D3 vs. NAIA

Started by Ralph Turner, August 28, 2005, 10:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hazzben

Northwestern College wins the NAIA title. Iowa has produced a ton of really good small college football the last few years. NWC, Morningside, Central, Grandview, and Wartburg have all made the semifinals or won titles. It'd be fascinating to see how they shook out if they played across divisions.

QC Life

Quote from: hazzben on December 17, 2022, 11:39:33 PM
Northwestern College wins the NAIA title. Iowa has produced a ton of really good small college football the last few years. NWC, Morningside, Central, Grandview, and Wartburg have all made the semifinals or won titles. It'd be fascinating to see how they shook out if they played across divisions.
Iowa's small college football has been great the last few years.
(Division I, not so much...)
There are some really intriguing potential matchups.... NW vs Central, Grand View vs Wartburg....
Wish there was room in the schedules for that.
I know this is the football board, but I'd also love to see Grand View and Wartburg meet in wrestling.

Ron Boerger

There's room in the schedules, but the NCAA disincentivizes cross-division play as those results are basically ignored when playoff selection time comes.  All other things being equal, having one less win (vs. D3) on the schedule could actually hurt.

doolittledog

Quote from: Ron Boerger on March 24, 2023, 08:34:43 AM
There's room in the schedules, but the NCAA disincentivizes cross-division play as those results are basically ignored when playoff selection time comes.  All other things being equal, having one less win (vs. D3) on the schedule could actually hurt.

In the case of the ARC, almost always a one bid league.  So win the conference and you are in.  Finish 2nd and you stay home.  So maybe these schools could schedule against the NAIA and just take care of business in the conference.  But, there is the chance you could get 2 schools in, and there are plenty of D3 schools in IA, MN, WI, IL you can schedule so unlikely to happen.   
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

sjujohnnie

Morningside lost to #1 Northwestern  last weekend 34-20 on the road. That ended their 78 game winning streak against conference opponents in the regular season which dated back to 2013. They just lost at home 28-24 against Dordt. No clue when they last lost two in a row!