FB: Empire 8

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saxontad

Couple things.  I, too, look forward to the AU-Brockport game.  However, I am nervous about next week at Fisher.  I get that Fisher is down this year.  But they are mad as hell I'm sure and would love nothing better than taking us down a peg or two.  And we have not won there since '09.  Like last year, I hope (and actually believe) that the Saxons focus on Saterday and only Saterday each week.  If they can continue to do that, I think they will be fine.  Coach Rankl has done a superb job.

On Saxon Warriors!!!

fisheralum91

tad,
you guys will steamroll at growney.....and whats more- its alumni weekend....

AUPepBand

Quote from: D3MAFAN on October 02, 2017, 01:32:26 PM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on October 02, 2017, 01:09:36 PM
So I'm really excited for a Brockport-Alfred showdown. Mainly because we're looking at a late-season showdown. If Alfred and Brockport are both 8-0 heading into the game, we could have two teams sitting around 10th in the poll and looking for a statement win.

I can't really tell what would be "better" for the conference in terms of the potential to be one of the top 4 teams. Brockport's 70+ points higher in the polls now, but I feel like the reason Alfred started the year where they did were legitimate questions about how they'd be without Johnson, who was a one-man band against Mount and a 2nd-team AA.

But the E8 is constantly being touted as one of the best conferences in D3 football, so I wonder if the Saxons followed up a 10-0 regular season with another 10-0 regular season, without Johnson, that there might be some kind of—I don't want to say course correction because that implies that the voters have been wrong—but just a reaffirmation of exactly how good they were/are.

I know its, early, but I am hoping one of those teams are undefeated and gets a chance at being the east most geographical #1.

You're right. It's early. Saxons are 4-0. By no means has this team peaked....the Saxons are still finding their footing in many ways. Defense took a step forward Saterday by holding a high-scoring Buffalo State team to 3 points. Offense is not producing what the 2016 unit put on the scoreboard...granted, AU graduated 50 TDs (29 TD passes, 21 rushing TDs). Still a lot of work to do! As Tad has stated, the Saxons seem to be maintaining the focus of the task at hand rather than looking off into the future.

A few weeks back, when a few of the young guys were in the library surmising where they'd be ranked that particular week, Pep reminded them that the only ranking that really matters is whether they are #1 or #2 this coming Saturday. They seemed to receive that. This is a young squad with freshmen and sophomores taking on huge roles. Pep is just hoping the senior leadership keeps the team focused.

Pep doesn't think an AU football team can ever take lightly a game with Fisher, no matter the Cardinals' record. It's always a dog fight.

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

Upstate

From what I've seen from AU so far this season:

Very physical on both sides of the ball. The O-line gets great push on runs and can really seal the edge on their jet sweeps/outside runs.

Defensively their lineman can create havoc and they have a nice set of LBers that can come over the top and make plays.

Offense is a nightmare to defend, sure you may know what's coming when they overload one side of the line but they'll either run right at you (daring you to stop them) or action that way and leak out a guy on the backside and break off a huge play.

I don't see Fisher matching up well with a physical team like AU.

We saw what happened with Fisher vs a physical team like Brockport, they literally got ran over, I'm expecting much of the same this weekend.
The views expressed in the above post do not represent the views of St. John Fisher College, their athletic department, their coaching staff or their players. I am an over zealous antagonist that does not have any current connection to the institution I attended.

fisheralum91

Quote from: Upstate on October 02, 2017, 02:42:39 PM
From what I've seen from AU so far this season:

Very physical on both sides of the ball. The O-line gets great push on runs and can really seal the edge on their jet sweeps/outside runs.

Defensively their lineman can create havoc and they have a nice set of LBers that can come over the top and make plays.

Offense is a nightmare to defend, sure you may know what's coming when they overload one side of the line but they'll either run right at you (daring you to stop them) or action that way and leak out a guy on the backside and break off a huge play.

I don't see Fisher matching up well with a physical team like AU.

We saw what happened with Fisher vs a physical team like Brockport, they literally got ran over, I'm expecting much of the same this weekend.

gonna be a long day-----hence Mr and Mrs 91 will not be in attendance

ITH radio

Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

AUPepBand

Quote from: ITH radio on October 03, 2017, 09:10:14 AM
Here you go, Pep, our Wk 5 recap / Wk 6 preview Coach Interview w/ Bob Rankl:

https://www.facebook.com/D3Huddle/videos/vb.126112447487909/1442494955849645/?type=2&theater&notif_t=like&notif_id=1507030580845200

Thanks, guys! Nice job! A bit surprised you didn't bring up Coach Rankl's alma mater snapping Johns Hopkins' 46-game regular season winning streak Saterday. How 'bout da Bears!?!

ITH radio

Good point, Pep, but hey, we're an East Region show ;)
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

AUPepBand

Quote from: ITH radio on October 03, 2017, 11:51:01 AM
Good point, Pep, but hey, we're an East Region show ;)

Indeed you are. And you do a great job...appreciate you reaching out to Coach Rankl. He's a hard worker. Pep met his Hornell neighbors who were tailgating before the Buffalo State game who said they don't see much of him during football season!

On Saxon Warriors!

fisheralum91

Not a lot of chatter (and why would there be) about the AU- Fisher game saterday- but one note that I saw stuck out and made me think- Colichio- not listed in the 2 deep and low and behold a freshman wide out is going to be playing. Pat Galer is on the roster and Ive seen him play. Kid has the talent to make an impact!  I went to school with his dad---couldnt believe that he moved to Whitesboro :P- great news for a Utica area kid jumping into the mix!

Bombers798891

Quote from: fisheralum91 on October 05, 2017, 02:58:56 PM
Not a lot of chatter (and why would there be) about the AU- Fisher game saterday- but one note that I saw stuck out and made me think- Colichio- not listed in the 2 deep and low and behold a freshman wide out is going to be playing. Pat Galer is on the roster and Ive seen him play. Kid has the talent to make an impact!  I went to school with his dad---couldnt believe that he moved to Whitesboro :P- great news for a Utica area kid jumping into the mix!

Did they finally take the advice you guys tried to give them years ago with regard to Fenti and Naton, and just bail on the upperclassmen? ;)

Or is Colichio hurt? (I hope he's not; he's had a nice career, it'd be a shame for it to end like this)

fisheralum91

Bombers- I assume injury but I honestly dont know- miss him for sure and he is on the verge of record numbers.
Bail on upperclassmen---probably not- but hell, at this point what is there to lose---really....NOTHING.
Let some of the raw talent get some PT and see how they react to real game speed.
Who knows - it may reap rewards next year---and if not---Who cares- at least ya tried right?

Bombers798891

Quote from: fisheralum91 on October 05, 2017, 03:33:06 PM
Bombers- I assume injury but I honestly dont know- miss him for sure and he is on the verge of record numbers.
Bail on upperclassmen---probably not- but hell, at this point what is there to lose---really....NOTHING.
Let some of the raw talent get some PT and see how they react to real game speed.
Who knows - it may reap rewards next year---and if not---Who cares- at least ya tried right?

I mean, I think there's something to getting youngsters more reps.

But there's also something to be said for rewarding guys who have worked hard for four years and can still contribute, if only for chemistry's sake. (Colichio would of course, fit this mold.)

Upstate

Quote from: fisheralum91 on October 05, 2017, 02:58:56 PM

Mike wasn't listed on the two deep vs Wick either and I don't believe he played at all.

I don't remember seeing him after halftime of the Brockport game to be honest.

It's good that the young guy gets reps but it's a crappy way for Mike to go out. He's such a great WR, it's unfortunate that he's only had two years of good QB play (Fenti in '14 and Naton in '16). He really could have blown away the record books if he had consistent QB play.
The views expressed in the above post do not represent the views of St. John Fisher College, their athletic department, their coaching staff or their players. I am an over zealous antagonist that does not have any current connection to the institution I attended.

fisheralum91

With consistent QB play Mike would have had records for sure.
Here is hoping that he gets better soon!