MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdean

Good work Michael Redd. Amen and amen.

c-busballer

My wife is sure happy I do not bet money.  This is only the 5th time since 1990 that all 4 top seeds have made it to the semi-finals together in the OAC Tournament.  The other years were 1990, 1991, 1994, and 2002.  That is one reason I went with the underdogs.  The other is I did not want the finals to be in Cleveland. 

Congrats to all the seniors for their 4 years of basketball on the teams that lost.  Good luck to the teams this weekend.  I am sure none of them want me to pick them to win.

J-Dean, I saw that Mount battled back, did it ever seem like they could pull it out?

Toph,  how is Pete Moran doing?  I credit JCU for battling the second half of the year.  If they could have cut their turnovers to 20, they may have had a chance.  Kind of hard to run offense when all your point guards are hurt.   

jdean

c-busballer:

I didn't see the game--was listening on and off on MUC's broadcast. The critical point in the game was where I started my earlier commentary. With Davis committing his 4th foul Mount could have challenged him down low in the last 4+ mins. Would the game dynamics have been different with Davis trying to avoid or committing his fifth? Maybe, but the reality is Mount never really had a chance to challenge him because of turnovers. BW was able to cushion their narrowing lead and Mount lost their momentum. BW was up to the challenge on both ends of the floor in the final minutes--they won the game, Mount didn't lose it.

Toph

ONU forces 31 turnovers to defeat JCU.  JCU played well in pretty much every other phase of the game.  Northern didn't get a lot of good looking shots, and shot much worse than on Saturday.  JCU, on the other hand, attacked the basket very well and shot a high percentage from the field (over 50%).  JCU didn't make good passes on many occasions and Northern took advantage.  Turnovers lost this game for Carroll.  I'll say BW-Musky in the finals.  Northern didn't look very good yesterday, they need to play much better to beat Muskingum.

jdean

Too bad about the G problems at the end of the season, Toph.  I get sick when I see one of the 2 Mount teams with 20 turnovers--I just can't imagine how half again as many looks.
I'm not convinced the OAC rep is going very far in this tournie--hope I'm wrong.

c-busballer

jdean,

It is all a roll of the dice once you get in the tournament.  Match-ups and style of play.  Where the game is played.  Look at JCU the 3 years that they were in the tournament.  They got a home game in the first round.  Then had to go play very good Wittenberg and Wooster teams on the road.  They won 2 out of 3.  They also had to go to Albion and lost on an unbelievable half court shot.  I do think the OAC has great parity, but is a bit down.  Odd to say that when there are three 20 win teams and Muskingum has 17.  My reasoning is that it is a young league and could possibly be a great season if teams stay healthy and add a player or two.  Only 6 of the top 20 scorers are seniors. 

BW - Returns 3 of 5 starters and 7 of top 10.  Most importantly Davis, Schuler and Sekerak.  They will miss Aufmuth and Gundert.  Gives them some grit and edge.  Nucleus to be outstanding again next year. 

Capital - Returns everyone.  Need to find some creative penatrating guards.  Great young nucleus.  No seniors and only one junior on the roster.  If this nucleus of freshman and sophomores stay together, they will be big and powerfull the next few years.

Heidelberg - Returns everyone but 8th or 9th man - This team has talent - as much as anyone.  If players are patient and learn how to win, they could be in the top 4.

JCU - Lose Ragor and Travis.  Biggest recruiting job is to get Mimes back.  Roggenburk, Franks still have eligibility if they want.  Need to find two wing players and a point guard.  If Roggenburk and Franks do not come back, Need some post players.

Marietta - Who knows.  If Foote has abandoned the fun and gun, it may take a few years to get back.  Back when they were a half court team, it was always a battle.

Mount Union - Lose only one senior, but Karpinski is a good one.  Did not see them play but know of some of their players.  Sounds like the have some young guards who could be good.  Saw Switzer in HS and thought he would be a good one.  Need to get some Post players.  Jdean, what happened to Jason Smith this year?

Muskingum - Everyone back but Pittis and Ross - two very good players.  Todd will make them competitive as long as he is there.  Love to watch him play.

Ohio Northern - 7 of top 8 are back - If everyone comes back, could be an unbelievable year for ONU.

Otterbein - Lose Ousley.  Need to find some post players.  If Owens comes back, he and Banaszak are a great backcourt. 

Wilmington - Lose Stirling, Carpenter, and Rohrbacher.  Biggest recruiting job is to make sure everyone comes back.  What a great story for Carpenter and Rohrbacher.  They went 4-23 and 1-25 their freshman and sophomore years.  They have helped Wilmington set a school record for wins at 20 and still going.  If Wilmington adds a few players, they will be good again.  Very quick and athletic team.  Reminds me of JCU a little. 

c-busballer

OAC Final Four -

Flip of the coin in both games.  The two matchups split with eachother during the year.  Will BW relax at all thinking they are in the big dance.  In the past there was no room for error.  Only one team was going (with the exception of last year, BW, JCU).

First game - I think ONU wins on the last play.  Badenhop from deep.  Or Todd makes a steal and hits a 25 footer.  Just kidding.  I will go with ONU.  I just think that they are deep and talented.

Second game - I love upsets.  I think Wilmington will wear BW down and win a close one down the stretch.  Wilmington has to make shots though to get into their press.  If not BW will win easily.

I think all four of these teams can get it done.  It should be a great final 4.

I'll take ONU in the title game over Wilmington. 

Kramerica

Finally some chatter in this room......

A great final four in place.

Game#1- Muskingum v. ONU. I like Muskie in this game for the simple reason of experience. Pittis and Ross are seasoned and Todd isn't your typical sophomore, really like a junior. Both teams are physical and Muskie has a better chance of lighting it up. Reference 21-33 3PT-FG last Saturday vs Berg. I think if you get physical with Badenhop you can take him out of the game and he will not shoot a great %, although he is very dangerous. ONU has some nice bigs, but so does Muskie. A great semi-final matchup for sure. Early line ONU -4.

Game#2- BW v. Wilmington. I witnessed game one in Berea with Wimington knocking off BW. Wilmington threw a 3-quarter court press that flustered BW and forced them into quick shots they did not make. Sterling at the top of that press was impressive. BW needs to stuff the ball down Davis' throat. They went away from him against Mount and that could have been a disaster if Mount took advantage. If Aufmuth has a good game this should be a good one. I like BW simply because of Tori Davis but I wont be suprised if Wilmington wins, if they make the game. Reference a long history of bus troubles dating several years back up and to last Saturday. Early line BW -6

Toph

I think one of JCU's chief concerns in the offseason should be addressing the lack of outside shooting this season.

Musky-BW final.

jdean

c-busballer:

Lost Jason Smith for the year in a pre-season leg injury. I assume he'll return next year. Also, even though he's listed as a Jr, their starting fwd Long was announced as a Sr at the last home game. Even with Smith next year they need some help on the boards.

Toph

QuoteI think if you get physical with Badenhop you can take him out of the game and he will not shoot a great %

He didn't shoot well in the JCU game.  I'd get somebody to bully him and see if he can be knocked off his game again.  He's always dangerous, though.  Great shooter, and he can get his shot off quickly.  If the perimeter shots don't fall for Northern, their bigs had better stay out of foul trouble.

Now, the question is which Musky team will show up?  The one that's been on a nice little roll here, or the one that scored, what, 39 points(?) against Mount?

whoknows

J Dean

Not that it matter right now but just thought I would add that otterbein does not lose anyone Ousley has a red shirt year from his junior year and last I heard was planning on using it.

baldbear

jdean

Quote from: Toph on February 24, 2006, 01:07:01 PM

..., or the one that scored, what, 39 points(?) against Mount?

Thanks for pointing out the defensive expertise of the Raiders. You're always so generous in your remarks.

I'll take BW tomorrow. They're playing twice so one of them should win.

c-busballer

whoknows,

I did not realize that Ousley was planning on coming back.  That makes Otterbein very interesting.  If Owens and Ousley come back.  Add one or two post players and on more perimeter player for depth and they could very easily make a run.