BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dixon

Quote from: BigPoppa on March 20, 2018, 10:43:42 AM
http://www.d3baseball.com/top25/2018/2018Top25-week-4

North Central took a massive nosedive in this week's poll. IWU got a few vote, but not enough to break into the Top 25.

I thought Carthage would get a vote or two this week, but not even a sniff for the Redmen who are 10-2 (10-1 vs D3 teams).

I'll make sure they are on the short list.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Jim Dixon on March 20, 2018, 10:56:48 AM
Quote from: BigPoppa on March 20, 2018, 10:43:42 AM
http://www.d3baseball.com/top25/2018/2018Top25-week-4

North Central took a massive nosedive in this week's poll. IWU got a few vote, but not enough to break into the Top 25.

I thought Carthage would get a vote or two this week, but not even a sniff for the Redmen who are 10-2 (10-1 vs D3 teams).

I'll make sure they are on the short list.

Granted, they have not truly beaten anyone worth noting, but wins are wins. I think they can legitimately make a run to 14-2/13-3 heading into CCIW play... As an obsessed Redmen alum, I have "watched" almost every inning to this point via live stats when available.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

mwunder

Quote from: BigPoppa on March 20, 2018, 11:08:49 AM
Granted, they have not truly beaten anyone worth noting, but wins are wins. I think they can legitimately make a run to 14-2/13-3 heading into CCIW play... As an obsessed Redmen alum, I have "watched" almost every inning to this point via live stats when available.

No one in the CCIW has beat "anyone" this season accept Wheaton who beat a ranked (at the time) Birmingham Southern team in February.

Mr. Ypsi

BP, alas, IWU's 2 points most probably do not even represent 2 votes, much less a few - the most probably scenario would be a single voter who had them 24th.  A 'big showdown' ::) looming this weekend when IWU travels to St. Louis for three games against WashU - they had THREE points in the poll! ;)

mwunder

Quote from: mwunder on March 20, 2018, 03:46:27 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on March 20, 2018, 11:08:49 AM

No one in the CCIW has beat "anyone" this season accept Wheaton who beat a ranked (at the time) Birmingham Southern team in February.

And North Central beating #7 Wooster today....

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

mwunder

Wow...NC scores 7 of their 8 9th inning runs after 2 outs to win this one.  Single, ground out, E (runners to 1st and 3rd), single scores 1, ground out, W, W, W, Strike-out reaches passed ball (would have ended the game).  Grand slam.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: mwunder on March 20, 2018, 03:59:31 PM
Wow...NC scores 7 of their 8 9th inning runs after 2 outs to win this one.  Single, ground out, E (runners to 1st and 3rd), single scores 1, ground out, W, W, W, Strike-out reaches passed ball (would have ended the game).  Grand slam.
Wow!!!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 20, 2018, 08:20:24 PM
Wow!!!

From the looks of it, that just added a dramatic BOOM!!  The Wooster bullpen (and catcher, etc.) would have eventually let in the winning run anyway!

Walks and errors are why all managers (coaches, in college) have grey hair! ;D

mwunder

Actually, looking a little closer, I believe the strike-out, passed ball would have left the game tied.  A run scored on that play to put NCC up 1 and the grand slam bumped the final margin to 5.

mr_b

North Park dropped a close 2-0 decision to 6th-ranked Concordia Chicago.  The Vikings had the tying run on second in the bottom of the ninth but could not come up with a clutch hit.  Matt Pizur  yielded only one earned run in his second straight complete-game effort.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 20, 2018, 03:55:22 PM
Congratulations to NPU sophomore Matt Pizur upon being named CCIW Pitcher of the Week for his complete-game three-hit shutout of Wisconsin Lutheran last week. Pizur did not allow a walk in the game while striking out three, and he lowered his ERA to 1.78 and his OBA to .188 in the process.

I must have missed the memo that I'm the designated mouthpiece when a Titan wins an award! :P

Gino Cavalieri was this week's Player of the Week, having a very consistent output: 3 hits in each and every one of their five Florida games, and compiling a 1.593 OPS.

BTW, anyone know what sort of a set-up Auburndale FLA is?  I saw posts about games there on several other boards, and not one of the teams referenced were any of the six teams we played there.  I'm guessing that must be one helluva complex - maybe 6+ diamonds?  Maybe a combo spring-training facility for two or more MLB teams, plus the home of two or more minor-league teams?

EDIT:  Found SOME info.  The Lake Myrtle Sports Complex (Auburndale) has eleven soccer fields and nine baseball diamonds!  No indication of how they stay solvent most of the year - nothing about minor league or major league baseball usage (the site had a lot about Tigers baseball, but although Winter Haven is right next door, this complex is NOT Joker Marchant stadium [the Tigers spring-training facility]; I'd assume it is not used by any MLB team, if the Tigers were the only team talked about).  What I saw gave no indication, but I assume it most be a governmental rather than a commercial facility - seems awfully ambitious for a town of 15,000 people!  Surely they can't justify it on the basis of northern schools' spring break trips!  And that's a helluva lotta fields and diamonds for area hs teams!  I surrender! :o

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 22, 2018, 09:05:05 PM
Congratulations to NPU sophomore Matt Pizur upon being named CCIW Pitcher of the Week for his complete-game three-hit shutout of Wisconsin Lutheran last week. Pizur did not allow a walk in the game while striking out three, and he lowered his ERA to 1.78 and his OBA to .188 in the process.

I must have missed the memo that I'm the designated mouthpiece when a Titan wins an award! :P

Gino Cavalieri was this week's Player of the Week, having a very consistent output: 3 hits in each and every one of their five Florida games, and compiling a 1.593 OPS.

BTW, anyone know what sort of a set-up Auburndale FLA is?  I saw posts about games there on several other boards, and not one of the teams referenced were any of the six teams we played there.  I'm guessing that must be one helluva complex - maybe 6+ diamonds?  Maybe a combo spring-training facility for two or more MLB teams, plus the home of two or more minor-league teams?

EDIT:  Found SOME info.  The Lake Myrtle Sports Complex (Auburndale) has eleven soccer fields and nine baseball diamonds!  No indication of how they stay solvent most of the year - nothing about minor league or major league baseball usage (the site had a lot about Tigers baseball, but although Winter Haven is right next door, this complex is NOT Joker Marchant stadium [the Tigers spring-training facility]; I'd assume it is not used by any MLB team, if the Tigers were the only team talked about).  What I saw gave no indication, but I assume it most be a governmental rather than a commercial facility - seems awfully ambitious for a town of 15,000 people!  Surely they can't justify it on the basis of northern schools' spring break trips!  And that's a helluva lotta fields and diamonds for area hs teams! I surrender! :o
Those fields may also be used by club and travel teams thruout the year.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 22, 2018, 10:58:27 PM

EDIT:  Found SOME info.  The Lake Myrtle Sports Complex (Auburndale) has eleven soccer fields and nine baseball diamonds!  No indication of how they stay solvent most of the year - nothing about minor league or major league baseball usage (the site had a lot about Tigers baseball, but although Winter Haven is right next door, this complex is NOT Joker Marchant stadium [the Tigers spring-training facility]; I'd assume it is not used by any MLB team, if the Tigers were the only team talked about).  What I saw gave no indication, but I assume it most be a governmental rather than a commercial facility - seems awfully ambitious for a town of 15,000 people!  Surely they can't justify it on the basis of northern schools' spring break trips!  And that's a helluva lotta fields and diamonds for area hs teams! I surrender! :o

Probably so (though does anyone do outdoor baseball or soccer in a Florida summer?), but where is the revenue?  Spring break college teams bring in motel and restaurant dollars.   What do club and travel teams bring in?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 22, 2018, 11:12:22 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 22, 2018, 10:58:27 PM

Probably so (though does anyone do outdoor baseball or soccer in a Florida summer?), but where is the revenue?  Spring break college teams bring in motel and restaurant dollars.   What do club and travel teams bring in?
According to my kids, as they haul grandkids around the country, the families have to stay someplace.  In the affluent suburbs of Dallas Ft Worth, that also includes travel hockey to Denver, Detroit and MSP.

Travel ball can get very expensive.