2015 D3 Season: NATIONAL PERSPECTIVE

Started by D3soccerwatcher, February 08, 2015, 12:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christan Shirk

Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

lastguyoffthebench

Whitworth drops a 2-0 results to Gonzaga.   

Are there any Preseason games out there with live feeds?  Please post if so.  We are just a few days away before the season kicks off.  Good luck to all the schools. 

I sure don't miss those three-a-days...

lastguyoffthebench

Bennett Ranking has changed domain names and includes Preseason Rankings and Conference Previews:
http://herosports.com/collegesoccer/view-every-d3-mens-soccer-conference-preview-right/

MASSEY RANKINGS
http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=csoc2015&sub=11620

SOS:
1) Williams
2) Tufts
3) Wesleyan
4) Hamilton
5) Amherst
6) Colby
7) Chicago
8) Brandeis
9) Connecticut
10) Bowdoin
11) Trinity (CT)
12) Haverford
13) Bates
14) N Central Ill
15) Rochester

These will change after the first few games, but no surprise to see the NESCAC dominate the SOS realm along with UAA and Haverford.

Brother Flounder

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on August 26, 2015, 10:32:08 AM
Bennett Ranking has changed domain names and includes Preseason Rankings and Conference Previews:
http://herosports.com/collegesoccer/view-every-d3-mens-soccer-conference-preview-right/

MASSEY RANKINGS
http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=csoc2015&sub=11620

SOS:
1) Williams
2) Tufts
3) Wesleyan
4) Hamilton
5) Amherst
6) Colby
7) Chicago
8) Brandeis
9) Connecticut
10) Bowdoin
11) Trinity (CT)
12) Haverford
13) Bates
14) N Central Ill
15) Rochester

These will change after the first few games, but no surprise to see the NESCAC dominate the SOS realm along with UAA and Haverford.

Unfortunately for the NESCAC teams, these high SOS's will keep some out of the tournament due to losses.  I see Middlebury is not up there.  This will give them a slight advantage....

NEPAFAN

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on August 25, 2015, 12:40:52 PM

Haverford looking to take a beating again, but prove their worth with a daunting non conference schedule:

@ Stevens
Wesleyan
@ Montclair St
Stockton
@ Rutgers-Camden
Catholic

Looks like it will be one of the toughest in the nation when you factor in the Centennial Conference, IMO.

what conference is the toughest in D3?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

lastguyoffthebench

1) NESCAC
2) CENTENNIAL
3) NJAC/UAA
4) LIBERTY/CCIW
5) IIAC/NEWMAC

All NESCAC

Quote from: NEPAFAN on August 26, 2015, 11:47:01 AM
Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on August 25, 2015, 12:40:52 PM

Haverford looking to take a beating again, but prove their worth with a daunting non conference schedule:

@ Stevens
Wesleyan
@ Montclair St
Stockton
@ Rutgers-Camden
Catholic

Looks like it will be one of the toughest in the nation when you factor in the Centennial Conference, IMO.

what conference is the toughest in D3?

Toughest from Top to Bottom for League play in D3 is the NESCAC.  Not saying the best team or 2 or 3 of the top teams in the nation, but the NESCAC teams butcher each other up each year, and #1 can be beaten by #11 within the League each year as so often happens....which unfortunately is a huge negative when it comes to NCAA time and at large berths due to lower winning %'s from the brutal League schedule.

D3soccerwatcher

Pre-season games should be in full swing this week and through the weekend.  If you have information on results please post.

lastguyoffthebench

Was told that Rutgers-Camden beat Eastern 1-0 and tied Dickinson 0-0

Midwest Soccer

The NCAC should probably be included on that list. Has had at least 2 teams in the NCAA tournament every year since 2008 including 2013 when it had 3 (and arguably should have had a 4th in DePauw). Boasts Top 10 teams Kenyon and Ohio Wesleyan in addition to DePauw which has been a perennial Top 25 team the last 3-4 years. Wabash was also in the Top 25 last year and Oberlin has flirted with it.

I think you're pretty generous with the CCIW on that list. Outside of Wheaton and the occasional North Park/Carthage, it's not too strong IMO.

Flying Weasel

Don't know anything more than the scoreline, but Messiah lost to F&M 2-1 in a scrimmage last night.

lastguyoffthebench

Quote from: Midwest Soccer on August 27, 2015, 10:30:58 AM
The NCAC should probably be included on that list. Has had at least 2 teams in the NCAA tournament every year since 2008 including 2013 when it had 3 (and arguably should have had a 4th in DePauw). Boasts Top 10 teams Kenyon and Ohio Wesleyan in addition to DePauw which has been a perennial Top 25 team the last 3-4 years. Wabash was also in the Top 25 last year and Oberlin has flirted with it.

I think you're pretty generous with the CCIW on that list. Outside of Wheaton and the occasional North Park/Carthage, it's not too strong IMO.

Not disagreeing with you here, as I am not as familiar with the Central teams.   I just looked up Bennet Ranks for conference, NCAC is listed a bizarre #15.  SUNYAC (Oneonta St, Cortland St, Brockport St, Plattsburgh St) #14

Domino1195

PaulNewman

Ah, you can feel the season coming in the air.  A melancholy time I imagine for guys who graduated in May (and of course their parents who spent the last 15 or so years watching theirs kids play every year).  Would be interesting to see guys like RH, S Noon, G Wirz, one of the Messiah guys, etc write about their experiences of being done and not playing those first couple of years.  I might write a piece myself eventually.  There's not much better than traveling to games and spending a couple of days hanging out on a beautiful college campus and getting to see your kid play in some quality D3 college action.

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: NCAC New England on August 27, 2015, 01:20:06 PM
Ah, you can feel the season coming in the air.  A melancholy time I imagine for guys who graduated in May (and of course their parents who spent the last 15 or so years watching theirs kids play every year).  Would be interesting to see guys like RH, S Noon, G Wirz, one of the Messiah guys, etc write about their experiences of being done and not playing those first couple of years.  I might write a piece myself eventually.  There's not much better than traveling to games and spending a couple of days hanging out on a beautiful college campus and getting to see your kid play in some quality D3 college action.
My college playing days are long over, but my youngest son just finished playing at my alma mater.  First time since 2002 that I won't be watching one of my kids play college games (D-I girl; 2 D-III boys).  I'm deep in the throes of withdrawal . . .