MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

Congrats to all yesterday's winners. Jackets simply didn't play very well. W&L defended efffectively and the Jackets not so much. Missing shots that they might have made in Crenshaw was also a factor. Best part of the broadcast was listening to the interview with former Jackets coach Paul Webb. I enjoyed learning how he found Frank Kaminski, still probably the best player R-MC has ever had. When I was a freshman I got to see Kaminski play as a senior. Most interesting part was that Kaminski was to have gone to Penn State, but for some reason didn't, and was in limbo for a couple of years playing with a club team before Webb saw him play. The rest is history.

tigerfan

The Tigers played tough defense, but couldn't knock any shots down in the second half.  Guilford won it with hard work on the boards, forcing turnovers and picking up the tempo. The Quakers aren't the most talented bunch across the board, but they are quick and pesky, and Coach Palumbo gets everything he can out of them.  R-MC's coach did a great job with his team this year; they were an over-achieving bunch.  Uh oh, looks like Coach Macedo has got his guys picking it up in Salem again.  I figure most Tiger fans are now Wasp fans; David Willson has got a squad that looks like Tiger teams of old.  E&H has all the parts to win it all.  I'm expecting a VWC v E&H final. 

CMR

Quote from: hasanova on February 23, 2017, 09:27:21 PM
Quote from: CMR on February 23, 2017, 12:39:15 PM
RMC gets a good draw in the tourney.  Being on the opposite side from GC, HSC, and VWC is helpful.
... perhaps not as helpful as being opposite W&L.  Looks as though the Generals will face E&H if the last game score holds up.
Touche'  Not totally surprised, the Jackets often underperform in Salem.

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 24, 2017, 08:18:07 AM
Hasa

Congrats on the win and good luck in the next round. Watch out for E&H, they seem to be on a roll; what a job Coach Willson has done and in a very short period of time.
Thanks, tfa2.  E&H is tall and talented.  Quaker Nation doubleheader today in Salem!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

What's more, today's game might just be for a chance to host in the tournament as well.  With LaGrange in (and if Birmingham-Southern wins today) they're going to need a host within driving distance.  I'm pretty sure only the ODAC can provide it.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hasanova

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 26, 2017, 11:34:37 AM

What's more, today's game might just be for a chance to host in the tournament as well.  With LaGrange in (and if Birmingham-Southern wins today) they're going to need a host within driving distance.  I'm pretty sure only the ODAC can provide it.4
Final Guilford 64, E&H 54

I also think GC has a good chance to host, but so do the Quaker women if they win the nightcap.  Congratulations to the Quaker men, now 23-5.  GC women are 23-3 and are warming up for title game as I type.

Hope E&H gets an at-large at 20-8 ... iffy with 8 losses, but they're a fine team.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hasanova on February 26, 2017, 03:13:59 PM

What's more, today's game might just be for a chance to host in the tournament as well.  With LaGrange in (and if Birmingham-Southern wins today) they're going to need a host within driving distance.  I'm pretty sure only the ODAC can provide it.4

I also think GC has a good chance to host, but so do the Quaker women if they win the nightcap.  Congratulations to the Quaker men, now 23-5.  GC women are 23-3 and are warming up for title game as I type.

Hope E&H gets an at-large at 20-8 ... iffy with 8 losses, but they're a fine team.

Congratulations to GC. The women's teams have hosting preference for 1st and 2nd round games this year, so if the GC women win tonight they could get to host instead of the men depending on how the selection committees rate the strength of the men and women relative to the other teams in the mix.

hasanova

Quote from: y_jack_lok on February 26, 2017, 05:46:09 PM
Quote from: hasanova on February 26, 2017, 03:13:59 PM

Congratulations to GC. The women's teams have hosting preference for 1st and 2nd round games this year, so if the GC women win tonight they could get to host instead of the men depending on how the selection committees rate the strength of the men and women relative to the other teams in the mix.
Thanks for clarifying.  GC women defeat LC 59-53 and are now 24-3.

tigerFanAlso2

Hasa

Congrats and good luck in tourney. Make the odac proud !!!

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 27, 2017, 08:32:18 AM
Hasa

Thanks, tfa2.  Hoping for a good draw later today. 

hasanova

Quote from: hasanova on February 27, 2017, 10:16:21 AM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 27, 2017, 08:32:18 AM
Hasa

Thanks, tfa2.  Hoping for a good draw later today.
This week's 23rd ranked Guilford Quakers (23-5) draw the PAC's Thomas More Saints (22-6) at 7th ranked Marietta at 5 pm Friday.  The OAC champion Pioneers (24-4) face the Calvin Knights (17-10) from the MIAA at 7:30 pm.

tigerFanAlso2

hasa

Good luck. How do you feel about the pairing ? any knowledge of Thomas More ?

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 28, 2017, 11:58:22 AM
hasa

Good luck. How do you feel about the pairing ? any knowledge of Thomas More ?
Thanks.  No, not really, other than their record and schedule.  TMC is near Cincinnati, so I bet they will have more fans attending than GC.  I'd say a roughly equal chance to advance to Saturday, but Marietta is ranked and will be playing in front of a home crowd.  Not a terrible draw, but not great either.

hasanova

Final Guilford 74, Thomas More 54

Quakers jumped on the Saints from the start and never trailed.  12/23 on threes.  Another good defensive effort.  Marietta tomorrow with SRO crowd.

tigerFanAlso2

3 over achieving odac coaches ?
3 underachieving odac coaches ?

Coaches at GC & VWC continue to impress. Really have no other opinions as I stopped following b'ball years ago.