BB: Central Region Rankings

Started by BigPoppa, March 19, 2007, 03:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 12, 2018, 06:56:09 PM
Quote from: AndOne on May 12, 2018, 06:17:33 PM
Quote from: jaybird44 on May 12, 2018, 05:40:54 PM
From the Wash-U perspective, I'm hoping that the Bears can snag one of the last two or three bids.  If Webster wins the SLIAC Tournament, Wash-U would seem to be either the 2nd or 3rd-ranked Pool C hopeful in the region, depending on where Carthage is placed in the final regional rankings.  Good SOS, but a 21-14 overall record may be too pale in comparison to the other hopefuls clamoring to get to the table.

Thoughts?

At 21-14, Wash U's winning % of .600 is indeed pale. Is this the record of a team that deserves a shot at a national championship? If a Wash U kid scored 60% on any kind of exercise/exam he'd be more likely to get kicked out of school than to receive any type of reward. I'm thinking the door won't open.

While they fortunately got hot by the conference tourney to win a pool A bid, the 2010 national champion had a much worse record than .600!

Yes, but they had that conference tourney win to support their argument.  ;)

Mr. Ypsi

I haven't looked at WashU's other credentials - my point is that no ONE criterion should be automatically disqualifying.  National champions (and championship contenders) can come with baggage.  Yes, there has to be some sort of determination (unless we want an 'everyone is invited' tourney), but be very cautious about using any ONE criterion to disqualify candidates.

Big Poppa, notice that I never even mentioned that green-clad team! ;D  YOU brought up the reference! :o

Ralph Turner

Quote from: AndOne on May 12, 2018, 06:17:33 PM
Quote from: jaybird44 on May 12, 2018, 05:40:54 PM
From the Wash-U perspective, I'm hoping that the Bears can snag one of the last two or three bids.  If Webster wins the SLIAC Tournament, Wash-U would seem to be either the 2nd or 3rd-ranked Pool C hopeful in the region, depending on where Carthage is placed in the final regional rankings.  Good SOS, but a 21-14 overall record may be too pale in comparison to the other hopefuls clamoring to get to the table.

Thoughts?

At 21-14, Wash U's winning % of .600 is indeed pale. Is this the record of a team that deserves a shot at a national championship? If a Wash U kid scored 60% on any kind of exercise/exam he'd be more likely to get kicked out of school than to receive any type of reward. I'm thinking the door won't open.
I can imagine ASC Champion UTD with a 2-win sweep over Concordia Texas displacing Centenary in the final rankings. In that case, Wash U would have a RRO of 5-5.  Carthage is only 1-3 (against NCC this year) and no other regionally ranked opponents.

Of course, Greenville can take the championship tonight, knock Webster to Pool C and make this discussion moot.

Wartburg lost to Dubuque and breaks WashU's bubble.

jaybird44

Would be fun to see Wash-U's top-10 ERA pitching staff in the postseason, but the Bears' Waterloo moments late in the regular season were the series loss at Emory and splitting vs. Case-Western at home when they won the first two games of the four-game set.  Not getting to host Webster in a home game as scheduled didn't help matters either.

BigPoppa

Anyone care to take a shot at predicting the Central Region conferences?

CCIW?

MWC?

ARC(former IIAC)?

SLIAC?

UAA?

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BigPoppa on January 03, 2019, 09:30:10 AM
Anyone care to take a shot at predicting the Central Region conferences?

CCIW?

MWC?

ARC(former IIAC)?

SLIAC?

UAA?

Considering the entire conference, can #1 beat $#1?  #2 beat #2? # last beats #last?

CCIW  I think that the cream of the CCIW edges out the cream of the UAA

UAA (Do we count the 7 schools who field a baseball team?)

ARC

SLIAC

MWC

BigPoppa

I can't disagree.... the CCIW has usually had 2-3 contenders on the national level but that has fallen off in the past 4-5 seasons. The UAA is solid and has had WashU, Emory and Case Western on the national radar lately. MWC has been a one-team conference for much of the past 10-15 years (St Norbert)... and the SLIAC has been Webster with Spalding emerging...

The ARC has been all over the place with parity in recent years, but Wartburg has remained a constant top program.

BigPoppa

Anyone care to take a crack at ranking the top 5-10 Central Region teams?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BigPoppa on March 15, 2019, 10:02:24 AM

1) Conc Chi  Oops, but they are in Illinois!!!
1) Webster
2) Aurora  Dang it!  Another Illinois team!
2) Wash U StL
3) North Central
4) Spalding
Hmmm

???

???

5) Augie seems to be a very weak #5

I just don't see anyone in the ARC who has beaten "anyone"...

BigPoppa

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 20, 2019, 11:47:49 AM
Quote from: BigPoppa on March 15, 2019, 10:02:24 AM

1) Conc Chi  Oops, but they are in Illinois!!!
1) Webster
2) Aurora  Dang it!  Another Illinois team!
2) Wash U StL
3) North Central
4) Spalding
Hmmm

???

???

5) Augie seems to be a very weak #5

I just don't see anyone in the ARC who has beaten "anyone"...

Agree... Central is hard to figure out right now.