BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScotsFan

Quote from: cwru70 on March 10, 2007, 08:16:45 AM
In maybe the biggest mismatch since Thermopylae, Otterbein hosts the 16 Spartans of Case Western Reserve (that's the toal of the squad) today in a DH.
Well, considering Case only had 16 players dressed for this DH vs. the preseason #1 team in the country, it has to be considered a pretty signifcant upset that Case was able to gain a split of the DH.  After losing to AA Dan Remenowski and co. 5-1 in the 1st game, Case rallied to upset Ott 9-7 in the nightcap!  Congrats to the Spartans on the upset!

Funny thing.  I had just read Ott's season preview on their homepage before checking out their schedule.  Here's a quote from Ott's coach regarding the Cards garnering the preseason #1 ranking:

Quote"If somebody has to bear the burden of being the preseason No. 1, let it be us," said eighth-year head coach George Powell. "We were always fighting to get the respect and now that we've gotten it, it's a motivating source. Our players know the target is on us."

Guess it wasn't motivating enough to sweep a DH from a totally overmatched Case Western?!

mideastfan

Marietta took care of business yesterday, sweeping Tx-Dallas and McMurry in the Abilene Classic.  They improve to 5-0 on the year and have 5 games remaining on their Texas spring trip.

countyroad

Being that I'm living in Columbus now and not Wooster my most likely chance to see them play is at Otterbein. I'm looking forward to that game.  Should be a good one. I hope to seen Otterbein play quite a bit now. I like a good baseball game.

Spence

Hey B-Rah, nice to see someone else representing on here.

Marietta's now 10-3 following a very challenging southern schedule in which practically every game was against at least a decent ballclub. We split against the best one, NAIA ranked Texas Wesleyan, playing two very close low-scoring ballgames. The VERY young pitching staff has allowed only 10 runs in their last 5 games.

Next up is Brockport State, annually one of the better teams in the New York region and owner of last week's pitcher of the week nationally.

Gimme

Etta Express is good this year.  Otterbein will get everything together and we will see one helluva OAC tournament championship.

Spence

Hey someone else on the board lol...

I hope you're right. I listened to the Denison game on the web and it sounded like we didn't play very well offensively. Muskingum is 14-1 and a few other teams have put together solid starts, so it looks like there's decent competition in the conference.

Spence

Marietta-Otterbein on the radio.

http://pioneers.marietta.edu/onlinebroadcasts.html

30 degrees, gusts to 30mph blowing out. Otterbein has their top two going. Marietta searching for reliable pitching.

Johnny and Mark are on the radio.

Edit: Otterbein won game 1, 16-3.

Spence

Edit: Marietta 8, Otterbein 5 in the back end. Big pitching performance by TJ Knowlton. Otterbein still got several bloop hits but nothing came of most of them. Tyler Penwell finished up and gave up the two inherited runs and one of his own, but never faced the lead run.

Otterbein's 3-1 in the league, Marietta 2-2.

WLCALUM83

Final just in:  Denison 3, Muskingum 2 (10 innings)

Spence

Thanks...sounds like a dandy between a couple of pretty decent teams.

Spence

Marietta drops the first game of their doubleheader against Capital, 7-4. TJ Knowlton pitched pretty well as the starter but the freshman-filled bullpen couldn't hold it. Offensively Marietta still has no luck at all...hitting numerous line drives right at fielders, particularly in the late innings.

Marietta takes the second game, 4-3. Justin Merryman goes the distance, ending it in dramatic fashion, as Capital leaves the bases loaded in the 7th and Merryman records the last out on a K looking.

Marietta's 15-7, 3-3; Capital 9-12, 3-3.

Spence

Marietta gets a much-needed doubleheader sweep with 1-0 and 4-1 wins at Ohio Northern.

The game was played in winds of up to 45 mph with sustained winds near 30. Marietta had 1 hit in the first game but took advantage of 3 ONU errors in one inning to scratch a run. MC strung together several hits in the 7th of the second game to score all 4 runs in the last frame.

Nate Eschbaugh and T.J. Knowlton your complete game winning pitchers.

Back at it tomorrow with MC baseball community day against Mount Union. Let's hope for a nice day, a good crowd and two Etta Express wins.

Spence

Other OAC results

Capital splits with Otterbein; winning 12-10 and losing 10-6. That breaks a 13 game losing streak to OTT for the Crusaders. Been some week for them.

HEID and WILM split, HEID winning 16-2 then losing 17-5.

HEID and OTT are now 6-2, leading the conference. JCU is 5-2, Marietta 5-3. Capital 4-4, Baldwin-Wallace 3-3.

I think pretty much everyone plays tomorrow.

mideastfan

Marietta takes both games from Mount today, coming from behind to score 2 runs in the bottom of the 7th in game two. The top of the OAC now stands at:

Ott 8-2
Heid 7-2
Mar 7-3
BW 7-3
JCU 5-4

Marietta still has doubleheaders with Heid, BW, and JCU to come. Should be a great last few weeks leading up to the OAC tourny.

Spence

Beat me to it. One correction though, B-W is 3-5, but Capital is 6-4 after a stupendous comeback from 12-2 down in the second game against Muskingum.

Capital is really starting to develop some momentum. They've won 4 of 6 against Marietta, Otterbein and Muskingum. They were losing close games consistently, now they're starting to win some of them.

Four runs allowed the last 4 games for Marietta. Merryman allowed 1 on 4 hits and K'ed 7, while a combined effort got the job done in the second.

You can tell we're getting close to May because Ryan Eschbaugh's starting to lock it in. Seems like every year we try to take his spot away from him in March because he's hitting his weight and by May you can't budge him. The team is developing some depth in the lineup as well.

If we can get Baumler back healthy (and today was a good sign in that regard, the 1 inning was planned according to Chris Wharff), I think this is a pretty good team right now, for all their struggles. Could use a little more offense for sure, but I think there are enough options there that all of the experimenting Brewer and Deegs are doing will eventually pay off.