MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logsfan1

It was a messy game in Tacoma, lots of fouls and a long second half.  Both the Logger big guys were in foul trouble early and were gone early in the second half, but UPS controlled Whitman (but not Michaels, who was great) from start to finish.  Whitman played aggressively, as Bridgeland's teams always do, but Puget Sound was equally hard-nosed, and, man for man, just better.  I've been watching Puget Sound basketball for a long time, and while this isn't the best UPS team by a long shot, it's a tough group and I think Coach Lunt deserves some props for that.  Taking nothing away from Coach Bridgeland, who I have great respect for and who brought exciting basketball to Tacoma after some dismal years, I don't worry going into a game against Whitman that Puget Sound is going to be outcoached.  This season, when talent-wise you could argue for a close match between the teams, Lunt was 3 and 0.  I'm not optimistic about the trip to Spokane, but I did see UPS play about 28 good minutes against WW early in the season and I think the team is significantly better now than it was back then.  I think they have a puncher's chance of making it a game.   

(509)Rat

UPS is playing their best basketball of the season.

After the first 5 minutes, Whitworth reminded LC why they won more games than everyone else in the conference.

This one feels like old times, and by that I mean 3-4 years ago lol. Should be a good one in Spokane. I expect UPS to travel a little better than LC did. Expect a packed house Saturday night. If UPS shoots like they did last night then this one will come down to FT's at the end of the game.

Whitworth by 10

Keandre

UPS made it very difficult for anyone but Michaels to score. With that said, they made him take tough, contested shots. He didn't shoot good at all but got to the line a lot. UPS bigs Yarbro and Gittens fouled out with around 8 minutes to play. With them gone, Whitman executed what they wanted to do all game and get them fouled out. After that, it was all coaching. Lunt out coached the Whitman Coach. Lunt made adjustments and Whitman did not. The guards from UPS hit big 3's down the stretch and kept attacking the rim. They pushed the ball down the floor and were attacking Whitman as well. Then, Michaels fouled out. after that, it was a wrap. Great game for UPS, they help Whitman in all 3 games to less than 67 points.

Great matchup Saturday. UPS is playing their best ball, Whitworth is playing their best ball. It will be a battle and am looking forward to this one. UPS by 4

playball

Quote from: Keandre on February 24, 2012, 10:12:12 AM
UPS made it very difficult for anyone but Michaels to score. With that said, they made him take tough, contested shots. He didn't shoot good at all but got to the line a lot. UPS bigs Yarbro and Gittens fouled out with around 8 minutes to play. With them gone, Whitman executed what they wanted to do all game and get them fouled out. After that, it was all coaching. Lunt out coached the Whitman Coach. Lunt made adjustments and Whitman did not. The guards from UPS hit big 3's down the stretch and kept attacking the rim. They pushed the ball down the floor and were attacking Whitman as well. Then, Michaels fouled out. after that, it was a wrap. Great game for UPS, they help Whitman in all 3 games to less than 67 points.

Great matchup Saturday. UPS is playing their best ball, Whitworth is playing their best ball. It will be a battle and am looking forward to this one. UPS by 4

Didnt shoot good at all?  He shot 50% from the field and 3 point line.  If thats not that good, all but 7 of the players in the conference aren't that good for the season.  With THAT said, huge win for UPS and now lets see if they can win away from Tacoma where they have gone 11-1.  6-4 on the road however.

Keandre

He missed a lot of gimme shots that were point blank range and bricked 2 wide open 3's pretty bad, that is what I mean by shot bad. Not his percentages because he should have been at least 12-14 with only the 2 3's he missed. But you are right, it will be a battle for UPS to win on the road but I think they will give a much better performance than last game.

etule

Whitworth shot 28% from the field and 26% from the three point line. Hard to win doing that. That being said I agree that UPS is a physical team and Lunt did a good coaching job! Yarbo came up big again for UPS! Shelton is a tough minded kid!
Im surprised that Hollins did not dominate WW!

I think that UPS has a chance this year. Two NWC teams in tourney would be awesome!

playball

Quote from: etule on February 24, 2012, 10:25:14 PM
Whitworth shot 28% from the field and 26% from the three point line. Hard to win doing that. That being said I agree that UPS is a physical team and Lunt did a good coaching job! Yarbo came up big again for UPS! Shelton is a tough minded kid!
Im surprised that Hollins did not dominate WW!

I think that UPS has a chance this year. Two NWC teams in tourney would be awesome!

That would be great for the NWC! If that happens do you think it would be a four team pod or a three team somewhere?

(509)Rat

I think it becomes a 4 team pod in Spokane with Whit, UPS, CMS, and the lowest seeded between the WIAC/MIAC teams that get in. Basically a repeat of 2007

etule

That would be fun! Those mid-west teams are good! CMS is physical this year and dangerous! I hope it happens!

(509)Rat

I disagree with the great for the NWC sentiment. They would be paired up in the first or second round in the NW. No additional national exposure, and credibility doesn't play in to future tourney selections (as much as the SCIAC guys think it does). There really isn't anything to gain by getting two teams in, well except for a boost to Keandre's self-esteem  ;D

playball

Quote from: (509)Rat on February 25, 2012, 03:58:21 PM
I disagree with the great for the NWC sentiment. They would be paired up in the first or second round in the NW. No additional national exposure, and credibility doesn't play in to future tourney selections (as much as the SCIAC guys think it does). There really isn't anything to gain by getting two teams in, well except for a boost to Keandre's self-esteem  ;D

I feel that is good for the NWC, like I said earlier.  I think this because the more players we can get playing in that type of atmosphere the better.  Pays off in the long run.  Also, it ups the likeliness of a NWC team moving on, even with a potential second round match up.

A Buc Forever

The Pirates are playing very efficient ball right now. Great to see them hitting their stride as they enter the tournament. It will be interesting to see how deep this team goes.  On paper last year's team was better (ranked #1 at this time instead of #10) but last year they were getting tight and not playing their best ball at this point in the season. This team could get hot and go deep.

It will also be interesting to see where the NCAA sends the Pirates.  I hope they get to host the first weekend. The only problem is who will be the other team or teams in the first weekend pod besides CMS?  It might be cheaper to send CMS and WW to some Midwest site.  Worse is having CMS travel to Spokane on Thursday and the winner going somewhere else.  I think hosting the 2nd weekend is not even a long shot.  Getting to the final four is rough when you have to travel across the country and play teams on their home turf.  For the most part it is has been the level of play and travel that have beaten the Bucs on the road. However, last year the refs entered into the game also. Hard to beat a team like Wooster when the refs keep making momentum changing calls (or non-calls) every time you are in the middle of a run.

Congrats to UPS.  They were playing great ball a the end of the season.

(509)Rat

Whitworth is ranked high enough to at least host a first round game against CMS. I doubt the get a 4 team sectional as that would require 3 flights to Spokane. The last time only 1 NWC team and 1 SCIAC/Pool C Chapman team made the tourney, each was sent to a Midwest/South site for the 1st two rounds. Whitworth went to Wash U that year and Oxy to Mississippi. I would NOT be surprised if it happened again this year just because it saves $$$ depending on who the NCAA can bus to those sectional sites...

(509)Rat

Personally, I'm a big fan of the bracket projection done by d3hoops. It gives Whitworth a first round bye, a fair second round matchup, and then a pod in the midwest (Ill, Wisc, MO). The d3hoops guys know their stuff, but the NCAA selection committee always seems to have a few surprises in store. They've been good to WAY out West teams for the last couple years, hopefully that trend continues...we'll know at 12 EST

(509)Rat

Well, Whitworth gets hosed. Better book your flights to Texas! First round against McMurry, in Belton. UMHB will play Trinity in the other first round game

Va Wesleyan gets the bye in Whitworth's section of the bracket. So if Whitworth wins and then we get chalk:

Whit v McMurry
Whit v UMHB
Whit v Va Wesleyan
Whit v UWW
Whit v. Amherst

ouch