Top 25 talk

Started by Lurker, March 23, 2005, 09:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: nescac1 on December 29, 2016, 10:19:48 PM
Tell you what: considering that Williams has lost three titles games to WIAC teams, two on the final possession, I'll happily endorse a double round robin for NESCAC in exchange for WIAC's departure!

And as a CCIW guy, I'd happily endorse your suggestion! ;D

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

FYI - the "NCAA" mandating the NESCAC (or any conference) play a double-round-robin play is actually the schools/programs of Division III mandating it. Remember, Indy does nothing that the schools, presidents, committees made up of Division III institutions don't mandate themselves. Indy just carries out what has been voted on/approved accordingly. You would think that there would be enough numbers to force that kind of decision on one conference ... but at the same time, presidents, ADs, conference commissioners are very aware that one model doesn't work for everyone and thus will not force things like this or roster restrictions (enrollment restrictions).

Would it be nice? Sure. They kind of do. Some coaches in the conference actually WANT it... but when it comes to a lot of things, old school, hypotrical, thinking plays a role in the NESCAC and it is hard to show why one way of thinking isn't across the board... or right... but alas... those are the playing grounds we have.

BTW consider this, the MIAA (probably not the only one) plays a double-round-robin in soccer... there are extremes to the idea and that is certainly one of them!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 29, 2016, 10:23:41 PM
Tell you what: considering that Williams has lost three titles games to WIAC teams, two on the final possession, I'll happily endorse a double round robin for NESCAC in exchange for WIAC's departure!

Obviously, mandating a double round-robin is unfeasible. That could be anywhere from 12 to 22 games, depending on the conference. But a setup where you have to play 60% or 67% or 70% of your schedule against conference opponents in order to qualify for an automatic bid? That sounds reasonable to me.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Pat Coleman

Hah -- you can tell when halftime comes in Vegas. That's when Dave and I get on the boards for a minute. Back to writing. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yep... game is over... back to reading the boards - though, I am SO far behind thanks to football, Christmas, and Vegas. LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 29, 2016, 10:23:41 PM

Hey now! Be nice!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

smedindy

I enjoy the banter about 'appropriate' gym sizes, etc.

In Indiana, my home state, we have High School gyms that rival many D-1 gym sizes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_high_school_gyms_in_the_United_States

The arena where we played the regionals in the old, real, single class tournament was the gym used in Blue Chips, and we went there frequently since Frankfort was in our conference.

And I've seen a lot of small D-1 gyms. Quaint. There are a lot of D-1 programs and conferences that don't draw.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2016.pdf

The gyms in the WCC aside from BYU are pretty much like D-3 gyms. Maybe a little larger, but not much.

AO

Quote from: smedindy on December 30, 2016, 12:47:49 PM

In Indiana, my home state, we have High School gyms that rival many D-1 gym sizes.

The arena where we played the regionals in the old, real, single class tournament was the gym used in Blue Chips, and we went there frequently since Frankfort was in our conference.

And I've seen a lot of small D-1 gyms. Quaint. There are a lot of D-1 programs and conferences that don't draw.

The gyms in the WCC aside from BYU are pretty much like D-3 gyms. Maybe a little larger, but not much.
The NEC and MAAC have 10-15 teams with gyms at or under 3,000. 

Even though I wasn't much of a long-distance shooter in college, I can attest to the fact that extra empty space behind the background does negatively affect shooting, but since it's the same for both teams I don't think it's much of a reason to choose a different gym. 

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: smedindy on December 30, 2016, 12:47:49 PM

My high school doesn't crack the top 20 in Indiana with a mere 5,500 capacity. But that's more than 3.5 times FC's capacity of 1500
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

nescac1

Ephs should, I expect, join the top 25 for the first time in a few years (I believe) after gutting out two tough wins versus strong opponents.  Williams was up ten but nearly fumbled this one away late, still, the Ephs played great defense all day and hung tough despite a second straight rough shooting day from deep. 

I've seen three guys who look like all-Americans to me so far this year in Williams games: the Ephs' Dan Aronowitz, Mount Union's DeAllen Jackson and Hope's Harrison Blackledge.  If those aren't three of the top 20 guys in the country, I'd be very curious to see who is. All three carry very heavy burdens for their respective teams and do it very efficiently.  Springfield's Jake Ross is very close behind and he is roughly on the same level despite being a frosh. I predict he will be at LEAST a two-time All-American.   

Gregory Sager

Speaking of All-Americans, #13 North Park rode its two preseason All-Americans to victory tonight over a lightly-regarded but stubborn Manchester team, 93-84. Jordan Robinson had a 32 and 11 double-double and may find himself ranked #1 in the nation in three-point shooting when the next NCAA statistical rankings come out (he was trailing only UWW's Zach Knoblauch, and I'm pretty sure that Robinson's outshot Knoblauch from downtown since that last ranking), and the other Vikings star, Juwan Henry, had 23 points and seven assists.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

sac

Anyone else here happy Sager gets to post on this board with relevance now.  ;)

Gregory Sager

It does still feel a bit weird to be able to legitimately post about my team in this particular room.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

ElRetornodelEspencio

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 31, 2016, 12:10:20 AM
Speaking of All-Americans, #13 North Park rode its two preseason All-Americans to victory tonight over a lightly-regarded but stubborn Manchester team, 93-84. Jordan Robinson had a 32 and 11 double-double and may find himself ranked #1 in the nation in three-point shooting when the next NCAA statistical rankings come out (he was trailing only UWW's Zach Knoblauch, and I'm pretty sure that Robinson's outshot Knoblauch from downtown since that last ranking), and the other Vikings star, Juwan Henry, had 23 points and seven assists.

Robinson is at .608, Keith Richardson is .595, Knoblauch is .590. I don't know when the next rankings come out but would imagine Robinson is leading for now.

Whitewater is shooting better than 48% from 3 as a team!

augie77

That's good research.  Thanks!  +k