Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woosterbooster

Quote from: David Collinge on December 06, 2006, 11:58:20 PM
Mt. Union (4-1, 1-0) 81, Hiram (0-4) 54
Baldwin-Wallace (3-2, 0-1) was idle.

Apparently Hiram was also.

Toph

JCU looks like they're playing pretty good ball.  They're undefeated against Division 3.  Hopefully sometime soon I'll have some time to actually catch a game instead of reading recaps and looking at boxscores.  Thanks for the info everybody.

x3x4bsb

Looks as though all of the hype about ONU "owning" the OAC was just that.  I can handle a blip in the schedule hadn't they lost to B-W in Ada today by 16 in a game they were never really in.  Guess Cap and JCU are the two clubs to step to the forfront of the OAC.

David Collinge

JCU (6-2, 3-0) 80, Capital (4-3, 2-1) 72
Heidelberg (4-4, 2-1) 68, Mt. Union (4-2, 1-1) 61
Baldwin-Wallace (4-2, 1-1) 94, Ohio Northern (6-1, 2-1) 77
Wilmington (4-3, 1-2) 75, Marietta (2-3, 0-3) 64
Otterbein (5-2, 2-1) 95, Muskingum (4-3, 0-3) 84

Sole possession of 1st place for JCU.  Congratulations to Dick Reynolds on recording his 600th win at Otterbein!  :)

kiltedbryan

Quote from: Toph on December 07, 2006, 05:15:00 PM
JCU looks like they're playing pretty good ball.  They're undefeated against Division 3.  Hopefully sometime soon I'll have some time to actually catch a game instead of reading recaps and looking at boxscores.  Thanks for the info everybody.

JCU interests me.  I don't honestly know very much about them, and I suspect that that feeling is shared by most of the voters in the d3hoops.com poll, at this point, or else I couldn't quite explain how they only received 5 total vote points in this week's poll.  JCU remains unbeaten against d3 opponets, while B-W, with 2 d3 losses to unranked opponets, garnered 53 votes.  What B-W does have, though, is a signature win that showed how good they can/should be, by beating ONU on ONU's court this weekend.   I'm guessing that if JCU could land a similar win against ONU or B-W we'll see them quickly rise in the polls.  I suspect that d3hoops voters feel that we just don't know how good JCU is yet, and it looks like they have maybe only one more challenging non-conference matchup in Christopher Newport.  The two losses to non-d3 teams doesn't help the d3 voters size them up.

Based on the early results, JCU could play the same role in the OAC this year that Ohio Wesleyan could play in the NCAC- spoiler.  The Blue Streaks will do well to avoid following the Bishop's lead too closely- the Streaks will not want losses like OWU's @ Allegheny one on their record

sac

Now that  Brandon Mimes is back playing for JCU it wouldn't surprise me at all to see JCU at the top of the OAC heap at years end.  He is one seriously good ball player.  The kind of player that changes a teams fortunes........see JCU '05 vs JCU '06.

Unfortunately the style JCU chooses to play often lends itself to very ugly displays of basketball, if you can get past the frequent trips to the FT line and the extrememly physical play you'll notice a pretty good system that Coach Moran has going.

kiltedbryan

Thanks for the mini-scouting report, sac!  I'm going to try to catch JCU when they come down to Columbus to play Capital or Otterbein.

woosterbooster

I wonder if they even use a ball when JCU and Capital get together.  I see it more as a steel cage (they used to actually play basketball inside courts that were enclosed by wired fences, hence the name "cagers") match, lots of blood and guts, with whichever team has the last man standing declared the winner. :)

ScotsFan

Quote from: Wooster Booster on December 13, 2006, 05:26:41 PM
I wonder if they even use a ball when JCU and Capital get together.  I see it more as a steel cage (they used to actually play basketball inside courts that were enclosed by wired fences, hence the name "cagers") match, lots of blood and guts, with whichever team has the last man standing declared the winner. :)
Actually, I think what we saw from their football game this past fall will more closely resemble what you'll see from these 2 basketball teams when they hook up. ;)

onefan

Looks like the OAC is going to be its typical fight to the finish with John Carroll getting knocked off today by Wilmington...Cap is looking decent at the moment but I don't see a dominant team in the Conference this year. ONU got a Win today at Mount Union, and while their defense remains their hallmark, their shooting percentage has been disappointing. ONU has a stiff test coming up Tuesday against Witt....a win there could give them a much needed boost in confidence.

division3hoops

Just curious to hear from any ONU fans about thoughts on the game tonight against Wittenberg...  I assume all the students are on break so there probably won't be that packed of a house tonight.  It's too bad because this should be an interesting game.  Is there any way to listen to it on-line??

ScotsFan

division3hoops,

Here is a link to the Witt Webcast.

I couldn't find a link for an ONU webcast.

Hope this helps you out.

Jeremybozz

Is the Marietta vs Bridgewater game on radio or the internet?

division3hoops

Thanks ScotsFan.  I will definitely check that out. 

ScotsFan

Quote from: Jeremybozz on December 19, 2006, 11:44:57 AM
Is the Marietta vs Bridgewater game on radio or the internet?
Sorry, I couldn't find a link.  It looks like Marietta uses Stretch which is the same as Wittenberg, but it doesn't look like they broadcast all of their games over the internet.