MBB: General Mid-Atlantic Conversation

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, December 11, 2013, 10:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clutch

mailsy

Since this is going to be the last year that Cabrini and the CSAC are in the Mid-Atlantic Region. As a current member I wanted to wish all my fellow Mid-Atlantic posters and followers a Safe, Happy and Merry Christmas!! :)
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

kate

Mailsy, Merry Christmas to you!  Where will Cabrini and the CSAC be moving to?  I REALLy need someone to talk basketball with!  Thought I kept up, but apparently - NOT!

mailsy

There are a two conferences moving to the Atlantic Region from the Mid-Atlantic in 2014-15 . CSAC and MAC Freedom.
Here is the link  http://www.d3sports.com/notables/2013/02/regional-realignment-coming

kate

Mailsy, Than You!  Don't know how this Major turn of events escaped me, but at least our two conferences are together.  Seems strange to segregate the Commonwealth though - have to go back & re-read the whole thing.  Thanks again!

kate

Strange thought just hit me - will we still be called the MAC, or the "AC" - noooooo!

mailsy

Kate,

Your right just thought of that.  :D

ronk

Kate,
  They'll never find you(MAC-F) in the Atlantic region. It was a nice 100 years while it lasted. >:(

kate

Good morning, Ronk - it's just maddening that the powers that be would be trying to dilute D3 sports that will always be so near and dear to my heart.  First the very formation of the Landmark (like-minded  :(), and now this whole conference realignment possibility.  We've been following D3, specifically Del Val for 17 years now, and had just begin to notice in the past couple of years a real uptick in attendance and general buzz.  Now this - maybe they'll change their minds - I CERTAINLY hope so!

Clutch

Keep Calm thinking it will work out in the end.

CCHoopster

Well Dickinson looks like a buzz saw. Running over good teams at home, on the road, in region and out of region. The Devils have beaten athletic teams who play at crazy fast tempos and teams that are methodical, fundamental and play a grind you out game. They may not lose for a while.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: kate on December 26, 2013, 10:16:17 AM
Good morning, Ronk - it's just maddening that the powers that be would be trying to dilute D3 sports that will always be so near and dear to my heart.  First the very formation of the Landmark (like-minded  :(), and now this whole conference realignment possibility.  We've been following D3, specifically Del Val for 17 years now, and had just begin to notice in the past couple of years a real uptick in attendance and general buzz.  Now this - maybe they'll change their minds - I CERTAINLY hope so!

First off... this isn't a possibility... it is happening next year. Second... the NCAA had to do something to even regions out. The East and the Atlantic Regions are badly under-populated with teams and moving the MAC Freedom and the CSAC makes sense. Those conferences are actually closer to Atlantic Region teams than Mid-Atlantic and splitting the MAC conferences into different regions helps give them better chances to shine. Furthermore, we have an imbalance with some men's and women's conferences actually represented in different regions in the same sport. This balances those problems and makes regional rankings and ultimately at-large selections more even in terms of teams being considered at the "table."

I disagree this dilutes the game or the division and new conferences doesn't do it either. There is always change and to expect everything to stay status quo is naive. And to not like the creation of the Landmark due to like-minded institutions ignores the fact the NESCAC, Centennial, MIAC and many conferences in the history of not only Division III but all divisions (i.e. the initial creation of the Big East) have been created completely on that basis. Heck, conferences like the SUNYAC, WIAC, MASCAC, and NJAC are conferences created by like-minded state schools.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Charles

Quote from: CCHoopster on December 28, 2013, 11:26:58 PM
Well Dickinson looks like a buzz saw. Running over good teams at home, on the road, in region and out of region. The Devils have beaten athletic teams who play at crazy fast tempos and teams that are methodical, fundamental and play a grind you out game. They may not lose for a while.
well the jinx is alive.

Reserved Seat

It's never good to say someone's playing well, because they'll prove you wrong.

kate

All easy for you to say, Dave - you guys stay in the mid Atlantic, except you are connected to Stevenson - right?   As for "like minded", it's fine for state schools that have pretty much the same athletic rules regarding eligibility and scholarships, but for small private colleges & small state schools, I just find it odd.  I'm not for a second trying to diminish D3 sports, but come on, we only wish they generated the attendance & finances of the big guys.  I'm thrilled when great athletes choose to attend our small d3 institutions - just don't like it one bit when some of them start feeling "different", or downright pious, cause, really no one is.