2014 D3 Season: National Perspective

Started by PaulNewman, August 24, 2014, 02:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just4kix

I don't think it creates an infinite loop.  Perhaps one iteration or two will zoom in on a stable result.  For example, what if Rutgers-Camden were to sneak into the South Atlantic ranking?  Rutgers-Newark's record vs. ranked would suddenly go from 2-2 to 2-4.  That might change considerably how they are viewed vs. Salisbury.

I think it points out a serious flaw in taking record vs ranked too seriously.

PaulNewman

Ron Boerger

UT-Dallas not only gets in but gets to host - didn't even win their own conference!   Trinity (TX) sent there along with Hardin-Simmons.

lastguyoffthebench

Dominican and UT-D flying under the radar to get in.  Complete shocker.

oldonionbag

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 10, 2014, 01:38:09 PM
UT-Dallas not only gets in but gets to host - didn't even win their own conference!   Trinity (TX) sent there along with Hardin-Simmons.

Shocked by that. Absolutely shocked.

Domino1195

lastguyoffthebench

SLU vs Amherst potential rematch again... 

OWU vs Calvin...

Christan Shirk

Did Salisbury get in?  I missed one name and I think it may have been them.
Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

gustiefan04

Quote from: Christan Shirk on November 10, 2014, 01:45:18 PM
Did Salisbury get in?  I missed one name and I think it may have been them.

yes, they are in.

Ryan Harmanis

Dominican and UT-Dallas are surprise inclusions, to understate things. Dominican was nowhere on the radar: 1-3 vs ranked, average .545 SOS. UT-Dallas is even worse: .516 SOS, only one ranked GAME (granted, a win over Trinity).

If I'm John Carroll or Haverford I'm flipping out. The only explanation for UT-Dallas is the regional thing - no at large bids last year, giving them one this year. Could be the same explanation for Dominican, but Dominican's only (and I do mean only) win of consequence is over North Park.

PaulNewman

And NO Kzoo...

Some massive games even in 1st round...like Rochester vs Salisbury...and blockbuster sweet 16 games...SLU vs Amherst in round of 32?

Christan Shirk

Texas-Dallas is just really shocking!  4 losses and 7 total blemishes playing a .516 SOS and only getting a single win vs. ranked!  Doesn't make sense because it's inconsistent with what the committee typical rewards.

So I wrongly predicted John Carroll, Haverford, and UW-Oshkosh instead of the selected Dominican, Brockport State, and Texas-Dallas.

Brockport State was always right in the mix and included in my bubble.  No surprise we them getting in. 

Dominican isn't as shocking as Texas-Dallas, but still hard to figure.  Their win over North Park must have convinced the committee.  UW-Oshkosh, for example, had the exact same W-L-T record, a little better SOS, and a little better record versus ranked teams (1-2-2 vs. 1-3-0), yet Dominican gets it over them.  But Dominican beat North Park while Oshkosh lost to them.  So that record versus common opponents must have swung it over to Dominican apparently.

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts later, but that's the first of them.
Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

lastguyoffthebench

My favorite/most intriguing first round games:

Dickinson vs Tufts...
Catholics vs Coast Guard
Rutgers-Newark vs Babson 
MSU vs Stevens

MSU could be primed to make a deep run... I see them reaching Elite 8

F&M would have to get through Rochester, Oneonta St, Brandeis/Amherst/SLU.  Make the Mid-Atlantic proud, Diplomats.