MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seatfiller

So I forgot about the games until about 20 minutes ago and saw RMC lose in a heart breaker to Swarthmore 57-58.  Was anyone on here at that game live? I saw the final shot (a put back) and if the RMC player got that off in time he got fouled bad and it was a big no call. But anyway good game and season RMC, you represented the ODAC very well.

y_jack_lok

First, congrats to Guilford on the win over St. Thomas. I was able to see most of the second half after watching the Jackets lose that heartbreaker. Luke Neeley and Darryl Williams each made about four three-pointers for R-MC in the first half. Jackets led 31-15 with 8 minutes left in the first half, then only scored 26 points the rest of the game. Swarthmore started defending the 3-pointer more and were tough defensively down low with a bunch of clean blocks. Officials are reluctant to call fouls on those last second shots. Not a lot of fouls called at all during the game, so no surprise they let that one go.

Great season for the Jackets. Congratulations! If GC can win tomorrow the wife and I might make the 325 mile drive to Fort Wayne next weekend.

Seatfiller

Quote from: y_jack_lok on March 08, 2019, 07:28:59 PM
First, congrats to Guilford on the win over St. Thomas. I was able to see most of the second half after watching the Jackets lose that heartbreaker. Luke Neeley and Darryl Williams each made about four three-pointers for R-MC in the first half. Jackets led 31-15 with 8 minutes left in the first half, then only scored 26 points the rest of the game. Swarthmore started defending the 3-pointer more and were tough defensively down low with a bunch of clean blocks. Officials are reluctant to call fouls on those last second shots. Not a lot of fouls called at all during the game, so no surprise they let that one go.

Great season for the Jackets. Congratulations! If GC can win tomorrow the wife and I might make the 325 mile drive to Fort Wayne next weekend.

It seemed like it on that last one.  I wish I could've seen a replay of it.  From the online view he was either just pushed or the guy under him moved him out while he was still taking the shot.  Either way great season for RMC and I'm happy to see that Guilford won.

hasanova

Thanks for the congratulations on Guilford's come from behind win.  After trailing 39-30 at the half, the Quakers dominated the second half 50-34 and won 80-73.

Quaker fans gathered for a watch party at a local brewery in Greensboro ... and we will be there again Saturday at 8.

Sorry to hear RMC lost a close game to Swarthmore ... it would have been great to have two ODAC teams in the Elite 8 again.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I watched the play several times. I initially thought a foul could be called, but I was on my phone and only saw him land awkwardly. Watching it again, I don't think it's a call. He was already off balance and the player coming in didn't really get him as much as I thought before. It was probably a solid no-call.

Refs at this point will call those if they think they are actual fouls. I think that would not have been called no matter how much time was on the clock.

Per the game, RMC lead basically from 2-2 onward. They seemed to do really well shooting and absorbing the Swarthmore attach, but the Garnet defense in the second half stifled RMC. That allowed Swat to come back and make a game of it.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

When you're looking back on those 50/50 calls, there's really no "right" answer, because there's a solid argument either way.  I tend to think, which call (or non call) would I most regret.  I think calling the foul would've been a little worse than not calling it.

In the moment, watching, you have those split second emotional responses.  I went "Oh no, he's going to foul him on the last shot" to "that probably wasn't a foul," pretty quickly.  The guy didn't really expect the ball to get to him and he wasn't quite ready - although props for getting up a shot at all; that's a pretty intense situation to be surprised.

Bright future for R-MC.  Nice to see my fellow Delawarean, Ian Robertson, putting in solid minutes all season as a freshman.  I think he's going to be very important down the line.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 08, 2019, 11:56:08 PM
Per the game, RMC lead basically from 2-2 onward. They seemed to do really well shooting and absorbing the Swarthmore attach, but the Garnet defense in the second half stifled RMC. That allowed Swat to come back and make a game of it.

Not that it matters at this point, but to set the record straight. Late in the game the announcers were commenting that R-MC lead the whole way after the initial 2-2 tie. I watched the whole game and thought that wasn't quite right, but I wasn't simultaneously following live stats where I could have checked play-by-play. So I checked the box score just now. After that 2-2 tie Swarthmore went up 5-2 and 7-4 (at the 17:43 mark) before R-MC hit back-to-back threes and led until Swarthmore tied it at 47 at 13:10 in the second half. From there it was back and forth until the end.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I watch a lot of Swat games (they're close to me) and I've not seen the big guys so gassed ever.  It took a lot out of them to get back in the game.  If RMC could've just hit one or two more shots down the stretch, I think it would've been enough.  Swat was just barely holding on - we'll see tonight, but I think that effort could really effect their play tonight.  Luckily for them, Nichols only played seven guys and their starters were all around 35 minutes or more.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

CNU85

Amazing season for Guilford! Congrats on a fabulous year!

Seatfiller

Quote from: CNU85 on March 09, 2019, 10:04:06 PM

Congratulations on CNU making it to the final four.  It would be nice if they can bring the championship to Virginia!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Seatfiller on March 10, 2019, 05:32:49 PM

Congratulations on CNU making it to the final four.  It would be nice if they can bring the championship to Virginia!

Until Ft. Wayne took over, the championship was almost ALWAYS brought to Virginia! ;D

hasanova

Thanks, it was.  As a native Virginian, I am  now rooting for the Captains!  Go CNU!

Speaking of the Guilford/UW-O game, the Titans are a fine team with considerable height.  The Quakers have also benefitted from the home court in the past, but I really wish all Sweet 16 games and beyond were played on neutral courts ... it does make a difference.  Quakers fans thought GC had taken the lead at 67-66 with a basket and one, but the hoop was waved off and a foul called on Guilford.  Marcus Curry, who rarely gets over 2 fouls was limited to 22 minutes and 4 points ... he fouled out and spent most of the second half on the bench.  It was a shame.

With that said, however, congratulations to the Titans.  They are a formidable team.  Go Thunder!  lol

y_jack_lok

^^^ I saw some of Guilford late in the season and NCAA tourney. Marcus Curry is a terrific player. Congrats on a great season.

Going to Ft. Wayne to see how many points Aston Francis scores on Friday.

thescottharris

Well William & Mary let go of Tony Shaver. Wonder if he'll be interested in returning to H-SC and if he would be considered at this point with on-campus interviews already being scheduled for next week??

Swish3

W&M will likely regret that decision...tough to win there, but he was a lot more successful than any other coach they've had.

Great seasons for R-MC and Guilford...congrats!