MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy the kid

Congrats to Coach Pottkotter....... Now lets hear about the incoming freshmen and can they help OC return to the top of the ever strong OAC.....
OFFENSE IS EXCITING...DEFENSE WINS GAMES.....REBOUNDING WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS                                                                    ...

David Collinge

Coaching carousel:

• Anthony Gholson is the new head coach at Heidelberg College, replacing Duane Sheldon who has moved over to Baldwin-Wallace.  Gholson had been an assistant to Jeff Coleman as well as the head men's golf coach at Ohio Northern.
  • Replacing Gholson in both positions in Ada will be 2005 ONU grad and former hoops standout Chad Bostelman.  Last season, Bostelman aided Mike DeWitt in leading Ohio Wesleyan to the NCAC tournament championship and the NCAA Sweet Sixteen.
  • Stepping into Bostelman's shoes in Delaware will be Scott Cutter, a 2002 graduate of Wilmington and formerly an assistant coach at Defiance.
Congratulations and best wishes to Anthony, Chad, and Scott on their new assignments.

hoopscoach

Pre-season coaches poll:
1. Capital (9) 81
2. Ohio Northern (1) 71
3. Wilmington 57
4. John Carroll 54
5. Muskingum 50
6. Baldwin-Wallace 44
7. Heidelberg 28
8. Mount Union 27
9. Otterbein 23
10. Marietta 15

onefan

Just took a look at the preseason poll...I agree with Cap being the odds on pre season favorite,, but I can't see a dime's worth of difference between 2 through 6. Bet we have another wild  season of "can't believe they lost that one" and "they looked so good Wednesday night what the heck happened Saturday.....Can't wait for another entertainig year.

onefan

Caught the ONU/WITTENBERG contest on Wednesday....The Tigers were outplayed at both ends of the court. Northern played sticky defense and their offense was clicking most of the night. The bears got 16 points apiece from Kyle Meyer, Sam Bastian and Ezra Bradshaw with Curtis Brown knocking down 18. Don't know much about the Tigers, but those guys shot the eyes out of the basket from the charity stripe. Must have been  in the 90 percent vicinity,but other than that, they appeared out of sync the entire game and never really got anything going at either end of the court. If they play the rest of the season the way they played last night it is going to be a long year for the Tigers. They look like a .500 team at best. Maybe a rebuilding year? They do appear to have several big men on the team as Freshman. Time will tell....So far ONU is playing .. well together, something they had difficulty doing last year. Lookout Cap, I think the Bears are going to be a force to be dealt with this year.

ScotsFan

onefan,

Your assessment of Witt seems to be pretty accurate.  Witt is very young this year and definitely appears to be headed towards what would be an uncharacteristic rebuilding year.  Of the 14 players listed on Witt's roster, there is only 1 senior and 2 juniors.  Witt has also had to deal with the loss of 2 seniors for the season to injuries including Greg Hill who is by far Witt's best returning player.  It will be interesting to see how quickly the underclassmen for Witt can develop.  If they don't start to get things together, I would agree with you that Witt will struggle to finish above .500 this year.

Wooster is in a similar situation relying heavily on younger players to contribute early in the season and they have had to open the season without their best returning player in Brandon Johnson.  The difference for Wooster is, Johnson is set to return for Wooster's annual holiday tournament at the end of this month which should give the Scots quite a boost as they gear up for conference play.

Overall, the GL Region as a whole seems to be a bit down.  Cap and CMU are the only teams from the region in this week's d3hoops top 25.  I can't remember a time when so few teams from this region were ranked.  Should be a fun season to see which teams emerge out of the GL Region, if any, as possible  contenders to make it to Salem...

Maxamillion3030

Watch out for Ohio Northern. They have all of the tools to hang with Capital- Interior presence, great perimeter defense and probably the best overall sophomore in the league in Sam Bastian. The kid can play- a wing or post player with the mind of a point or shooting guard. What a talent!Can play inside or out and can guard anybody on the floor.

kiltedbryan

Quote from: hoopscoach on November 11, 2008, 09:51:03 PM
Pre-season coaches poll:
1. Capital (9) 81
3. Wilmington 57

Well these two just met for their first regular season meeting and the coaches poll almost predicted the margin of victory...for the Quakers.

82-53 Wilmington over Capital, handing the Crusaders their first loss of the year, and giving the Quakers their first conference win after falling to 'Berg in OT earlier in the week.  From the box score it looks like Wilmington ran away with this one thanks to great shooting (54% for the game) and Capital never could find the range, shooting a nearly identical 32% in each half.

Wilmington coach KC Hunt called it a total team effort.  Read the recap here.

onefan

Ohio Northern knocked off Baldwin Wallace on Saturday afternoon to up it's OAC record to 2-0. They had four players in double figures and are playing good heads up basketball. They didn't shoot the ball all that well, but they  in control at both ends of the court. This team is interesting to watch because they really don't have a marquis player, but have seven to eight very good bastketball players that work  well and very unselfishly together. Their guards have the ability to penetrate and score or dish off to an open teammate. They have  good size inside and experience. In addition, due to their depth, frequent substitutions keeps everyone fresh and so far has kept them out of foul trouble. This is going to be a team to watch and enjoy.

onefan

Four games in to the OAC schedule I think the team to watch is Ohio Northern. They seem to have slipped in under the radar nationally, but they have a very nice team. Well balanced....two big men underneath in Cannon and Meyer that are getting it done at both ends of the court....a good ball handling penetrating guard in Bradshaw along with Bastian and Brown. In addition they have a deep bench which they have not had in recent years.They typically have four to five players in double figures and are playing their normal good "D".  Can't speak to Cap's chances  but the Wilmington loss has to make you wonder about just how strong they really are. I expect to see the Bears appear in the polls in the very near future.... This team has the opportunity to go far this year if they stay healthy.

Titan Q

This CCIW fan appreciates the Otterbein campus station, WOBN, broadcasting the championship game of the Smokey Ballenger Classic, even though the host school isn't playing in the game.  Nice to listen to a game on a Sunday night with not much else going on.

Also, nice job by the broadcasters.  It's rare (and refreshing) to hear a completely neutral broadcast at the D3 level.

onefan

ONU continues to quietly pile up the W's winning in San Diego on Sunday night by ten over Linfield 67-57. I am telling ya, these guys are good, and have yet to appear on the D3 Hoops poll. In my opinion, this team is the best ONU has had  since Coach Coleman took the reins from Joe Campoli. Barring injuries, they will be going places....As an aside, is anybody visiting OAC sight???? It is eerily quiet this year....

ScotsFan

Quote from: onefan on December 29, 2008, 11:42:21 AM
As an aside, is anybody visiting OAC sight???? It is eerily quiet this year....
As opposed to other years?  ;)

This room has always been comparatively quiet and I've always been surprised there aren't more OAC supporters in here.  I guess most OAC fans don't realize that there are other sports in the OAC other than just football...  :P

Thanks onefan for you ONU updates.  At least one OAC team has some representation.  JCU had Toph, but he's been MIA for quite some time.  And I think kiltedbryan (a Wooster supporter) gives more info on the C'bus area teams than any actual supporters of said C'bus teams. 

Really, all you have to do is just go to the OAC page in Post Patterns and that will tell you all you need to know about where other sports outside of football fall in the hearts of most OAC supporters...

Gregory Sager

Quote from: ScotsFan on December 29, 2008, 02:44:00 PM
Quote from: onefan on December 29, 2008, 11:42:21 AM
As an aside, is anybody visiting OAC sight???? It is eerily quiet this year....
As opposed to other years?  ;)

This room has always been comparatively quiet and I've always been surprised there aren't more OAC supporters in here.  I guess most OAC fans don't realize that there are other sports in the OAC other than just football...  :P

Thanks onefan for you ONU updates.  At least one OAC team has some representation.  JCU had Toph, but he's been MIA for quite some time.  And I think kiltedbryan (a Wooster supporter) gives more info on the C'bus area teams than any actual supporters of said C'bus teams. 

Really, all you have to do is just go to the OAC page in Post Patterns and that will tell you all you need to know about where other sports outside of football fall in the hearts of most OAC supporters...

Mount Union football may cast a long shadow, but it doesn't explain why nobody posts in this room.

The perennial silence here is truly bizarre. Why? Because the OAC has a longstanding tradition as a power conference in D3 men's basketball. It's one of only two leagues, for instance, that can claim D3 championships won by teams from three different league members (although one of the victorious members, Wittenberg, subsequently left the OAC), the WIAC being the other one. The OAC's tourney representatives in March are respected by everyone as a matter of course, whether the team or teams really deserve it or not, because the OAC not only has a reputation for playing basketball at a high level, it has an even greater reputation for overall league balance.

This is really a terrific D3 men's basketball league, and the fact that it has next to no participation by its fans in this room (or on the men's basketball side of this site in general) just baffles me.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

sac

It all went downhill in here when BustaRyhmes graduated.

If you remember that guy, pat yourself on the back, you've been here awhile. :D