FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Bill McCabe on April 10, 2014, 11:52:45 AM
Only 4 home games for UMHB?  :o
I trust that you mean only 4 regular season home games for UMHB?

Ron Boerger

Six last season - evens out over time.

Toby Taff

Quote from: Ron Boerger on April 10, 2014, 11:50:26 PM

and 4 the year before. I wonder if there there may have been some intent to maximize the Cruthedral in its first year.

Ralph, that would be my guess  ;D
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

couchcru11

Quote from: Toby Taff on April 11, 2014, 01:43:17 AM

and 4 the year before. I wonder if there there may have been some intent to maximize the Cruthedral in its first year.

That is what they wanted. With last year being the first year of the CRUthedral, coach Fred and the Head Honchos wanted to have as many games at home as possible during the regular season to give alumni lots of chances to come back to see it and build the atmosphere with students for years to come.
"A Crusader NEVER walks alone!"

Toby Taff

Looks like yet another Big Country boy is choosing UMHB over HSU.
http://www.ktxs.com/news/video-stamfords-wimberly-heading-to-umhb-fellow-bulldog-roberts-going-with-him/25629114 Watch the video. This kid has a pretty good arm.

highlights on HUDL.com: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1864009/highlights/27831373 shows him playing both sides of the ball and special teams.  You have to love 1A football in TX
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

wildcat11

Quote from: Toby Taff on April 24, 2014, 10:42:40 AM
Looks like yet another Big Country boy is choosing UMHB over HSU.
http://www.ktxs.com/news/video-stamfords-wimberly-heading-to-umhb-fellow-bulldog-roberts-going-with-him/25629114 Watch the video. This kid has a pretty good arm.

highlights on HUDL.com: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1864009/highlights/27831373 shows him playing both sides of the ball and special teams.  You have to love 1A football in TX

Love seeing kids singing NLI in Division 3.   ;)

Bill McCabe

Quote from: couchcru11 on April 15, 2014, 10:41:10 AM
Quote from: Toby Taff on April 11, 2014, 01:43:17 AM

That is what they wanted. With last year being the first year of the CRUthedral, coach Fred and the Head Honchos wanted to have as many games at home as possible during the regular season to give alumni lots of chances to come back to see it and build the atmosphere with students for years to come.

I suspect it has more to do with difficulty in scheduling teams.  I don't think too many want to come to Belton.

Womb_to_Tomb_Wildcat

Louisiana College QB Easton Melancon selected to represent the United States this summer as part of the USA Under-19 National Team. Pretty big honor for one of the ASC's emerging stars.

http://highschoolsports.nola.com/news/article/8910063764589116027/hahnville-alumnus-easton-melancon-selected-for-under-19-football-national-team/

Ralph Turner

crufootball

Couldn't pass up what I think is a funny jab at Lindy's College Football Preview Magazine by UMHB.

UMHB posted a story about the latest publication to announce a preseason story with the following blurb "Three American Southwest Conference players were named to the Preseason All-American Teams. Mississippi College linebacker Jake Weddle was also selected, even though the Choctaws are no longer competing in NCAA Division III after transitioning to NCAA Division II over the summer."

The mistake is not that surprising, but I thought it was funny that we called them out on it. 

olddog

Cru, any thoughts on your team next year. How will the D line be next year, loosing your big tackle...? I know several O linemen are back, I thought your O line was well coached, thoughts on the new position coach? ....People love to talk about the skills, but in D3 Football the shortage of very good players is up front, is the key to being elite is your linemen in D3... Huge difference between top 10 teams fronts versus a team like ours that has hovered in the top 32...Once you get past the Top 50 teams, pretty hard to watch at times.
I also think mentally it is easier for us to get ready to play MHB than your team since the Cru has out played us in 6 of the 8 quarters we played. Some could argue 8/8. Basically on offense we will be better...All but one lineman back. but even a couple back up had starts last year due to injury, QB back for second year and his first spring football, RBs back...but some WR will need to step up, top two gone. On defense, majority of back 8 are back, just inexperienced on the D line, but a couple talents...that could be all conference next year.

My early line is MHB by 14....I think we will play you even tougher than the first three quarters of the play off game.
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

couchcru11

I think a lot of the CRU's success has to do with their back ups and growth behind the starters. Most of huge time when we lose a Silvio or a Holt, we just reload with a younger version that has the potential of being a stud. I haven't heard about the new coach, but I'm sure that if he is on this staff he knows excellence and can produce what is needed. Our D will look very different with losing so many seniors, but I know we're reloading there too. New RB's and WR's should make the season fun.

Quote from: olddog on June 19, 2014, 08:53:22 PM
Cru, any thoughts on your team next year. How will the D line be next year, loosing your big tackle...? I know several O linemen are back, I thought your O line was well coached, thoughts on the new position coach? ....People love to talk about the skills, but in D3 Football the shortage of very good players is up front, is the key to being elite is your linemen in D3... Huge difference between top 10 teams fronts versus a team like ours that has hovered in the top 32...Once you get past the Top 50 teams, pretty hard to watch at times.
I also think mentally it is easier for us to get ready to play MHB than your team since the Cru has out played us in 6 of the 8 quarters we played. Some could argue 8/8. Basically on offense we will be better...All but one lineman back. but even a couple back up had starts last year due to injury, QB back for second year and his first spring football, RBs back...but some WR will need to step up, top two gone. On defense, majority of back 8 are back, just inexperienced on the D line, but a couple talents...that could be all conference next year.

My early line is MHB by 14....I think we will play you even tougher than the first three quarters of the play off game.
"A Crusader NEVER walks alone!"

crufootball

Quote from: olddog on June 19, 2014, 08:53:22 PM

I must admit to being pretty excited about the potential of this upcoming year. We did lose some big time players but a lot of young players played very well as starters or back-ups and hopefully we can assume they will only get better.

I never worry about our defense as we always seem to have players waiting in the wings to fill spots. We did lose some keys D-linemen but we had some younger studs too, I am more concerned with our secondary which was pretty solid but lost almost everyone.

On offense, I can't wait to see what our offensive coordinator Jeff Shinn and QB coach Cody Fredenburg have done with Zach Anderson over the off-season. Those coaches have been in those roles the last two years and I give them a lot of credit for how good we have been in those two seasons as LiDarral was a beast his senior year and I feel like they can do that with Zach.

I am not sure what new position coach you are talking about as our main o-line coach has been around for quite some time.

To speak specifically about the Redlands game, one huge advantage I think the Cru will have is simply it being our 2nd game of the year and it being your guys first. Getting on a plane and traveling across the country to play a top 5 team is hard, especially when its your first game.

umhb2001

First post in a while, so it was good to see some banter already about the upcoming season.

If you haven't picked up your Dave Campbell's Texas Football, it has some great information about every division and conference. As DIII info is hard to come by, the restrictions the NCAA puts on us is ridiculous, it's always nice to see the info brought up in the magazine.

Returning offense for UMHB includes the QB Zach Anderson, RB's Michael Carpenter, Caleb Moore, and Malcom Miller. We return seven starters on O, including three not he line. Included in the 6 Defensive starters are Deshon Kinsey, Teidrick Smith, and Baylor Mullins. We do lose a bit of the secondary, so that scares me in a pass heavy league.

I did find it extremely interesting that the magazine said that McMurry withdrew its DII request, will return to the ASC, and Bellhaven will be joining the ASC also. Anyone out there familiar with that? What happened to McMurry?

Anyways, sounds very interesting, and I'd love to make the first game against Millsaps.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

Pat Coleman

Yep. McMurry is coming back to D3. In my opinion, an overdue change of heart.

http://www.d3sports.com/notables/2014/03/asc-adds-belhaven-mcmurry

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.