2014 D3 Season: National Perspective

Started by PaulNewman, August 24, 2014, 02:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3soccerwatcher

Quote from: Mr.Right on January 09, 2015, 02:51:08 PM
Quote from: soccerfan111 on January 09, 2015, 01:26:52 PM
Mr. Right, I bet you didn't see this one coming.

http://athletics.gordon.edu/news/2015/1/9/MSOC_0109151255.aspx?path=msoc

No I did not but makes a ton of sense even if it is kinda a step side/down. Maybe he was promised additional duties like waxing Brandt's car and getting Halloween candy. 2 ways of looking at this....1. Pottegeir the young aggressor feels his talents are better than Gordon and to get a real good D1 or top D3 gig he needs to go back to D1 Assistant. or he is giving up on the fact of making Gordon into one of these right wing soccer stud bible thumpin schools......

Mr. Right - Your opinion on Potteiger is so far from reality it's ridiculous.  He's not even leaving Gordon.  Try to keep up if you can.

Also that's a lot of adjectives for you..."right wing soccer stud bible thumpin" - curious which schools you are describing there.

4231CenterBack

I'm not privy to how much of a raise it was but it was stated to be really good money for an associate head coach.  Since Brandt was within days of taking the Pittsburgh pro job, I think a lot if people believe he is getting the "itch" again possibly having reached a ceiling at navy.

Very happy it's all moot with Potteiger staying.  We'll see if he can continue moving Gordon towards being one of those right wing bible thumping powerhouses that have dominated d3 soccer over the years. 

Corazon

Curious if anyone here attended the NSCAA convention in Philadelphia and if so, how was it?  Is it worth attending, even if you're not a coach but just want to learn more about the game?  THe list of speakers was really impressive and included Pele, Sir Alex Ferguson and many other interesting names.  This has been on my list of possible to dos.

Mr.Right

BREAKING NEWS:

Potteiger returns to Gordon. It must have been God's will

D3soccerwatcher

Quote from: Mr.Right on January 19, 2015, 06:51:48 PM
BREAKING NEWS:

Potteiger returns to Gordon. It must have been God's will

More like...YESTERDAY'S NEWS 

You are a day late and a dollar short.

Corazon

Quote from: Brother Flounder on January 06, 2015, 05:10:58 PM
I agree with the prior comments that "And a lot of it comes down to the motivation of the player to make the sacrifices it takes to make a go of it versus getting on with life and another career.  And many things factor into that decision, not just one's chances of being successful as a pro player..." IMHO, I really believe that a handful of D3 players each year can eventually make an MLS roster but succomb to the foregoing or have some kind of stigma by MLS personal because they played D3.  Talentwise there are a select few.  One thing I can say is that I have seen many D3 players that are better than some D1 players......

I agree with your comment re many D3 players being better than some of the lower tier D1 players. I have to believe this dynamic is much more prevalent in soccer than in other sports, and I believe it is because there is so little money in the USA for soccer - both scholarship money, as well as a path to the professional game.  If I posted this comment in a non-D3 forum, a bunch of people would be jumping down my throat saying it is because sour grapes, my kid can't play, etc.  Bu the reality is, we looked for the best fit college-wise for my kid(s) - only one is a serious soccer player, and the soccer equation was only one factor, along with his major, location, an academic fit.

Brother Flounder

Quote from: Corazon on January 20, 2015, 09:00:58 AM
I agree with the prior comments that "And a lot of it comes down to the motivation of the player to make the sacrifices it takes to make a go of it versus getting on with life and another career.  And many things factor into that decision, not just one's chances of being successful as a pro player..." IMHO, I really believe that a handful of D3 players each year can eventually make an MLS roster but succomb to the foregoing or have some kind of stigma by MLS personal because they played D3.  Talentwise there are a select few.  One thing I can say is that I have seen many D3 players that are better than some D1 players......

I agree with your comment re many D3 players being better than some of the lower tier D1 players. I have to believe this dynamic is much more prevalent in soccer than in other sports, and I believe it is because there is so little money in the USA for soccer - both scholarship money, as well as a path to the professional game.  If I posted this comment in a non-D3 forum, a bunch of people would be jumping down my throat saying it is because sour grapes, my kid can't play, etc.  Bu the reality is, we looked for the best fit college-wise for my kid(s) - only one is a serious soccer player, and the soccer equation was only one factor, along with his major, location, an academic fit.

You hit it on the head. I think what also comes into play is that soccer players don't have to be big (weight and/or height) so that limitation does not exist like in other D! sports (i.e. football and basketball)

Brother Flounder

Quote from: Brother Flounder on January 20, 2015, 01:07:58 PM

You hit it on the head. I think what also comes into play is that soccer players don't have to be big (weight and/or height) so that limitation does not exist like in other D! sports (i.e. football and basketball)

Can the same be said for lacrosse?

Nutmeg

Quote from: Brother Flounder on January 20, 2015, 01:07:58 PM

Both excellent points!