2015-2016 Rule Changes

Started by NE Jeffs Fan, March 21, 2016, 11:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE Jeffs Fan

Now that the season is almost finished, what is the feeling of women's basketball switching to quarters with 5 fouls putting you in the bonus where you shoot 2 free throws automatically.  I don't really have a strong opinion either way, just wondering what people have heard from coaches and players?  Will the NCAA review it after this season?

7express

When I first heard it I thought it was one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard.  As the season has progressed on I've really come around to it.....so much so in fact that I wish the men would adopt the same thing down the road.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The men are seriously looking at most of the rules the women put in place. Basically the message has been they didn't have time, nor the research, to pull off the same rules decisions as the women this past year. But, you will have to wait until 17-18 for the new rules to show up.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

I prefer the single bonus for some number of fouls before the double bonus kicks in.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I actually prefer the women's straight to two shots way of doing it. Wastes less time of building up with free throws and makes fouling more risk/reward for the defensive team. Rewards better defense than sloppy defense. And games have been faster with this format as well.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 22, 2016, 10:48:53 AM
I actually prefer the women's straight to two shots way of doing it. Wastes less time of building up with free throws and makes fouling more risk/reward for the defensive team. Rewards better defense than sloppy defense. And games have been faster with this format as well.

2 shots can't be faster than 1-and-1.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It is when you don't have to reset everyone after the first shot... it is when we go straight to five fouls and shoot and reset them halfway through a half versus get to seven and then ten and keep shooting for a long time each half. It all adds up quickly. If they are at five fouls shooting with three minutes left in a quarter and then reset and go until three minutes left in the next quarter... that is seven minutes of no free throws. Old way would have been FTs the entire time slowing the game down. And two shots always is faster than 1-and-1 when shooting the second shot based just on resetting the players AND taking in more subs (you can sub before each of the 1-and-1; can only sub between the two shots otherwise).

ronk

I wasn't arguing against the quarters, just having single bonus for fifth/sixth foul; shooting 1 shot(60% of the time has to be faster than shooting 2 shots(100%).

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

You are assuming they don't hit the first shot. Thus my point about it being made and resetting everyone. And my comment about quarters was based on the fact that only shooting two after five fouls per quarter makes a difference than 1-and-1.