WBB: Middle Atlantic Conference board archive

Started by delvalfan, July 13, 2005, 06:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saratoga

Makes a heck of a lot more sense for Stevens that's for sure.

They really had very little in common with the Empire 8.

Now their closest trip will be FDU at about 45 minutes as opposed to Hartwick at close to 4 hours.

Their furthest one will be to Wilkes at about 2.5 hours which I would think will be far easier than 5 plus to the Rochester/Buffalo area in the dead of winter.

sp0rtsfan

At least 3 players leaving FDU Devils to go join Mitchell at St. Peters...

bill

Sportsfan,

I'm not suggesting you are wrong about anyone leaving FDU - I'm too far removed from the program now to know. However, those ladies are willing to sit a year before playing? 
And better still - if they are good enough to play D1, why didn't FDU do better last year? ;D
Marc's a good recruiter - but if he's taking D3 players to fill out a D1 roster, he won't last long at D1 :)
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I agree with Bill... that is a big assumption that three players decided parking themselves for a year was worth doing. I don't fully doubt it as Mitchell has had some interesting recruiting success for years ... but that's still a tall task.

And nothing against most of those who played at FDU under Mitchell... I don't know many who would have played much in D1.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

St. Peter's is really at the bottom end of Division I, though.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

This is true ... I just don't know if a move like this makes sense or is worth it in the end.

It is also a risky move if you think about it. Mitchell can't use them this year and is already recruiting. Those players are betting Mitchell won't get anyone better in the next year to replace them... or the year after that. The team may seem like a place that has opportunities ... now, but if Mitchell is even remotely successful, those chances are going to be gone quickly. Also, Mitchell would be using scholarship spots for them. Basketball is full-ride only.

That really feels like a risky venture to me ... for both sides. I don't doubt Mitchell, especially with his ego, would want to have them come along with him ... but that doesn't sound like the smartest idea.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

He is going to have three upperclasswomen who know the system and can lead the freshmen and sophs he's bringing in now.  Even if they don't get a ton of minutes, he's getting to reward some of his players with scholarships and he's rounding out the leadership - presumably he's planning to change the culture significantly and this will help from a chemistry standpoint, even if they never see the floor.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on September 13, 2018, 10:14:53 AM

He is going to have three upperclasswomen who know the system and can lead the freshmen and sophs he's bringing in now.  Even if they don't get a ton of minutes, he's getting to reward some of his players with scholarships and he's rounding out the leadership - presumably he's planning to change the culture significantly and this will help from a chemistry standpoint, even if they never see the floor.

But would a student-athlete want to transfer up ... and not play? That doesn't seem like a win even with a scholarship in hand.

bill

That siren song must be strong!

Gabrielle and Kendra - definitely two of FDU's best players - are listed on the St. Peters roster already. Both played at least two years in college already.
Neither one played at the DI version of FDU - a team that St Peter's will play...and St Peter's has won a grand total of 7 games the past two years. They're transferring from a D3 school - which is now a perennial NCAA tournament team -  to a team that wins as often as FDU loses!
I won't even mention the academics...but they can always say they were on a D1 basketball team, even if it was for one year and no scholarship :)
Maybe with the 5 years to play 4 seasons rule they might be able to play a second season there...but again, if Marc hasn't recruited their replacements by then, he's in big trouble!

Please note - this is not an attack on Marc...I worked with him for years and want to see him successful! I'm just surprised that D3 ladies ended up switching schools along the way. Just hope this is in THEIR best interests.
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on September 13, 2018, 12:34:13 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on September 13, 2018, 10:14:53 AM

But would a student-athlete want to transfer up ... and not play? That doesn't seem like a win even with a scholarship in hand.

I'm sure they've got a chance to earn minutes like everyone else.  I'm just saying from the coach's perspective, there's not a lot of downside.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I get it Ryan ... I just with Bill on this one ... I am not sure this has the student's best interests in mind. We shall see.

In the meantime, FDU will fall a bit I am sure.

kate

Does practice start today?   Was pretty sure that it did - Good luck and stay healthy to our Delaware Valley University Lady Aggies!  See you all next month!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yep. Oct. 15 timeline for practices has not changed ... unless a school, conference, or otherwise decides to start later.

kate

Thanks Dave - was pretty sure that it did.   It seems like an early start to the season, too.   Del Val plays on Saturday, Nov. 10th.   Not that i'm complaining mind you!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yes... the start of the season has changed. Games now can begin as early as Nov. 8, BUT to get that passed by DIII there couldn't move the practice date up. That would have killed the proposal before it had a chance (presidents would have shut that down fast).

I'm a little surprised Nov. 8 passed as easily as it did. I felt more would like "two Fridays before Thanksgiving" than Nov. 8 hard date.

Anyway.. season now starts Nov. 8 ... though, there won't be as many games this year to be played prior to Nov. 15 because the bill was passed last January and schedules were set. Moving forward, there may be more games. Personally, I hope the week between the 8th and 15th is more of a slow build up to the season.