New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastguyoffthebench

Ranking Tufts 19th nationally is also a little harsh, just not sure how they will be slotted nationally if they are 3rd in the region.

Off Pitch

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on September 29, 2015, 10:33:30 AM

Definitely could see Bates cracking the top 10.  I could be overvaluing Gordon's W over ECSU, but I still see them getting ranked.

Kudos.  I was wrong about both Gordon and Wheaton (though I am much more surprised about Wheaton with 3 losses already).

Medicated Pete

??? anyone watching the Brandeis - Wheaton(MA) match...Is it a choppy stream or is my dial-up causing me issues :)

ECSUalum

ECSU with easy 2-0 win over Salem State!  Gibbs abd Jones with goals
Tufts extremely lucky to tie Wesleyan in Middletown!  2 Open goals attempts  missed by the Cardinals and a no call Tufts handball in the box !!!

ECSUalum

UMass Boston finally scores with 5' left in 2OT to defeat Bridgewater St and keep an unblemished record!!   Defenses were key on both sides and keepers made outstanding saves, however UMB had most of possession and corners.

Nice game going on in Worcester with Amherst and WPI locked in 1-1 tie with 15' left in regulation

Off Pitch

I have my spreadsheet from last year that closely replicated the "real" regional rankings at the end of the season.  For what its worth, here is the spreadsheet rankings with results through yesterday:

1.  Amherst
2.  Brandeis
3.  Tufts
4.  UMass-Boston
5.  Eastern Connecticut State
6.  MIT
7.  WPI
8.  Endicott
9.  Connecticut
10. Bates
11. Middlebury
12. Gordon
13. Babson
14. Wesleyan
15. Wheaton
16. Curry
17. Springfield

The major flaw in this analysis is that it assumes the same SOS as for last year for each team.

Mr.Right

Pretty accurate except the SOS will play a huge factor. MIT's schedule is pretty weak. I would bump everyone from Bates up a slot and stick MIT after Bates.

On another note, After watching WPI play its heart out against Amherst last night that team is the best team in NEWMAC and deserves to be in the NCAA's. I am impressed in how that Muhlenberg grad has improved this program. Malcom McPherson the former Part-time coach is still on the bench as his assistant. I am curious if WPI made this a Full time gig. Either way that team can compete with anyone in New England if it works like it did last night.

PaulNewman

After watching a good portion of UMass-Bos last night I think they may well prevail over ECSU but will struggle if and when they get to the real New England powerhouses....Amherst, Tufts, Brandeis, or an Oneonta or SLU-type team.  I'm guessing that their stars will get marked out and grow increasingly frustrated and eventually capitulate.

Mr.Right

I only caught about 10 minutes of that game but UMASS Boston has some very technical players but you are correct that against the top level New England teams like Amherst, Brandeis,Tufts and Midd they would be at a disadvantage with the physicality of those teams. The UMASS Boston v Babson game might give us a better idea but Babson is not a top 10 New England side this year.

ECSUalum

I watched both the Amherst-WPI and UMass Boston -Bridgewater games, concurrently, catching 90% of the latter.  Mr Right is correct in that UMB saw some big physical backs at BS who limited the degree of penetration of UMB forwards.  However, first year players Kenawy and Martinez teamed up on a drive where the BS keeper came out to far and Kenawy brilliantly chipped the ball over his head, in the box, only to have it bounce off the crossbar.  This combo together with  combos which includes Teixeira, Barbosa and Dasilva will be dangerous and will have to be marked closely and often, as they not only have the technical skill but are fast and quick. In addition these guys are not shy at taking a drive from 20-30 yrds out and do well on set pieces.  BS did a good job of muscling these guys off the ball w/o fouling most of the match!!

Lastly, I agree that UMB has the edge over ECSU after watching both teams most of the season. If Eastern can take a tip from the way BS played defense, (I am sure Coach DeVito was watching and ECSU does have good size in the back), they may have enough offense to slip in the winning goal.  BS forwards Filipe Gomes and Connor Murtaugh each had excellent chances last night, but were rejected after fantastic saves by UMB keeper Rosales.

I also think Bridgewater may surprise some people this year!!

Soccer Balls

UMB first year players Kenawy and Martinez-D1 Northeastern recruits/commits who enrolled at UMB. Most likely to get grades/scores up, though I don't know that for a fact

ECSUalum

Quote from: Soccer Balls on October 02, 2015, 09:48:23 AM
UMB first year players Kenawy and Martinez-D1 Northeastern recruits/commits who enrolled at UMB. Most likely to get grades/scores up, though I don't know that for a fact
Coach Beverlin has done some magic with his recruiting over the past couple of years!  Do you think Kenawy and Martinez will stay with the program for the next 3 yrs?  If so, and with the rest of the youngsters on this team, UMB is going to be nasty good for the foreseeable future!!

Mr.Right

At 0-6-2 Ainscough needs more help than these 2 players. I would bet 200 bananas Ainscough is not at Northeastern after this year and just focuses on the Bolts

Mr.Right

WOW...I was watching Midd v Colby and I tuned into the Bridgewater St v Framingham St match late in the second half. The minute I tune in Bridgewater st with its keeper in the box scores to tie the match 3-3 with about 30 seconds left. Great header goal but the defending by Framingham was horrendous

Mr.Right

Quote from: ECSUalum on October 01, 2015, 08:02:56 PM

I also think Bridgewater may surprise some people this year!!

I agree. They look to have some size and athleticism. Not a highly skilled team but they can possibly stay with good teams by sitting deep and countering. They lost 1-0 to Brandeis and still have to play Babson and Wheaton. The MASCAC is a one bid league but Bridgewater is clearly the best team in the league. If they do not get upset in the conference tournament and get into the NCAA's, they could be one of those mid-week play in games with the #1 or #2 overall seeds waiting for them. Hopefully, they can avoid that situation and get into a week-end pod. If they do they could cause a team some problems especially if they come ready to play and stay organized defensively.