FB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

79jaybird

WLCAlum83-- many schools have to deal with competition with recruits.
Around WILutheran  you have the WIAC schools, Carroll, Ripon, Marian, Beloit, and Carthage. Going South you also have Lake Forest and TIU-Deefield.
Elmhurst has to compete with the CCIW, Lake Forest, CURF, Dominican, etc.  so I guess my point is just that there is competition for talent everywhere you look.
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

WLCALUM83

79 jaybird--sorry if something I wrote was misconstrued. I hadn't intended to give the impression I was disputing the reporter on recruiting--I only indicated I didn't know enough about Tri-State's recruiting specifics..

Trailer Dog

Quote from: wabco on September 29, 2006, 02:20:22 PM
Have you guys seen today's Grand Rapids Press sports p[age article entitled "Oldie, but not a goodie" by Howie Beardsley?  (grpress.com)

He really takes some shots at the MIAA.  I do not agree with his conclusion, although I do agree that recent out of conference experience has not been exemplary.  It will make it harder to recruit in Western Michigan ... if anytone really in fact reads the GR Press ... and Oldie and not necessarily a goodie.

Comments?

Okay.....I know Calvin does not have football but this point was made on the XC board.

Calvin's Mens Cross Country is ranked #1 in NCAA D3, they have been in the top-2 at the NCAAs 7 of the past 8 years. 

Take a look at the Calvin XC roster.....only FOUR runners are from Michigan. 

If the MIAA only pulls football players from Michigan they will continue to lose non-MIAA games......and do ZERO damage in the NCAA playoffs.  Sure, the D2 teams do take too many athletes but Calvin does not get their top runners from GR, or even Michigan.  GVSU is almost as good in XC as they are in football.....the top-2 female Xian school runners went to GVSU this fall, and Calvin's women are ranked 6th in D3.

Grutte Dirk

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on September 29, 2006, 02:47:15 PM

Show me a conference that's never had a "down stretch" and I'll show you some land I've got for sale in Mississippi. (I guess by this writer's definition it's the MIAA's turn to be down).

::) :-X

"down stretch" ... MIAA's turn ... good night, they're in a turnstile, taking turn after turn:

MIAA in the NCAA --

Five wins
Fifteen losses

Britons win one in 1993 and four in 1994

-- we suck
Bûter, brea en griene tsiis; wa't dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries.

dc_has_been

Has any of the MIAA schools from Michigan ever had a strong recruit base outside the state? 
"If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."
Will Rogers
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."
Mike Ditka

Trailer Dog

Quote from: dc_has_been on September 30, 2006, 01:46:52 AM
Have any of the MIAA schools from Michigan ever had a strong recruiting base outside the state? 

Are you writing about ONLY football recruiting?

WLCALUM83

Quote from: Bilk on September 30, 2006, 12:45:50 AM
Quote from: WLCALUM83 on September 29, 2006, 02:47:15 PM

Show me a conference that's never had a "down stretch" and I'll show you some land I've got for sale in Mississippi. (I guess by this writer's definition it's the MIAA's turn to be down).

::) :-X

"down stretch" ... MIAA's turn ... good night, they're in a turnstile, taking turn after turn:

MIAA in the NCAA --

Five wins
Fifteen losses

Britons win one in 1993 and four in 1994

-- we suck

You got me on that one. If things work out right with today's games, I plan to eat a lot of crow anyway. :-[ ;) 8)

formerd3db

Quote from: dc_has_been on September 30, 2006, 01:46:52 AM
Has any of the MIAA schools from Michigan ever had a strong recruit base outside the state? 

dc:

"Way back in my day", Hope used to have a very strong recruiting base from the NY, NJ area for football student-athletes due to the association of the school with the Reformed Church in America and the strong Dutch familty heritage out that way; some of it was also due to alumni.  We had a fairly good contingent of players on the roster, some very good all-conf players who could play on some of the top tier DIII (and some DII) teams.  However, in the last decade and more, that has declined much - I'm not sure why (I haven't actually inquired about this particular aspect).  As you can see, like most of the other MIAA schools, the majority of players are from MI - alot from around the west side of the state; also "hot bed" areas from various high schools crop up where a group of players go to Hope up from time to time, but that seems to change also.

Olivet, in the mid-'90's went to the trend (like Defiance and some of the DIII Iowa schools did) of recruiting alot from Florida, however, that trend has pretty much died out.  It's a long way for young men to go for a DIII school, different climate, etc., and also since a few more DIII programs have been established in the south. (i.e. talking only NCAA programs, not forgetting about the NAIA programs in TN, KY, GA areas, etc.).
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

formerd3db

Addendum:

Adrian pulls a few players from the Ohio area (in your DC's and Toledo area), however, again, most from MI.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

79jaybird

When I played at Elmhurst (1999) I would say 1/3 of our team was from Florida and the rest were from the urban IHSA schools in IL.  While these Floridians were very talented, I often wondered why Augie/MIllikin/IWU were focusing on the Chicago area, and EC was not.  Times have changed and now almost all of our recruits are from the Chicago area/suburban schools.
We do have 4 players from Michigan most notably our QB Mike LaFleur (Mt. Pleasant) and our starting WR Blake Veldhuis  (also Mt. Pleasant)
WLCAlum83-- I see I missed your point, my apologies and I agree with your point now.
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

WLCALUM83

Quote from: 79jaybird on September 30, 2006, 10:29:08 AM
When I played at Elmhurst (1999) I would say 1/3 of our team was from Florida and the rest were from the urban IHSA schools in IL.  While these Floridians were very talented, I often wondered why Augie/MIllikin/IWU were focusing on the Chicago area, and EC was not.  Times have changed and now almost all of our recruits are from the Chicago area/suburban schools.
We do have 4 players from Michigan most notably our QB Mike LaFleur (Mt. Pleasant) and our starting WR Blake Veldhuis  (also Mt. Pleasant)
WLCAlum83-- I see I missed your point, my apologies and I agree with your point now.

I accept.

WLCALUM83

Tri-State vs. Alma coming up shortly.

WLCALUM83

5:30 left in 1st Qrtr:  Alma 7, Tri-State 0. (The Thunder already have lost 1 turnover).

dc_has_been

When I was at Defiance we did have a lot of players from Flordia.  We used to tell trick them & tell them to watch out for snow snakes b/c they were very poisonous. :D
Trailer dog- yes i'm talkiing about football only.  Sorry I wasn't specific enough earlier.
"If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."
Will Rogers
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."
Mike Ditka

WLCALUM83

End of 1st:  Alma 14, Tri-State 0. (Brehm to Cline long pass complete for TD.)
  Thunder able to move ball on first 2 possessions, after that--all Alma--to this point.