Eastern Collegiate Football Conference

Started by ccd494, August 24, 2009, 09:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NED3Guy

Always great when a frequent poster from another league drops in during inter-league game weeks. Thanks for posting UfanBill.

You're correct that Husson will inevitably slip a bit without Smith in the backfield. He was a force in every game he played in, and will be missed.

Maybe I'm not giving Union the credit they deserve in this one. Last years' game IN BANGOR vs Union was really a 14-7 game, with Smith scoring a final TD with 11 seconds left in the game. Both teams will have some new faces on the field. Still hard for me to pick the team with a first time starter at QB.

While it will be interesting to see who Husson has carrying the ball this year, I was surprised to see a kid from Crenshaw (Los Angeles) on their roster...out of curiosity I googled him (Solomon Hassen) and was pretty impressed. Is he John Smith....no. But this kid can FLY.

The more I think about it, the more I think this one is closer than I first predicted....I'll adjust to 21-17 Husson.

Machiavelli

I don't often route for Union, but when I do, it's vs. Husson. Stay thirsty my friends.

dlippiel

Quote from: Machiavelli on August 30, 2018, 03:30:46 PM
I don't often route for Union, but when I do, it's vs. Husson. Stay thirsty my friends.

Mother****er! Finally get Mach on board with the U (even for a game) and dlip thinks they may let him down. Husson 24-10.

dlip thinks, going from what he has heard about regarding the scrimmage (vs Utica), as well as the new QB (Bellemy or Giordano), and the young O-line that Union will struggle early in the season vs. tough competition. Believe dlip, he feels good about Union but always tries to be as realistic as possible. Husson returns some key players and is very well coached. A Union win here (which of course dlip is hoping for) would be a big statement for the Dutch this season. Who knows they certainly may surprise. Really looking forward to Saturday.

NED3Guy

Wow.... Anybody know where the crow buffet is? I gotta start eating my helping if crow.

Very surprised by the Union v Husson score. Will get info and report back.

UfanBill

Quote from: NED3Guy on September 01, 2018, 04:35:01 PM
Wow.... Anybody know where the crow buffet is? I gotta start eating my helping if crow.

Very surprised by the Union v Husson score. Will get info and report back.
Well NED3, I'll be happy to give my report. Union 30 - Husson 7. The Union's "new face on the field", #15 QB Will Bellamy was excellent.  You're so right Husson's #3 Solomon Hassen is a find but he's no John Smith.  TE #87 Aidan Hogan looks like this year's horse but he got injured in the 3rd and did not return. The Union D played as tough as I expected. Very proud of my Dutchmen and the Eagles...well it's a l-o-n-g bus ride back to Bangor. Good luck in the ECFC. 
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

NED3Guy

Thanks for the recap. Sounds like Union might have found an offensive identity. Hope they keep it up. Their new OC was in the ecfc, at Castleton, for the past few years. Seemed very well liked throughout the league....Worth noting that while he was busy helping guide Union to a 30 point outburst vs Husson; his old team got shutout vs Plymouth.... Not a good day for the Spartans. RB Harris did set the Castleton career rushing mark, despite being held in check for most of the day.

SUNY looked like they got off to a good start with their new head coach. Most impressive number from the box score is holding Maine Maritime to just 67 yards rushing on 36 attempts.

Sounds like Dean had a legit chance to win vs Curry... Seeing them allow 44 is a surprise, but they might be a team to keep an eye on come conference time.

Can't wait to see a few of these teams in person over the next month. Non conference games won't do much to tell us where everybody stacks up. Still looks like a Husson v SUNY conference until either CU or Dean do something to earn their way into that discussion.

NED3Guy

5-2 with my outcome picks last week (Husson and Gall U picks were wrong), but my thoughts on each game were pretty far off...hopefully I get redemption this time around:

Friday night- SUNY Maritime v Mass Maritime--> SUNY stays unbeaten vs their fellow Maritimers. 35-17
                   AMCATS vs Nichols ---> AMCATS played these guys tough last year. I think they get this one. AMCATS 28 to 21

Saturday-

West Conn v Dean is my pick for game of the week. While I think West Conn wins this one, I also think we will learn a lot about Dean in this game. Dean had Curry on the ropes last week and shot themselves in the foot multiple times in order to let Curry come away with the win. If Dean has learned a bit in the last week and can minimize those mental mistakes, I think this one heads to the fourth quarter much tighter than most expect. This is game 1 for West Conn, and they have arguably the biggest game of the year next week vs Plymouth (maybe the Framingham game is bigger?), either way I think they overlook a very athletic Dean team and get a little scare.... In the end, I think West Conn responds and wins 48-35

Gall U vs Greensboro---> Greensboro's only win came vs GU last year. I think Greensboro gets the W this time as well. Greensboro 35 - Gall U 21

Husson takes on first year program UNE in the non-NESCAC Maine D3 Championship Game. Husson is way too much for first year UNE, and puts one on them 55-14. Husson will use this game to find out what they have in the young RB from California. I suspect we're reading about him as ECFC Rookie of the week next Monday.

Castleton goes to Fitchburg----> Spartans didn't do much of anything vs a very strong Plymouth team. Fitchburg didn't so much of anything vs an even better Cortland squad. Both teams looking to bounce back from hard week 1 opponents. Despite past results, this one is a toss up. In the end, I'm going with the home team: Fitchburg 28-24.

Alfred State at Hartwick---> Tough matchup here. Hartwick won 45-0 last year, and I think this year it could be worse. 55-0 Hawks.

ccd494

Fun fact, that was Husson's first ever game against another team from Maine.

NED3Guy

Never any chatter on the ECFC board, but I'm gonna keep on keeping on and hope that maybe some fans of a few teams decide to chime in. Back when Norwich was in the league there were a few frequent posters who kept things fun. Between them and Ida being gone (RIP Mustang City) this board is a ghost town....

Anyways, some good games this week. Chances for the ECFC to make some noise in non league games:

Game of the week: Sorry Sap Bucket fans, but Husson v WNEC has to be the one. Husson and WNE both teams lost in week 1 to pretty good teams (Springfield and Union, who coincidentally play each other this weekend). Then both teams "rebounded" by beating significantly outmatched opponents (Westfield State and Univ Of New England). Two weeks in and nobody really knows what either of these teams are about. Husson's first chance to have some home cooking, and anybody who has ever been to Bangor knows that its a hard place to be a visitor...Husson 35 - WNE24

Friday night, SUNY plays Merchant Marine in yet another battle between seafaring merchants. Last year SUNY ruined USMMA's homecoming, tonight they get to host their rivals. Box scores have me thinking this might be a very good SUNY team....SUNY 42-31

Sap Bucket Game between Norwich and Castleton- Castleton is about to embark on what may be the easiest four game stretch in NCAA football this year, playing 4 teams who combined for just 6 wins between themselves last year; Norwich (1-9), Misericordia (1-9), Amcat University (1-9) and Gallaudet (3-6). It's homecoming for Norwich, and unlike Sparty, they know wins after this weekend will be very hard to come by....that makes this one a toss up, but the CU running back Harris is the best player on the field, so we'll say Spartans 28-24...but the real winner will be the State of Vermont; Every time I go there it gets harder to leave. I bet they put something to the water.

Interested in Dean v Salve. Gotta take my hat off to Dean for playing some tough teams to start the year. They will certainly be battle tested by the time ECFC play starts. I haven't followed Salve much this year, but think they have too much for Dean...hoping for a Dean win, as it would be HUGE for the program, but I think Salve takes it 41-28.

Other games-
Alfred State v Rocherster = One sided win for a rebuilding U of R team
AmCat U vs Curry = Curry starters resting by the third quarter
Gallaudet game got cancelled due to storm.

d3fan142511

Hope to be back posting soon with you NedGuy!! Tough when Ida is gone and the teams I played while at Mount Ida all leaving conference ....Becker, Norwich and Husson next year!

NED3Guy

Quote from: d3fan142511 on September 17, 2018, 10:07:35 PM
Hope to be back posting soon with you NedGuy!! Tough when Ida is gone and the teams I played while at Mount Ida all leaving conference ....Becker, Norwich and Husson next year!

You mean to tell me you're not a fan of Alfred State or Keystone College?

NED3Guy

Only three games with ECFC team involvement this weekend: Amcat U vs WNE(U/C), Alfred State vs Nichols and Dean vs Becker.

Amcats are in for a tough one as WNE is a bigger, stronger and faster team at every position. Honestly not sure why WNE is playing this game, but such is life at the D3 level in New England. WNE 55-10

Alfred State vs Nichols- Both teams played surprisingly tight games last week vs teams who (on paper) should have won by larger margins. Does that mean both these teams are better than we think? Or that their opponents last week are not as good as expected? Either way, this one is close with the home team (Nichols) winning late- 35-28

Dean v Becker is the game of the week. Last year Dean won 25-10. This year we expect Dean to come out and roll in this one, establishing themselves as an "upper half" team in the ECFC moving forward. Expect the Dean D to hold Becker in check....Dean 35-14

Looking ahead at conference play next week, here's our pre ECFC rankings-

1) Husson
2) SUNY
3) Dean
4) Castleton
5) Gall U
6) Alfred State
7) Amcat U

UfanBill

Just so you know Ned3, some of us are reading your stuff. Keep holding the fort for the ECFC  ;D
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

NED3Guy

Quote from: UfanBill on September 22, 2018, 03:00:07 AM
Just so you know Ned3, some of us are reading your stuff. Keep holding the fort for the ECFC  ;D

Thank Bill. Writing my weekly picks helps make the games a little more fun to follow from afar. Excited to see some league games this weekend. Nice to get the ECFC game of the year this right off the bat, when Husson travels down to NYC to face off with Maritime.

Should be a good one. Got some research to do before making a pick on this one....

ITH radio

Frank will cross the bridge to be at the SUNY-Husson game this Saturday so we'll have live coverage from that one on our Wk 5 recap show. Interesting to see that Husson's FY RB comes all the way from Crenshaw (Los Angeles). He's a long way from home, but a heck of a FB player.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle