss was, a true small forward, it might've helped him.  Cabrini just had to do things with him, because of personnel, that weren't necessarily in his best interests.  Of course, basketball is a team game and he went along (and got the 5th most rebounds ever in the process).

In my book he's behind Walters because they're similar players and Walters has a more physical game.  Monroe was sick in the all-star game, but you could see the difference between the two on the court.  In January, I was considering Jaqhawn Walters for POY - he and his team fizzled out a bit, but he's a really strong contender.

I can see real pros and cons to having both Sanders and Monroe on your team.  It was close between all those guys on the first three teams and I don't think anyone could really argue too much with any order you'd put the six big guys.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

mailsy

ronk

Quote from: mailsy on July 08, 2018, 11:12:16 AM
CSAC announced there 25th Anniversary Awards

http://csacsports.com/sports/2018/6/29/MBB_0629183940.aspx?id=1229&

They've overlooked Scranton's WBB coach Trevor Woodruff who player for Misericordia.  ;)

lefty2

Quote from: ronk on July 08, 2018, 11:05:23 PM
Quote from: mailsy on July 08, 2018, 11:12:16 AM
CSAC announced there 25th Anniversary Awards

http://csacsports.com/sports/2018/6/29/MBB_0629183940.aspx?id=1229&

They've overlooked Scranton's WBB coach Trevor Woodruff who player for Misericordia.  ;)

That is a pretty impressive roster even without Trevor.
The person who says something can't be done shouldn't stand in the way of the one who's doing it.

gordonmann

It's not really a team so much as a list of names.

If you could only pick five with some semblance of a starting lineup, whom would pick?

My five would be Cory Lemons, Aaron Walton-Moss, Willie Chandler, Tyheim Monroe and Badou Gaye.

lefty2

Quote from: gordonmann on July 11, 2018, 02:14:37 PM
It's not really a team so much as a list of names.

If you could only pick five with some semblance of a starting lineup, whom would pick?

My five would be Cory Lemons, Aaron Walton-Moss, Willie Chandler, Tyheim Monroe and Badou Gaye.

I only saw the first 16 years worth, but Will Chandler, Badou Gaye, Damien Hunter, Rahim Washington, and Bill Carr and Antoine Harden make my short list from that ear.
The person who says something can't be done shouldn't stand in the way of the one who's doing it.

gordonmann

Yeah. Similarly I only saw the guys who played after 2004, except for Chandler. When I was living in Upstate NY, I drove four hours to watch him play at a holiday tournament in Williams.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

mailsy

....In my second game of the day. I saw Rosemont take down Cairn 100-97. It was an electric night on the campus of Cairn. Much more so than Gwynedd(1 on Spring break, the other not).

Congrats to Rosemont winning their first CSAC championship!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: mailsy on February 23, 2019, 09:42:51 PM
....In my second game of the day. I saw Rosemont take down Cairn 100-97. It was an electric night on the campus of Cairn. Much more so than Gwynedd(1 on Spring break, the other not).

Conflicted emotions watching Rosemont and their star player?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

mailsy

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 24, 2019, 12:33:02 PM
Quote from: mailsy on February 23, 2019, 09:42:51 PM

Conflicted emotions watching Rosemont and their star player?

Nah. Not really. He would have helped. But....it is what it is.  ::)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It is nearly time to tip off the 2019 Division III Men's and Women's Championship Tournaments, but not without checking with Hoopsville first.

We talk to a number of programs getting ready for their first round games. From those dancing for the first time to those whose programs are a mainstay, we will cover the gamete on Thursday's show. Tune in starting at 7:00 p.m. ET to also hear who experts and friends of the show think will be in the final fours, even winning it all, in a few weeks time.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Thursday's show in the video player above. If you miss any of the program, you can always watch it On Demand or listen to the audio-only podcast to the right (available shortly after the show goes off air).

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to dave.mchugh@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Matt Hunter, York (Pa.) men's coach
- Bobby Hughes, Rosemont men's coach
- Women's final four predictions
- Brian Morehouse, No. 10 Hope women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Brad Fischer, No. 13 UW-Oshkosh women's coach
- Terry Butterfield, Texas-Dallas men's coach
- Men's final four predictions

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh