MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Collinge

Pat has caculated the top 200 QoWIs nationwide and posted the result in a couple of the multi-region rooms.  Here's the GL teams extracted from that list, FYI.  I have added the in-region win %, which can be found here.

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 20, 2007, 05:01:39 AM
OK, these passed a great deal of scrutiny tonight. Through Sunday's games:

Rank   Points   Team
11   10.600   Lake Erie (.950)
20   10.318   John Carroll (.727)
21   10.316   Wooster (.895)
31   10.100   Ohio Northern (.700)
38   9.950   Wittenberg (.800)
47   9.765   Hope (.824)
60   9.500   Capital (.667)
65   9.450   Baldwin-Wallace (.700)
72   9.316   Westminster (Pa.) (.842)
75   9.261   Otterbein (.609)
82   9.174   Penn State-Behrend
115   8.619   Ohio Wesleyan (.739)
116   8.619   Carnegie Mellon (.524)
118   8.588   Calvin (.647)
132   8.435   Heidelberg (.522)
135   8.400   Bethany (.700)
148   8.188   Tri-State (.625)
159   8.083   Wilmington (.500)
164   8.000   Muskingum (.478)
166   7.944   Albion (.556)
197   7.591   Mount Union (.364)

Based on this, I'd expect Wednesday's regional rankings to be

1. Lake Erie
2. Wooster
3. JCU
4. Hope
5. Wittenberg
6. Ohio Northern

pennstghs

Anyone know the status of Badenhop from ONU as his injury status may well determine the Penguin's fate
WE ARE.................PENN STATE!
"Let's GO WITT"

David Collinge

Quote from: pennstghs on February 20, 2007, 12:02:39 PM
Anyone know the status of Badenhop from ONU as his injury status may well determine the Penguin's fate

You've got the wrong end of the earth; Badenhop is a Polar Bear.   :)

pennstghs

I was thinking ahead i guess to Wright State's huge showdown with the "Penguins" of Youngstown State as they attempt to host the conference tourney.

At least i got the P right
"Let's GO WITT"

kiltedbryan

Quote from: pennstghs on February 20, 2007, 12:02:39 PM

Badenhop is fine.  He was injuried 2/7 in a game against Wilmington.  Apparently it was never very serious.  While wearing an ankle brace, he did not start on 2/10 at Capital, but I saw that game and he ended up playing his usual 32 minutes.  Last Saturday he played 32 minutes and led all scorers with 21 points in ONU's win over Mount Union.

pennstghs

Well thats a relief for the POLAR BEARS as he is key to their run
"Let's GO WITT"

onefan

Scotsbrod and David, Thanks for the info on the criteria for the host sites. I  also didn't realize the NCAA actually dictates which side of the gym each team is to be seated. I was also somewhat surprised that ONU is still projected to be hanging in there at #6 in the region.

kiltedbryan

Quote from: onefan on February 20, 2007, 10:14:24 PM
I was also somewhat surprised that ONU is still projected to be hanging in there at #6 in the region.

Hanging in there is probably right.  ONU must hope (pun somewhat intended) that Lake Erie and Hope win their respective tournaments.  If they don't, both become Pool C locks (or at least they will certainly still be considered before ONU or Wittenberg would be).  The best situation for ONU is for them to reach the OAC finals (itself no small task), and also to have all of David's projected regional top four win their conference tournaments.  Rooting for a Wittenberg loss in the NCAC semifinals, hurting Witt's in-region winning % and QoWI, would help, as well.  In that case, ONU might be able to slip ahead of Witt in the "secret" ranking by going 2-1 with all three games in the OAC tourney against higher QoWI opponents than Wittenberg's NCAC games.

Toph

How do you guys see things going down tonight?  Here's what I think:

Capital over Musky (my heart is with the Muskies though)
JCU over Wilmington
BW over Heidelberg...Tori Davis is too good.
Northern over Otterbein

Now what do you think the odds are that every favorite is going to win?  I'd say the most likely upsets are Heidelberg over BW if they get hot from behind the arc, and possibly Otterbein over Northern. 

I don't see the top 2 seeds losing.

kiltedbryan

Toph,

I made my picks here on the NCAC pick 'em board.  I decided that I had to go with at least one upset, and so I picked against JCU.

I think we're looking at a one bid conference unless JCU is upset during the tournament, which means that ONU and Capital, in particular, are playing for their postseaon and NCAA lives in every one of these games.  It should make for dramatic and fun basketball.

Toph

I think the JCU upset is a tough pick...especially since they just beat Wilmington by almost 20 last Saturday, but anything can happen once the tournament begins.

kiltedbryan

Yeah, I wasn't actually making it because I think JCU won't win; more because I just felt that something crazy had to happen in the first round of the OAC tournament, or it just wouldn't be the OAC tournament.  I couldn't see myself picking all the top seeds, so someone had to fall.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if JCU takes the AQ from this conference and surprises people in the NCAAs.

kiltedbryan

Quote from: David Collinge on February 20, 2007, 11:41:38 AM

Based on this, I'd expect Wednesday's regional rankings to be

1. Lake Erie
2. Wooster
3. JCU
4. Hope
5. Wittenberg
6. Ohio Northern

David was close, as you can see here.  John Carroll comes in at #3 in the rankings, and ONU moves to #5, ahead of Wittenberg.  Witt's loss to Allegheny has damaged their Pool C hopes.

Toph

Quote from: scotsbrod on February 21, 2007, 03:24:43 PMI wouldn't be surprised at all if JCU takes the AQ from this conference and surprises people in the NCAAs.

I wouldn't either.  Much of it depends on the play of Brandon Mimes and Terry Walsh (who has really come on strong lately).  JCU will probably have to figure out a way to beat those losers from across town, though.  If John Carroll gets past Wilma and manages to beat BW, at least the Jackets can take solace in the fact that they can count Kenny Roda among their alumni, while John Carroll can claim nobodys like Tim Russert and Don Shula.

What I do find interesting is this debate...say Carroll goes to the finals and loses in a close one to Capital or Northern...is there any chance they're in?

sac

Didn't the OAC used to play all 3 rounds at one site starting on Thursday?